6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

White smoke at idle and acceleration Intermittant - smells like fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
White smoke at idle and acceleration Intermittant - smells like fuel

2005 F-350 DRW 6.0 36K miles

Only mod is turbo back monster duals. No Tuner.

At idle and acceleration I have been getting quite a bit of white smoke that smells like fuel.

Checked-
No Loss Of Coolant
No Pucking
No Oil Burn
No Leaks
No Apparent Power Loss And Idles Smooth

I am suspecting I may have a fuel injector issue but it is intermittent. I do not drive the truck every day but when I do I am usually towing. I want to take it too the dealer but when I decide to do it it isn’t smoking. I have not checked for codes or had it too the dealer since 2006. I have not had any issues other than replacing the vacuum pump for the climate system. I would really like a pro's opinion before I take it too the dealer. Any Help would be appreciated. I have searched the forum until; I'm blue in the face and it seems like everyone’s problem is a little different.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely sounds like an injector problem. Have you noticed any vibrations when it's smoking? Also, if you don't have a code reader, take it to your nearest Autozone and have them pull the codes. If it's an injector, it will probably be throwing cylinder contribution faults.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Thanks for the reply. I am not noticing any vibration? It may be minor, I will pay closer attention. I have not changed the fuel filters since new so I am going to change them today with the oil and start adding cetane booster. I have been traveling a little lately and had to use a few small obscure fuel stops and suspected I may have got some poor fuel. I have burnt two tanks since the smoke problem and thought I ruled out bad fuel? I will check the codes today. I am making a 12 hour trip tomorrow and want to make sure no problems.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
FYI - The injectors can be damaged to the point of failure due to low fuel pressure. Ford states that fuel filters MUST be changed at 15k miles or less (10k w/ severe service). Ford has a way to verify if a vehicle has the original fuel filters in it - they would certainly void your warranty on the fuel system when they noticed this. Why not take it in to a dealership? Injectors should be covered under the 5 yr 100k warranty. Change your fuel filters first - maybe they won't ask to see your maintenance records and receipts.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Thanks for the advice... I dropped it at the dealer for oil change special ($59.00 with a free bottle of cetane booster) and the service rep is a friend of mine and said he will check for codes and see what he can find. It did not smoke on the way there so I hope they find something. I got the fuel filters and will replace them myself and maintain them from here on out. I also picked up a test kit for the antifreeze. looks like I will be busy tonight. I will post what they find if anything.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A $59 oil change? With filter?

I can't buy the parts for that much.

Must be nice to have friends in the right places!!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 PM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
I recieved the offer directly from Ford. I signined up on thier web site to recieve special offers. It does include oil, filter & a bottle of cetane booster! Thats why they are doing it I cant do it as cheap. I also got a free Power Stroke LED flashlight with the purchase of a fuel filter. Just mail it in. Pretty sweet!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaxOut
Thanks for the reply. I am not noticing any vibration? It may be minor, I will pay closer attention. I have not changed the fuel filters since new so I am going to change them today with the oil and start adding cetane booster. I have been traveling a little lately and had to use a few small obscure fuel stops and suspected I may have got some poor fuel. I have burnt two tanks since the smoke problem and thought I ruled out bad fuel? I will check the codes today. I am making a 12 hour trip tomorrow and want to make sure no problems.
36k miles and no fuel filter change? Did I read that right? You should be on at least your third set of fuel filters at that mileage! Oh my......

Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
I checked my service record and the fuel filers were changed @ 16K and I just did them again. The dealer ran a check and no codes came up but they did have a TSB and reprogrammed the PCM. One of the things in the TSB described my issue so I hope that was it (the list was a mile long). I am leaving for a 12 Hour road trip today so I hope all is well. No smoke on the way home. Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 PM
pollet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke should not be fuel.
Fuel burns black.
I'll be watching to se ypur replies...
My issue is blue smoke and I'm thinking injector seals.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Excess fuel can produce some white smoke. I've seen a number of videos from folks who had white smoke that ended up being injector problems. The key is that the exhaust smells like fuel.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 PM
hangon2me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn, mine just started to smoke for the first time at idol today.
I recently had Studs installed and up dated o-rings on the
injectors (2-weeks ago). I ran my (SCT) scanner and no codes.
Engine runs smooth at idol
then a faint white cloud appears and then clears up with no noticeable
change in idol RPM's or misfire. Checked the overflow and no loss of coolant or residue.
How do I check to see if the injectors
are bad with no codes?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Did the 12 (actually 16) hour trip and no smoke. Looks like the issue is in hibernation for a while. I did notice my fuel economy was slightly better at 14mpg while in tow (10K bumper pull load). Truck ran great and no issues. I will let you know if the smoke re-appears. Just to clarify the smoke was white with a bluish tint and there was allot at idle. Smell strongly of fuel with no smell of coolant or oil. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
<o></o>
While I was under the truck checking things out I did notice a slight oil leak that accumulated enough to make one drip on the tyranny. Looks like it's coming from the top of the engine but hard to tell. I am starting to think the turbo intake tube may be cracked underneath and causing the oil from the fuel to accumulate and could also be causing the white smoke?? Any thoughts??<o></o>