1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 Ranger 2.5L...throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:11 PM
XLT2.5L
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw

So don't be surprised if the problem returns, & if does at least you'll know what to replace.
Absolutely. Any thoughts on why it started doing it more as the weather turned cold...does the air temp have anything to do with the IACs function once the vehicle is warmed up? I understand the IAC is what controls the engine to idle higher to get it to warm up, but once the engine is up to operating temp during cold weather months does it do anything?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:59 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Don't know what kind of deposits your IAC had, or where they were located, but in cold weather, deposits typically get more viscous & thus more likely to cause things to hang up.

So if we have heavy IAC deposits & depending on where they are, it may be more prone to act out in cooler weather.

When the throttle plate is closed, the IAC is online & controls the engines idle speed, no matter the engine temp, load, or time of year.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM
XLT2.5L
Junior User
So I forgot my login for the site and havent been able to post for a while...

But now that it is cooling off again I am starting to drive the truck again. I couldnt drive it over the summer because I have never been able to solve the pinging problem, and with summer time temps in the 110+ degree range everyday the pinging was out of control.

I have though replaced the IAC valve with a new part and the hanging idle/revving problem has not been solved. If anything it is more prevalent now. Whereas before it would do it from time to time and would climb in RPM, now the engine hangs on idle on every upshift/downshift and pretty much all the time....the only difference is it will not climb in RPMs, it just hangs until I come to a complete stop, then it instantly goes back to a perfect idle. It is very annoying especially when Im in stop and go traffic or somewhere i want to drive slow like a parking lot, because the truck will drive on its own (like its on cruise control). As someone said earlier in the thread, it wont really accelerate since its only a 2.5l but it most certainly maintains speed/RPM. I have read where some trucks needed to be flashed or reprogrammed by ford for this issue to be solved is this true? What else can I look at?

Im pretty damn close to just putting the truck up on craigslist and selling it. Between the pinging and hanging idle im just tired of throwing money, parts and time/effort into the truck with no positive results to show for it.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:04 AM
pawpaw
Review post 57 on the pcm reflach.

On the ping, maybe begin a new thread, so you get replys just for your ping problem.

A number of things can cause it, so do you have a CEL lit???? If so have the computer scanned for trouble codes & post ALL of the code Numbers.

Things like, vacuum leaks & this would include a stuck open PCV valve or leaking intake manafold gasket, dirty or defective MAF sensor, wrong heat range spark plugs, out of spec/octane gasoline, combustion chamber deposits, intake valve deposits, faulty O2 sensors, faulty IAT sensor, are some of the things that come to mind that might cause engine ping.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
XLT2.5L
Junior User
Review post 57 on the pcm reflach.

On the ping, maybe begin a new thread, so you get replys just for your ping problem.
I printed out post #57 and it describes my problem to a T. Any idea is this something where I can just take my truck to ford and show them the printout and get the PCM flashed/programmed for free since Ford recognized that certain Rangers have that problem, or will they try and charge me for the service if they feel that it would solve my problem? Also, Im just curious what would be said since the bulletin is from '99 so it is going on 11 years old. I could tell them that the previous owner of the truck (single owner) said the truck had done that for most of the time he owned it, but I am just wondering if they will say no since it has been quite some time since the bulletin came out and I am just now trying to get it serviced.

As for the pinging, I creeated a thread on here a year or more ago and received help from you, PawPaw as well as others but everytime I tried something new I would think the problem was solved, only for some time to pass and the truck start pinging again as always. Since the truck sait for the last 4-5 months I havent done anything to it, so I still need to replace the fuel filter but besides that I am at a loss as to what I can do besides the last resort of replacing the fuel pump. As I said in that thread a buddy of mine had an old Mazda Navajo 5spd that had the same problem and pinged at part throttle (never any stalling, hesitation, or bucking just like my truck..perfect driveability besides the pinging) until he had the fuel pump replaced and the pinging was gone. I am going to change the fuel filter and if that doesnt fix the problem I will replace the fuel pump and if that doesnt fix it the truck is being sold.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...p-pinging.html

Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 PM
pawpaw
This is a link to your ping tread, where you finally found the problem to be the MAF sensor, so that was the last we heard on the ping issue.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...p-pinging.html

On the idle question, why not call your Dealer & make an appoinment with the Service Manager & tell him your idle speed woes & all the extensive trouble shooting you've done, take your TSB print out & find out if your engine qualifies for a reflash.

The TSB lists which engines qualify & the TSB says they can only do the ones listed!!!!

OR maybe there is a more up to date TSB, in any case the SM would know, or can find out on Oasis.

If a reflash is done, then see how it affects the ping problem, if any.

I see you've still not replaced the fuel filter & they are due for replacement every 30K miles & you have well over 100K on your ride now & because it's a used ride, don't know when the fuel filter was last replaced. Yah I know, it ran ok after replacing the MAF sensor with the old one your friend had laying around his gararge, but now it's a year later & you still haven't replaced that due scheduled maintenence item, that been in there who knows how long!!!!

You could have ok static fuel pressure, but if the filter is clogged, you could have rate of flow problems when cruising & demand is greater, but the filter is restricting flow, then you'd get a lean mixture.

After you replace the fuel filter, do a flow rate over time, to check the fuel pumps specified deivery rate, to see if it's wimpy, Before throwing a new fuel pump at the problem!!!!

We should pick back up on the ping problem on page 2 of your origional thread I posted a ink too above, as we're off topic here & the origional thread has a lot of good pertinent trouble shooting history there, thats worth adding to in your ping trouble shoot!!!!

This ping saga, is worthy of a soap opera series!!!! lol

Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM
jonbonleon
New User
So glad I found this thread. For some reason it took me a while to find it through Googling.

I had the same high-revving problem on my 2000 2.5L Ranger with 101k miles. I bought the truck off CL last fall, and didn't notice the problem until the sale was closed. The problem was more intermittent then and up til the last week or two, when it became pretty much constant, every time I ran through the gears. It got to be pretty embarrassing at stoplights. And a little scary, even if I know I can always just throw it in neutral. In any event, I started to look for a solution again and found this thread.

Following instructions posted here, two days ago I removed the IAC, cleaned it out with Q-tips and a can of MAF cleaner, and put it back on. I used the same gasket. I actually forgot to reconnect the electrical connector, so it idled very low when I started the engine again, and the check engine light came on (P1504 - fault in the IAC circuit) - but I reconnected the plug, and then the accelerator problem was gone. It's been great for two days, and the CEL also turned off yesterday. Now it's like a normal vehicle again. Amazing.

It looks like cleaning or replacing the IAC didn't work for everybody, but it was definitely worth a shot for me.

Ford Ranger high idle, stuck accelerator, rev

Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM
wmaughon1
New User
Any Luck??

Originally Posted by actualknight
Article No.
98-26-8

01/04/99

^ IDLE - HIGH IDLE SPEED (1300-2000 RPM) DURING
CLOSED THROTTLE DECELERATION WITH THE
TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL OR WITH THE
CLUTCH DEPRESSED

^ MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) - MIL
ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE
(DTC) P0320 STORED IN MEMORY

^ LAMP - MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL)
ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE
(DTC) P0320 STORED IN MEMORY

LIGHT TRUCK:
1998-99 RANGER

CALIBRATION
8-49A-R08, 8-49B-R10, 8-49S-R10, 8-49T-R06, 9B1M-AA-A, 9B1M-AB-A, 9B1M-AC-A, 9B1M-BA-B, 9B1M-BB-B

WARNING THIS MODIFICATION IS AUTHORIZED ONLY FOR THE LISTED ENGINE(S). PERFORMING THIS MODIFICATION ON OTHER ENGINE CALIBRATIONS IS UNAUTHORIZED AND COULD CREATE LIABILITY UNDER APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR LOCAL LAWS.

ISSUE
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate and Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0320 may be stored in memory on some vehicles. There may also be a high idle rpm (1300-2000) on closed throttle deceleration in Neutral or clutch depressed. This may be caused by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration.

ACTION
Reprogram the PCM to latest calibration level. This more robust calibration reduces deceleration air flow and reduces the possibility of high rpm with high limit hardware. In addition, the calibration error is fixed to reduce the possibility of unique driver action causing a false P0320 MIL code.

Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

982608A Reprogram Powertrain 0.6 Hr.
Control Module (PCM)
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
RECALEM 42
Has anyone tried this ^^ (reprogramming pcm) to solve the 98 ranger 2.5 high revving when decelerating in neutral or with the clutch pressed? Mine is doing it really badly, and I'd like to know if anyone has had any luck with this approach before I take it in to the dealership. I've tried replacing the IAC, cleaning the MAF, and deep cleaning the throttle body... nothing has proven effective. Please help?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by wmaughon1
Has anyone tried this ^^ (reprogramming pcm) to solve the 98 ranger 2.5 high revving when decelerating in neutral or with the clutch pressed? Mine is doing it really badly, and I'd like to know if anyone has had any luck with this approach before I take it in to the dealership. I've tried replacing the IAC, cleaning the MAF, and deep cleaning the throttle body... nothing has proven effective. Please help?
Do you have a lit CEL/SES/MIL lamp with the above trouble codes stored in the computers memory???? If so, with all the work you've done & you being sure that the throttle cable isn't sticking, or if you have cruise control it's not acting out & your certain you don't have some other vacuum leak, it would seem you'd be in a good position to be helped by the above computer re-programming.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
wmaughon1
New User
Do you have a lit CEL/SES/MIL lamp with the above trouble codes stored in the computers memory???? If so, with all the work you've done & you being sure that the throttle cable isn't sticking, or if you have cruise control it's not acting out & your certain you don't have some other vacuum leak, it would seem you'd be in a good position to be helped by the above computer re-programming.
I don't have a lit CEL, etc. and I don't have cruise control. As for the vacuum leak, I don't think I do but I'm not 100 percent sure. The actual problem I'm having is: Occasional high idle when pressing the clutch or shifting to neutral when coming to a stop. The idle will slowly climb and eventually go back down. I have to nearly stall out in a higher gear to make stop the rpms from continually raising. If I stay in gear while it is happening, the throttle sticks and the current speed is maintained. Because it is random and not a persistent occurrence, it makes me want to assume that it is not caused by a vacuum leak, but then again, my car knowledge is limited. I had a mechanic replace my throttle position sensor last week, and it helped to a certain extent. The RPMs don't climb nearly as high, and it stops within a few seconds, but it seems like it is still an unnatural/un-smooth occurance. With the truck running, I unplugged the throttle position sensor (kind of like you would with the IAC sensor test) and nothing happened. No CEL turned on ... nothing. Is this normal? Could it mean there is a bad connection to the new TPS? I am trying to borrow an ohms meter and see for myself, but in the meantime... Any thoughts?

Pawpaw, I appreciate it! You're awesome for responding

Old 10-04-2013, 03:19 PM
wmaughon1
New User
Also, speaking of the idle air control test, I just disconnected it with the engine running and nothing happened. In the past when I ran this test, the rpms would drop really really low.. and now nothing. So should I replace the IAC?

Old 10-04-2013, 04:35 PM
wmaughon1
New User
Dang it!!

I just did the IAC test again and the rpms dropped. That being said, they didn't drop as much as they used to. It does seem to be idling slightly inconsistently. I'm so confused. I thought that it was either broken or it wasn't.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:52 PM
wmaughon1
New User
One more thing!
when I barely(and i mean just barely) give it any gas, it sputters, but once i give it a little more, it's fine. could this be related at all? Could it be a fuel filter issue? I haven't changed it since I've owned the truck (the past 70,000 miles or so)

Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 PM
pawpaw
Without some trouble code clues, its difficult to determine whats going on. You may have more than one problem, so if you could come by a scantool to have a look at some sensor PID inputs to the computer, say fuel trim, O2 sensor readings, ect, it might help shed some light on where best to look next.

Disconnecting the IAC should cause a drop in engine idle speed, so maybe remove, inspect, or clean the IAC internally with a plastic safe spray product & see if it'll make a difference. Cleaning may not last, it didn't for me on my 99 4.0L, but was a good trouble shooting step. Check its electrical connector for corrosion, bent pins, spread sockets, cut wires, or damaged insulation. Make sure the IAC figure 8 "O" ring gasket is in place & it & its mating surface isn't damaged.

My fuel filter scheduled maintenance replacement is 30K miles, sounds like your X2+ past that, so maybe begin by getting All of your past & present due scheduled replacement maintenance items up to date, then see where your rpm woes stand.

You should consider starting a new thread, so you get answers just for your problem.
Copy & paste questions & answers you've gotten so far, or list all of the things you've done & the results.