2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDGE Evo for F150 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:53 PM
archeat2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDGE Evo for F150 5.4L

I am very seriously considering buying a EDGE Evo Tuner for my 08 F150 5.4L SCREW FX4 that currently bone stock. My only concern, besides the wife gripping for 2 weeks about an unneeded purchase, is that it may cause some issue with the truck down the road. I drive my trucks pretty hard and so I don't really need anything helping me tear up a $40k truck. Has anyone had any issues with their truck that they think they can honestly track back to the EDGE causing? If so has Ford given any grief about warranty work because of tracking it back to the tuner?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:00 PM
VoodooRacer
Senior User
get a SCT X3 with custom tunes. I wanna five star is the one everyone recommends? Some one will chime in and correct me.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
archeat2
Junior User
Same question for you then if you suggest the SCT X3, have you had any issues with your truck that you think were caused by the tuner? Everyone talks about how great the performance of all the tuners is but what about after you've had it on the truck for 100K miles?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
I got a SCT X3 with custom tunes from 5 star tunning. Mike is a great person and can set you up with the tunes that will best fit you. He asked me what I do and I told him I tow a little, like to give her some gas, and just drive back and forth to work. He set me up with 87 economy, 91 performance, and 91 tow tunes. I have had nothing but good luck with it so far. Just if I wana go I hit the gas. Mike at 5 star will answer any question you have. He also has a top notch customer service and will help you out if needed

Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
I'm curious about long-term use myself...dunno'

Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Ya I have wondered that too. But I dont race my truck. I drive mostly like it was stock except sometimes I might hit the gas wide open from a stop. I cant see doing normal driving with a few wide open takes off doing alot of damage. I had to get a new trans but I dont think my programmer caused it cause the reverse only went out. I would imagine that if the programmer did it my drive gears would have been messed up. Just some of the chances you take when you buy a used truck.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:09 AM
archeat2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Still Smoking
Ya I have wondered that too. But I dont race my truck. I drive mostly like it was stock except sometimes I might hit the gas wide open from a stop. I cant see doing normal driving with a few wide open takes off doing alot of damage. I had to get a new trans but I dont think my programmer caused it cause the reverse only went out. I would imagine that if the programmer did it my drive gears would have been messed up. Just some of the chances you take when you buy a used truck.
Thanks for the input. I bought my truck new so I'm the only one that's beat on it. I don't race it but I do put it to work, it triples as my daily driver, ranch work truck and hunting rig. I pull my 1960 International Tractor with it as well as occasionally stab my father inlaws boat in the lake with it. At the same time it's my toy (Can't afford anything else because of my payments). So I like to mash on the gas myself and hear that V8 roar. I just want it to do all the above for a solid 100K miles and still be able to trade it off on a new one. So any mod I make I want to make sure it helps not hinders that goal.

Come on guys I know that there is some of you on here that have used programmers on these trucks for a few years and tons of miles. Have they cause any issues with the reliability of your truck?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by archeat2
Thanks for the input. I bought my truck new so I'm the only one that's beat on it. I don't race it but I do put it to work, it triples as my daily driver, ranch work truck and hunting rig. I pull my 1960 International Tractor with it as well as occasionally stab my father inlaws boat in the lake with it. At the same time it's my toy (Can't afford anything else because of my payments). So I like to mash on the gas myself and hear that V8 roar. I just want it to do all the above for a solid 100K miles and still be able to trade it off on a new one. So any mod I make I want to make sure it helps not hinders that goal.

Come on guys I know that there is some of you on here that have used programmers on these trucks for a few years and tons of miles. Have they cause any issues with the reliability of your truck?
doubt they'd admit it if it did...they'd probably blame themselves.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM
rcaddell
Junior User
Not on an F150 but I can vouch for SCT at least as a tuner not having ill effects long term. We have been tuning the V8SHOs for quite some time.

The device will not cause an issue. If you are worried about warranty, I would wait. Ford CAN deny a warranty claim if it is found to be computer related and they see it has been tampered with. And even returning to stock tune, ford still knows it has been tamp

As for destroying a vehicle. Only if the person writing the tunes does not know what they are doing. You have to find someone you would trust. For the F150, 5 Star, Troyer and PHP have great records.

If you are set on Edge, just go to PHP and get the Gryphon. I would not run canned tunes and the Gryphon is the only custom tune capapble Edge product.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
archeat2
Junior User
Good to hear someone who has had long term experience with a tuner. Why are you against the canned tune? Seems to me that the canned tune while it may not give the top performance, will have the most engineering and research behind it. I guess the same could be said about the stock programming but forget stock.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
kato14709
Senior User
Don't worry about canned tunes, I have the Evo on my 06 5.4 and run the 93 octane performance program and it runs great. I do have a Saleen cat back dual exhaust and a S&B CAI on it too. It really woke it up.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
rcaddell
Junior User
Canned tunes are just that. canned tunes. Basic tunes that will "work" across the board. If spending the money on a tuner, might as well get the most out of it and have custom tunes done. You'll get better results ... similar to comparing a custom made tailored suit to one you buy at sears and they hem the pants. Will the sears one work? Sure. Will it look as good as a custom made suit? Nope

Old 07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
kato14709
Senior User
It depends on what you want one for. I don't race anyone with it or expect to push it to it's limits, I just wanted some good performance. I got what I wanted from the Evo, so why would I want more. It's up to the individual that's lookng for a tuner. To each his own.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My personal preferance is SCT X3 or Gryphon with custom tunes. My biggest reason for that is for transmission concerns. With custom tunes you can tailor all stategies for your calibration and the tranny will probably perform much better. And if there is any need to make any changes it can be done much quicker and usually better with a custom tuner who knows exactly what you have instead of the factory rep who deals with many people with canned tunes. And when you are talking the same money, it's a no-brainer for me.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 PM
kato14709
Senior User
I can't argue with a custom tuned tuner for the same price as a stock evo. I was just trying to point out that the evo works great for me and that it's not a bad thing to have. No one should be afraid to use one, it won't hurt your truck anymore than a custom tuner would.

Quick Reply: EDGE Evo for F150 5.4L