Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATS ported shroud - HP Loss ?

 
  #1  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:19 PM
njellison
njellison is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vashon, WA
Posts: 91
njellison is starting off with a positive reputation.
ATS ported shroud - HP Loss ?

I need to get a ported shroud or try the ww option to minimize turbo stall on shifts. I was wondering what keeps the ATS ported shroud bleed ring from bleeding under boost. Is there some hp loss using this shroud? Anybody done a Dyno to verify?
 
  #2  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Az.scarecrow's Avatar
Az.scarecrow
Az.scarecrow is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendale, Az
Posts: 213
Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I cant answer your question for HP#'s as I only dyno'd my truck once before the shroud went on.

As for the power, lets just say the power is more usable now. Not sure if there is a loss though. I hear with the WW sometimes people loose a few pounds of boost. I lost no boost with the shroud.
 
  #3  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Riffraff Performance's Avatar
Riffraff Performance
Riffraff Performance is online now
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,939
Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
I haven't ever heard about any HP loss and the Ported Housing seems to hold better boost by 1-3psi. I don't think you have anything to worry about on the HP.
 
  #4  
Old 07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Az.scarecrow's Avatar
Az.scarecrow
Az.scarecrow is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendale, Az
Posts: 213
Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance View Post
I haven't ever heard about any HP loss and the Ported Housing seems to hold better boost by 1-3psi. I don't think you have anything to worry about on the HP.
I think your right. After I got the WG adjusted, it seems to make boost nums better/quicker and more soild. No more jumpy needle.
 
  #5  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:06 PM
njellison
njellison is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vashon, WA
Posts: 91
njellison is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow View Post
I cant answer your question for HP#'s as I only dyno'd my truck once before the shroud went on.

As for the power, lets just say the power is more usable now. Not sure if there is a loss though. I hear with the WW sometimes people loose a few pounds of boost. I lost no boost with the shroud.
I would prefer to not do the ww conversion but cannot visualize how the ported shroud is constructed and not bleed power during boost. Do you remember if the port was visible at all times through the housing or is there some valving action?
 

Last edited by njellison; 07-05-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
  #6  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Riffraff Performance's Avatar
Riffraff Performance
Riffraff Performance is online now
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,939
Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by njellison View Post
I would prefer to not do the ww conversion but cannot visualize how the ported shroud is constructed and not bleed power during boost. Do you remember if the port was visible at all times through the housing or is there some valving action?
No valving, it is just the way it is machined.
 
  #7  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM
spdmpo's Avatar
spdmpo
spdmpo is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,542
spdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to behold
If anything, I feel more power and boost after the housing.
 
  #8  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Az.scarecrow's Avatar
Az.scarecrow
Az.scarecrow is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendale, Az
Posts: 213
Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I should have taken a pic, but there is a narrow groove cut about center wheel and it looks like it bleeds back to the intake side. Like I said, the power is now usable because the surge isnt there.

I'm still new at this, but what I see/learned is depending on RPM and boost pressure, the engine would'nt take the boost anyways, now it just has a way to bypass, instead of stalling the wheel. If your surging, your not making friendly power anyways.?.?.?.? Right?.?.

Does this help you any?
 
  #9  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:50 PM
njellison
njellison is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vashon, WA
Posts: 91
njellison is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clay,
That is pretty much what I figured. There is probably some pressure boost loss due to the differential of pressures on the two sides of the housing but as I understand it most feel that drivability is improved by this smoothing out of the differential in pressure.
 
  #10  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
njellison
njellison is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vashon, WA
Posts: 91
njellison is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow View Post
I should have taken a pic, but there is a narrow groove cut about center wheel and it looks like it bleeds back to the intake side. Like I said, the power is now usable because the surge isnt there.

I'm still new at this, but what I see/learned is depending on RPM and boost pressure, the engine would'nt take the boost anyways, now it just has a way to bypass, instead of stalling the wheel. If your surging, your not making friendly power anyways.?.?.?.? Right?.?.

Does this help you any?
That's kinda what I figured but I think you have said it better. Thanks for the input
 
  #11  
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Izzy351's Avatar
Izzy351
Izzy351 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas-Ft. Worth
Posts: 14,542
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Here are some pics:






 
  #12  
Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM
njellison
njellison is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vashon, WA
Posts: 91
njellison is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Joe. Nice photos. Rep to ya !
 
  #13  
Old 07-06-2009, 02:01 PM
njellison
njellison is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vashon, WA
Posts: 91
njellison is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK this has been bugging me so I did some more research and found that in fact performance efficiency is reduced slightly through the ported shroud. The more effective means of controlling surge is through a blow off valve. See the garret tutorial web page http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech103.html as regards to surge and mapping.

I am pretty sure I know the answer but does anyone use a blow off valve with their stock units and if so what are you using?
 
  #14  
Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Izzy351's Avatar
Izzy351
Izzy351 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas-Ft. Worth
Posts: 14,542
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
BOVs are for gassers. We can't really use them since we don't have a throttle body.
 
  #15  
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Az.scarecrow's Avatar
Az.scarecrow
Az.scarecrow is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendale, Az
Posts: 213
Az.scarecrow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by njellison View Post
OK this has been bugging me so I did some more research and found that in fact performance efficiency is reduced slightly through the ported shroud. The more effective means of controlling surge is through a blow off valve. See the garret tutorial web page http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech103.html as regards to surge and mapping.

I am pretty sure I know the answer but does anyone use a blow off valve with their stock units and if so what are you using?
Wont you still be loosing pressure? just out a blow off. I may be wrong, but I think its 6 of one and 1/2 dosen of another.

If you cant cram the air down the engine because the engine wont take it, then does it matter where it goes? As long as you dont stall the wheel your one step ahead. 20psi stock, 30psi tuned with the ported shroud.

I say you go with the bigger turbo...
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATS ported shroud - HP Loss ?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.