Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Im gonna light it on fire

Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
Neptoess is starting off with a positive reputation.
wow that sucks. especially getting towed by a chevy. ive seen more embarassing though, like the driver of the ram 5500 that was being towed by an f250. i bet he was really grabbing life by the horns then

Old 07-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Roark
Freshman User
Roark is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im back, and its good news and bad news. The good news is the fire didnt damage anything too bad. I will have to replace a little bit of wiring to the fan motor and related parts. I had to put a new vac. line to the MAP sensor. I put a new gasket on the trans. pan and that fixed the leak. I made sure the trans. lines were tight, and the dipstick was secure. I refilled the trans. and took it for a spin. It was hooking up good in first, but wouldnt shift into second. I also noticed a cloud of smoke everytime I let off the gas. When I got home I looked under my truck and saw that trans. fluid was blowing all the way back to the rear bumper. The whole passenger side of the chassis was covered in fluid. It looks like its coming from around the servo(if thats the peace sign looking cover on a C6). I think Im going to have to pony up for a built AOD from TCI or Goodfellas. Ive spent enough for trans. fluid to have a good start for a trans. I KNOW is good.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
alxsnmr
Posting Guru
alxsnmr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like the servo cover is leaking bad enough that the second gear piston cant build pressure to lock the band up, which creates second gear. Unless the servo piston is cocked so that the tranny actually blew the servo cover gasket during application of the second gear band.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
cchimuk
Senior User
cchimuk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to hear about the fire and good thing not too much was harmed, keep your chin up it will get better. just think of the satisfaction you get next time you tow a chevy home...lol.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Neptoess
Senior User
Though I would personally try to fix the C6, I can't lie to you. The AOD is a very nice transmission, and will give you better mpgs than the C6. I've had no problems with my AODE and I've put some strain on it before. I should prolly get a stall kit and a shift kit from all the footbraked launches I do dragracing the mopar kids from school(because all they can afford are things like straight 6 aspens and neons haha)

Old 07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
1966Tbird is starting off with a positive reputation.
don't get an aod they suck to hold 2nd to 6k you have to pull it back into first gear at 4500rpms and they are really easy to miss a shift in unless it's the one with a full manual valvebody and pushbutton overdrive i personally like the c6 tranny, just put in a shift kit and a r-code servo and your ready to race, i have a c6 behind my 700hp 390 (nitrous fed) with a 2800 stall and tci clutches r-code servo and a tci manual valvebody and havn't blown it apart yet

Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Roark
Freshman User
I would try to fix the C6 in my truck, but I dont know if it is any good. I dont know s*&t about transmissions. I already put a shift kit in and put a drain plug in the pan. Ive gone through over thirty gallons of trans fluid. I bought the trans. off Craigslist, and the guy said it was rebuilt with app. 40K. If you have read the entire thread then you know Im not sure if I have screwed the front pump or TC when wrestling with it under the truck. I hate to throw away money, Im to the point were I dont care how long my truck sits in the garage as long as when Im done I can beat the hell out of it when I want and it will keep going.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 AM
BigSix1
Elder User
BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Ive gone through over thirty gallons of trans fluid.
Dude,

Seriously--30 GALLONS? How?

I would have swapped in a manual by about GALLON number 20--LOL.

Seriously, I do wonder why people put up with all of the problems automatics seem to present, particularly in the higher mileages. All I know about automatics is I don't like 'em, they get worse mileage and don't last as long as manuals and even the manuals' clutches, sometimes.

Oh wait--I remember: WIVES. And girlfriends. My g.f. is more destructive than a tropical storm, with a gearshift in her hand. I gave up on her ever learning, finally, years ago. (I've taught others fine, but not this one.)

But I do know that the C-6 is considered "bulletproof." And it sounds like you could use more "bulletproof" and less hassle right about now. However, manuals are even more "bulletproof" than C-6's, IMO....

I hope you get a good one, whichever way you go--good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Neptoess
Senior User
yeah 30 gallons of trans fluid costs about as much as a tranny rebuild haha

Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Roark
Freshman User
Woops I meant over thirty quarts. I am considering all options right now. I really dont like auto's either. I would like to swap to a manual but I dont know wich one I would switch to. A ZF is too HD for my application I think. It would seem like overkill to have that trans. in a 2WD SWB F150. I would think about a M5OD, but Ive heard they dont like tourqe, and my 351 puts out somewhere around 400ft.lbs. Has anyone swapped in a T5? I would think a upgraded T5 could handle some serious tourqe. Are there any other manuals worth considering?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
HrdDrv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HrdDrv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I never let my other half drive Raven if she is even Near argument level 2. Not only is it bad on the relationship, the clutch, etc, but the Johnson Rod makes a MEAN weapon!!! Besides, I Love My Truck!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
BigSix1
Elder User
BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BigSix1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Woops I meant over thirty quarts. I am considering all options right now. I really dont like auto's either. I would like to swap to a manual but I dont know wich one I would switch to. A ZF is too HD for my application I think. It would seem like overkill to have that trans. in a 2WD SWB F150. I would think about a M5OD, but Ive heard they dont like tourqe, and my 351 puts out somewhere around 400ft.lbs. Has anyone swapped in a T5? I would think a upgraded T5 could handle some serious tourqe. Are there any other manuals worth considering?
Okay--30 quarts--that's better. But still, I'd hate to be a motorcyclist in your town (no offense). Swap in a manual--save a motorcyclist! (Knock on wood three times).

I don't know the upper limit re: torque on an M50D, but I do know I love to shift, and if you put in a ZF you're putting in a FOUR SPEED, other than when you're in a heavy traffic jam and you actually USE the first gear, which is a CREEPER. The M5OD, OTHO, has beautifully-spaced ratios, IME, with an F-150 2x4 and a 3.55 rear.

I'm sure someone here can advise you re: a real five speed that can handle 400 ft.lb, if, in fact, the Mazda cannot--which I am not sure about--maybe the Mazda can? Again, I dunno.

Good luck.

Big Six

Old 07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
alxsnmr
Posting Guru
alxsnmr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The Mazda and the factory standard T-5 in trucks both get about the same rep and have about the same upper limit on torque IIRC. I think the T-56 in the later mustangs could handle more torque, and you can build at T-5 to handle significantly more torque than factory spec, same goes with an AOD and C-6. But it sounds like you got a dud of a transmission though.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Roark
Freshman User
Im thinkin its a dud too. Im going to make a last ditch effort to fix it tonight. Im going to check and readjust everything I can, and give it a go. Ive been searchin on what to check for and ways to adjust a C6, so theres a glimmer of hope. I think switching to a manual may be out too from what Ive read theres really no good fit for my app. thats also somewhat cost effective.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Alvin in AZ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Alvin in AZ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah but.

Since it's got an automatic transmission in it, heck, it doesn't matter
if it's working or not, it's just junk, and might as well be lit on fire. :/

Just my humble and sorry-assed opinion. ;)

YMMV? ;)

Alvin in AZ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Im gonna light it on fire

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.