Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Joe_914
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my new truck WOOT!

I am cross posting this from Super duty page

I am thrilled with my new used truck.
It is exactly whay I wanted. XLT red long bed 2 wheel drive 7.3L

Got a few questions concering daily ownership and operation.

Fueling OMG it has a big tank. But the question is should I leave it running while going in to the clerk to give her my 100 bill. I did last night on the way home. The other Diesel truck next to me shut it off and went in and back out in a few minutes.

Got the tire pressures from what the PO had them at. Truck was very wierd feeling on the road. 45 PSI front right 55 front left 75 both rears Yea no wonder it was funky.

Shifts great appears to be very well maintained stops awesome, and I love the fact that I can set it @ 70 MPH cruise and and no matter what the hill the motor never changes sound and never waivers even the slightest speed.

I used the buyers guide here to check it out.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats on the truck you will love it. i leave the truck running thats just me.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Hang around here and you will learn a lot about your powerstroke.

As far as leaving it running, I typically don't unless I just started it in the morning and it is cold outside. Although I have been known to leave it running to keep the interior cool in the summer, but just shut it off, fuel up, pay, startup and leave.

I run 65psi both fronts and 85 both rears. Some go with lower pressures for ride, but I have been much happier with tire wear at the higher pressures.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Joe_914
Senior User
I usually bump up the rear tire pressure when I put something heavy in my old F150.

So the key is if the engine is still cold then leave it run. But if I am running all day down the highway then ok to shut it off. Makes sense.

Polished the front head light lenses, much better.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Only time I leave mine running is if I've got a girl in the cab that'll moan about it getting too hot/cold for the 5 minutes it takes to fill up.

Watching your tire pressures will keep your ride & mileage consistent, but you found that one out already!

If you don't know 100% for certain when the following maintenance items were done, I'd do them ASAP:

1. Oil change
2. Coolant SCA level check
3. Transmission fluid change

If you're over 100,000 miles you should probably change out the coolant completely and be ready to change out a water pump (they normally last 100,000-ish). Also, your rear differential fluid should be changed. Royal Purple 75W140 is great stuff and has the friction modifier in it already that's needed for a limited slip diff (if you have one)

What is the mileage on this beauty? We'll be needing some pics ASAP too!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_914
I usually bump up the rear tire pressure when I put something heavy in my old F150.
That works, but you will find out these pickups are tough on rear tires. If you want a smoother ride you tend to sacrifice tire wear from my experience. I do run our X with lower pressure for ride quality, but in my pickup I am not that worried about the bumps and I tow often so I run 85 in them.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:08 AM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
I leave mine running if it's not busy becasue my truck runs better when warm...if the fuel stop is busy, I will shut it off cause I'm poor and don't want to have to refuel cause of somebody scratching lottery tickets at the counter...that justs chaffs my ***...go to your car already...hehehe...i have to say, i'm lazy and i can't remember the last time i checked my tire pressure...tomorrow morning may be a great time for a check-up...i just fill 'em to the tire manufacturers recommended inflation settings and go on about my business...

Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Donny_D
Senior User
Right on Joe! these trucks are awesome, and these guys will have you PMS'ing in no time! and welcome to FTE

i shut the truck off when re-fueling and sometimes i keep it running i think its preferance or just what ya feel like at the time of fill up...

Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Welcome and Congrats!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:17 AM
robs01f250
Elder User
welcome and congrats on the new truck you will love it around here

Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats. I shut my truck off at the pump because I dump in DieselKleen at every fill-up. If I'm running into the 7-Eleven or something, I leave it running. I have a clip on my key so I can unclip everything but the truck key and lock the doors with the fob though.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Joe_914
Senior User
No key fob, But I have a spare key that I can take in with me.

This XLT has one crappy cup holder. I'll have to come up with something. I have a Porsche 914 that has no cup holders. When I used to drive it to the race track I used the hub hole of my race tire.
Now that it is a trailered race car I finally have a nice truck to pull it around on a beast of a trailer. Life is good.
The truck has 228K miles and appears to have been meticulously maintained. Engine is spotless with just normal road dry road dust. Oil is fresh changed as is Trans fluid. Haven't looked at the diff but will soon. Brake fluid is fresh, haven't looked at power steering fluid but will probably flush it when I get a chance. Topped off the A/C gas just a little low.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_914
No key fob, But I have a spare key that I can take in with me.

This XLT has one crappy cup holder. I'll have to come up with something. I have a Porsche 914 that has no cup holders. When I used to drive it to the race track I used the hub hole of my race tire.
Now that it is a trailered race car I finally have a nice truck to pull it around on a beast of a trailer. Life is good.
The truck has 228K miles and appears to have been meticulously maintained. Engine is spotless with just normal road dry road dust. Oil is fresh changed as is Trans fluid. Haven't looked at the diff but will soon. Brake fluid is fresh, haven't looked at power steering fluid but will probably flush it when I get a chance. Topped off the A/C gas just a little low.
Sounds like a decent truck! What year is it? I have 4 cup holders within reach of the front seat, and two more in the back. Works for me!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Congrats. I shut my truck off at the pump because I dump in DieselKleen at every fill-up. If I'm running into the 7-Eleven or something, I leave it running. I have a clip on my key so I can unclip everything but the truck key and lock the doors with the fob though.
I have the same thing as Joe, great setup, congrats on the truck, your already loving it, it gets even better, and costlier, to your benefit..mods..

Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the dark (soot) side. I had one of these in my old '99 PSD to solve the one drink holder in the console. Worked great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-06...ht_3238wt_1594

Quick Reply: Got my new truck WOOT!