What brand of tires are on your 5'er?? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

What brand of tires are on your 5'er??

Notices

What brand of tires are on your 5'er??

Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
97squarebody
Senior User
97squarebody is starting off with a positive reputation.
Things have continued to be exciting for me for tires. Over labor day, I pulled into the camp ground and went to chalk the wheels, One of the tires looked like a motorcycle tire. It was coming apart on me and had gone completely round. This would be the second of 4 tires to do this in 18 months. Additionally there was the one that blew out on 4th of July. I was thinking shrapnal, but given the overall trend.... So after returning from the coast on the spare, I go to the tire place (remember only one of the tires I bought 3 years ago, moderate mileage and proper storage, is still on the trailer) and the one remaining tire is in the early stages of a small bubble on the tread.

So, where I'm at currently is I have lost all 4 of the replacement tires that I purchased 3 years ago. I currently have 4 good tires on the trailer but they are still the same brand. I am running the Les Shwabbs brand. The good news is that replacements have all been covered by warranty. The bad news is that I have had to deal with this problem. I am within the D rating on the tires, and yes I have been weighed when fully loaded just to check. I cover the tire when the trailer is in storage for extended periods of time. I am not "off roading" my 5'er.

All said and done, I am taking care of my tires. Near as I can tell they are just poor overall quality. I will never buy Les Shwabbs tires again. The warranty has been great but I am using it too much. Next tires will probably be Mitchelins.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Even tho you only ran the tires XX miles, what was the "made date" on the sidewall? Tire stores keep RV tires for an ungodly long time. If they are 7 (or even close to), I would NOT buy them. I want my RV tires made within a year of purchase.

And I dang sure don't want them "MADE IN CHINA"!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 PM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
I'm running GY 614 G tires, this is my second set and they are POS tires. On the first set one of the tires lost a tread but still had 110psi so I replaced all 4 tires. Now with this set after 2.5 years one of the tires is going the same route but I've been watching when so no damage was done to the trailer this time. I'm now looking at 17.5" load range H tires and wheels but I will never own another GY tire. I'm trailer is under the load rating for the tires but the tires are not up to the job. This is going to be about a 2K fix

Denny

Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Jim McCarty
Senior User
Jim McCarty is starting off with a positive reputation.
FWIW,

I had a tire problem in Oklahoma and went to an independent tire dealer in a small town. He said the tire I had (Mission) were made in Mexico and are an accident waiting to happen. He also said that Goodyear will repair damage done to the RV if one of their trailer tires blows out. I was in a hurry and put my spare on until I could get back home to Texas.

I took my 5er to the dealer just to have the bearings packed and brakes checked prior to a two week NASCAR trip coming up. He said the tires I have (Mission) were made in Mexico and are an accident waiting to happen. He also said that Goodyear will repair damage done to the RV if one of their trailer tires blows out.

That’s tow for two. The Missions are coming off and Goodyear E rated tires are going on.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.
Ok. I went out to look at my tires and I am disappointed. I have 3 different types of tires.
5 tires on the trailer are Carlisle load range E and they are made in CHINA. 1 of the tires is seperating right now.
1 tire on the trailer is a Mission load range D and it is made in CHINA. This was the spare.
1 tire in the location of the spare is a Gladiator load range G made in CHINA.
So which tires should I get and why? Michelins or Goodyear?
I will look into the Goodyear warranty to see if it is a fact.
I will look into the Michelins to see the warranty there as well. I will post what I find out.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Jim McCarty
Senior User
Jim McCarty is starting off with a positive reputation.
95_Dually,

When you find out about the warranty, please post it here or send me a PM at [email protected].

No matter what, the Missions are coming off. One is tapered and two are rounded like donuts.

If the Michelin and/or Goodyear cover RV damage then the decision is a no-brainer.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.Kep4 has a spectacular reputation.
After searching the web, and mainly RV.net, I selected Michelin XPS rib LT tires for my Weekend Warrior 28' toy hauler.

I've seen/read too many issues with Goodyear trailer tires and have not yet seen one negative review/opinion of Michelin tires.

Conventional wisdom points to using LT tires on trailers instead of ST tires.

For me it was an easy decision.... Michelin XPS rib LT tires.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.95_Dually has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Kep4 View Post
After searching the web, and mainly RV.net, I selected Michelin XPS rib LT tires for my Weekend Warrior 28' toy hauler.

I've seen/read too many issues with Goodyear trailer tires and have not yet seen one negative review/opinion of Michelin tires.

Conventional wisdom points to using LT tires on trailers instead of ST tires.

For me it was an easy decision.... Michelin XPS rib LT tires.
I found out that Goodyear had a "Silent Recall" on their marathon tires a couple of years ago. A lot of people have complained about blowouts and tread seperation on these tires too.

I agree with you that LT's are the best bet, but I have 15" rims. I went to the website of the manufacturer of my RV and found that since 2008 the same RV now comes with 16" wheels. I think I will look into changing out the wheels to 16" and installing LT tires.

All I know right now is alot of people are complaining about ST tires no matter whom the manufacturer is.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 AM
teufeltruck60
Freshman User
teufeltruck60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just please buy American whenever possible. Maybe when big companies realize this as a marketing thing they will bring a job or two back.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 AM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by teufeltruck60 View Post
Just please buy American whenever possible. Maybe when big companies realize this as a marketing thing they will bring a job or two back.
We try but I'm going with Sumitomo 17.5 tires instead of GY 17.5 tires because I no longer trust GY heavy trailer tires, two sets of 614 Gs are enough for me. I'm not sure about anyone else but I can't afford $1200 every 2 1/2 years just to say I bought American. I run Firestone on the truck and have had great luck with them and will continue using them as long as they keep holding up.

Denny

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Gy tires? Who makes these? I hope that is not a dumb question. LOL

Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by 95_Dually View Post
Gy tires? Who makes these? I hope that is not a dumb question. LOL
GY = Goodyear= Goodyear come apart trailer tearing up tires

Denny

Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. It was a dumb question after all. LOL