Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Im gonna light it on fire

Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Roark
Freshman User
Roark is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im gonna light it on fire

Ive been battling this friggin transmission for two days. Im trying to put a C6 in my 88 F150 2WD. I have the trans in and bolted up, but when I try to turn the crank to tighten the converter nuts it wont budge. Ive never had so much trouble with a transmission. Please help before I get the matches.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
convertor is wrong one or not seated properly.

i figure when trans was out you put convertor on and spun it some?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I ran into that putting the transmission in my brothers dodge. I had to loosen the bell to block bolts and separate the tranny and motor just a bit.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by quicklook2 View Post
convertor is wrong one or not seated properly.

i figure when trans was out you put convertor on and spun it some?
what he said^^^^^^ you have the converter jammed in there. Hopefully you didnt screw up the pump or converter when you tightened the trans to the engine. Loosen the trans back up and spin the converter and push it back into the pump.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Roark
Freshman User
Well I finally got it. The convertor wasnt seated all the way. I swore it was all the way in. I couldnt remember how deep it went because I pulled the trans a few months ago. Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 PM
jr32560
Post Fiend
jr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Well I finally got it. The convertor wasnt seated all the way. I swore it was all the way in. I couldnt remember how deep it went because I pulled the trans a few months ago. Thanks for the responses.
is the trans okay?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Roark
Freshman User
Im not sure yet. I got the crossmember and the starter bolted in. I have to wait until later tonight to finish. Everything looked ok when I pulled the converter out, so I could seat it right. I think it will be fine, because a few of the bolts to the engine were just hand tight. I realized it wasnt right before I torqued anything down. I should have read through here before I tried to put it back in. I've been waiting a long time and have added a lot of mods, so I cant wait to start this thing.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
HrdDrv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HrdDrv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Heck, I can relate to this. Put a tranny in a car, same issue. Had to bolt tranny to a frame straightener, weld eye-bolt to converter, and pull away to seperate 'em.
Re-installed tranny and all was ok after that. The next week, the car was sold cause it was a fuel-hog...

Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
common mistake.

glad you got it in, finally.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Roark
Freshman User
I'll let everybody know how it shifts after I start it and let the cam break-in tonight. I put a TCI shift kit in so hopefully I'll be able to tell if theres something wrong without being distracted by the harder shifts.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
dustybumpers
Posting Legend
dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
you'll know as soon as you fire it up if you hurt it, trans fluid will pour out the front of the trans, this I speak from doing the same thing. got my fingers crossed for you

Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM
jr32560
Post Fiend
jr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
you'll know as soon as you fire it up if you hurt it, trans fluid will pour out the front of the trans, this I speak from doing the same thing. got my fingers crossed for you
or he broke the ears off the front pump and it won't move

Old 07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Roark
Freshman User
Well, I should have never made the joke about lighting my truck on fire. I got it running and let the cam break-in, then I tried to drive it. I put it in gear and it wouldnt move unless I revved it up. I checked the tranny fluid and it was low still, so I added some more. I got it to the right level and it went into gear. The truck didnt feel right like the trans wasnt hooking up, so I turned around to take it home. This was when the giant plume of white smoke came out from the hood. I jumped out and there were flames shooting out from the passenger side down by my headers. I ran to the bed and grabbed the jug of water I had unless there was a coolant leak and put the fire out. I lit a cigarette and tried to not tihnk about bashing my head through the window. I sat there for a minute until a 2500 HD Chevy came by and towed me home. I didnt really check it out to close but it was definitly trans fluid that started the fire. Im going on vacation tonight, and I'll be gone for two weeks. Its a good thing I'll be gone, so I can get a break from my truck before we kill each other. When I get home I will tally the damages and let you guys know what happens.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
i am sorry this has happened.

i am also real sad that a chevy truck had to tow you.

when you get back it will hopefully get better.

enjoy your vacation.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM
dustybumpers
Posting Legend
dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
hopefully, just spilled trans fluid on the exhaust when filling.... I hope, I hope

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Im gonna light it on fire

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.