1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How did you get into old Ford trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:31 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My grandfather had a 53 ch3vy he bought when I was born. I used to love riding in it.

A neighbor bought a 56 Ford and I liked how it looked more than the one my grandfather had (because it looked roomier in the cab) so, when I got the opportunity to buy my first 56 f100 in Texas back in 77 I did.

Had to sell it when I moved north east because we had a baby and it was not practical to own 2 vehicles.

Many years later I ran across another one in a grocery store parking lot up in Anchorage and left a note on the windshield offering to buy. The owner called me saying he liked the truck but was preparing to retire and wanted to buy an RV and a deal was struck. I refuse to let this one go.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
8bahead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my very first tune-up on my Dads 53 panel on a flattie, back in 65. I learned to drive a stick in my dads 53 panel. I took my road test to get my drivers license when I was 16 in 66 in my dads 53 panel. I dont know who had the biggest smile my dad or me that day. I'll pass down my 53 f-100 to my son, no it's a p.u.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
I've told this story before but there are a lot of newbies here. Here is my Ford Truck saga.

I was in my last year of college, Summer of 1977. I had a cool 57 Chevy Bel Air 2 door sedan. The Power Glide tranny needed rebuilt and I needed a vehicle to go to summer classes and to work afternoons for brother's construction business.

Mom said, "Grandpa wants to sell his truck. Why don;t you go see if he will sell it to you." Grandpa had a big dairy farm with lots of John Deere's and an old Ford truck that I thought sounded cooler than my Dad's 48 3/4 ton 5 window Chevy pickup. He retired and moved off the farm and didn't need the truck. I asked Grandpa if he would take $300 for the truck. He said no, he can't. He'll take $200! I got the seat re-upholstered that summer and rebuilt the engine in 1979 and the rest is history. I sold the '57 Chevy and a pretty cool '55 Chevy 2-door sedan in the years that followed, but just kept the truck as one always needs a truck to haul stuff. Finally got the body work done in 1998.... And now I am a Ford Truck guy.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Some really great stories here. Here's the pic of my bro's truck.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
Some really great stories here. Here's the pic of my bro's truck.

What year was that Truxx?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

1978, cause I was 8 years old and big bro was 16

Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM
conrad55
Junior User
I grew up in west TX. (Amarillo/Canyon). My father had always liked and bought fords, usually the 70's variety, so I was naturally drawn to Fords. I had always had a paper route growing up and saw what I was sure would be my first truck...a baby blue 1960 styleside. It had a 455 Buick engine in it and the guy had it for sale for $800. I started saving my money but it sold before I ever saved as much as I needed. I ended up with a 76 mustang II insead. I have owned many different ford trucks though since the idea first came to me. I had a great 55, but made a bone headed trade for a couple old convertibles that I have since sold off. I spent my high school days growing up in Pigeon Forge, so I was privy to the F-100 national every year at the Grand. That is where my love of the fifties Ford tuck developed. Now we'll see if I can do anything with it.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
58 ford
Freshman User
Well my first experience with a truck was my dads 69 f150 light blue with painted bumpers.I was the tender age of 8 dad was at work and i decided that there was some work too do around the farm. I got in the truck and learned the 3 on the tree pattern without starting it. The old man got home and i had all the work done he could not understand how at the age of 8 i learned how to do it!!!! we had that truck for years i got my licence 8 years later with old blue.I was thinking about that truck recently and i know that a local farmer bought it and from what i was told it is in one of his back fields hhmmm I wonder if i should pull another rescue. I will keep all posted

Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 PM
tony1947
Cross-Country
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a house out in the sticks where I grew up and needed a truck , once in a while. My fellow worker had a 53 f1,and a few Edsels , well nobody is perfect! He told me classic car/truck insurance is cheep and he knew of a 60 f100, cheep. I am cheep ,wife was in a good mood,and didn't see it before I paid $500 for it. a little/lot of work and it's on the road! takes me to junk yards to find parts for my 2nd truck a 46 ford 1/2 ton,wife was in a good mood that time also! BUT NO Edsels she says!!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always messed with old trucks instead of cars, seemed no matter how rough an old truck is just put some shinny paint on it and just that quick someone wants to but it so I'm hooked on trucks. As for HOMADE I never cared much for 51-52 models but my buddy had this old 51 when he had a light stroke and just lost interest and he finally wore me down a made me buy the 51 f1 better known as HOMADE. I've had it over 6 years and finally got the paint on just in time for Piegon Forge 2009. My teeth may be false but HOMADES are original, I still want a rat rod, Garry

Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I've always wanted a 53-56 F100 ever since I owned my 57 Chevy pick-up back in the eighties. The whole time I owned it, I wanted the Ford instead. 20 years later, I finally have a 53. Now, to get it on the road....

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM
53ford
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I grew up in southern Indiana. During my early years my dad had a
48 Ford F1, of which I remember very little. In 1963 when I was seven
he traded it for a black 53 F100. I remember the night we picked it up,
with five of us in the cab. Dad, mom, me , my brother and sister. We
went a lot of places the next few years, all five in the cab. It didn't
seem crowded then. And when it was warm, we would get to ride in the
back. It wasn't a no-no back then like it is today. I remember my routine
well for getting into the bed. Get on the running board, climb up on the
rear fender and hop over into the bed. The fenders were tough, and never
dented, but I believe the paint was getting thin. In 1971, dad bought a
new '72 F100, and sold the '53 to his brother-in-law. In late '72
I got my license and about a year later I started thinking about the
old truck. I wrote my uncle about the truck and if he would sell it to
me. He said if he sold it, someone else had first chance at it.
Disappointing, but I basically forgot about it for a few years. During
the summer of '75 after graduating high school, I bought the first
newstand issue of a new magazine called "Truckin" ( I still have it )
which had photos and articles about mid fifties Fords. That was it.
The fever started again. The next spring, while attending trade
school, I had a chance to buy a primered '56 F100 for $500. I jumped
at the chance. I put an Earl Schieb home paint job on it and
drove it everywhere. The y-block leaked a lot of oil, but it had
the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard. Then two months later,
my dad came home from work and said he talked to the guy my
uncle sold the '53 to and it was for sale again for$500 if I was
interested. Of course I was, so I borrowed the money and bought
it. Now here I was with two trucks, a car and motorcycle, going to
school, living at home with little room to park one vehicle let alone two
or three. After a few months,I had to make a decision to part with one
of the trucks. I really liked the 56, but the 53 was in lots better shape
and had huge sentimental value for me. So I put the 56 up for sale and
got $400 out of it. ( Many times over the past 30 some years I
could of kicked myself for that move.) So I have owned my '53
for 33 years now, going through a restoration 26 years ago. It is
showing its age again, so it will probably get one more before I go.
I also never forgot the '56, though I never heard what happened to it.
Three years ago I found another '56 on Ebay I liked, bought it, so now
I have a pair. They are fun to drive, getting the looks,
comments and waves we are all so familiar with.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 PM
rjpanel
New User
I was 14 and my grandfather wanted to buy me my first car. Looked at a '67 mustang (stick) when the guys wife came out and said "If you don't like that we have a 1940 Ford Panel truck in the back for sale." So we bought the panel truck and it's almost finished now (frame up). Then traded a '67 Lemans for a '60 Ford Panel truck and just bought a 1955 COE C-500.
I have 9 vehicels(some run, most don't)and I'm turning 24 this month.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
Been a Ford truck fan as long as I can remember. I was driving an '02 F-350, and just got sick of making payments on it. I sat down and figured out what I really needed to work around the farm here: dually, flatbed, Ford. I sold the '02 and started looking for a 70's model, found my '56 first. Dually, flatbed, dump body, Ford, and just plain fun. Replaced an oil pan gasket last weekend, will be hauling in around 25-30 railroad ties with it before long.

Shot version? Needed a good, solid work truck. 52 years after it was built, my F-350 was still a good, solid work truck. Can't argue with that.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
born into old cars , trucks , and racing . dad , gramp's , and my unk all had old fords , and gramps raced flatty powered race cars , the last i 'member was a 40 sedan , and the then onto fe powered ones . all the while using various effies from the barely remembered 58 to the last new one he bought in 73 , a ranger xlt that was loaded .my first vehicle was a 55 fairlane then a poncho gran prix with a 389, tri power 4 speed of 63 vintage , and finally a few years later got my first truck , gramp's old 73 . somehow i ended up here in the present many moons later with the 53 , and always looking for the next victim ..................................

Quick Reply: How did you get into old Ford trucks?