P.I.E. Adapter Install w/ Pics (2006 F250) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

P.I.E. Adapter Install w/ Pics (2006 F250)

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 06-28-2009, 11:59 AM
hotnanas
Senior User
hotnanas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Okay, I didn't completely finish the install how I wanted, but I am very close. I have to blame it on the Texas summer heat. My thermometer indicated that it was 103F in my garage. The only thing I didn't accomplish was an audio input jack to make the install look a bit more factory. But for those that simply want to install the P.I.E. interface, this will get you there.

First, force an introduction between your PIE adapter and your factory head unit. I actually took this picture to show you guys what I am working with.

Before you start the installation, you probably should disconnect the negative side of the battery/batteries. I opted not to do it because I was being lazy. I am sure that you could easily destroy your electrical system, so you should probably disconnect the ground.

Parking brake in:

Shifter placed in 1 and the steering wheel lowered. This is done to make room for the dash to be removed.

Pull off dash. I started in the lower driver's side corner and worked my way all the way around. It came off easier than I had anticipated.

Now disconnect the harnesses that are connected in the back of the dash panel. I had all sorts of things to disconnect, such as pedal adjust switch, headlights, a/c, power station, 4x4, and so on.

Now place that panel in the back seat so you don't crush it.

This is what you have:

Now remove the radio. There are 4 bolts that mount it to the dash.
1 of 4:

3 of 4:

I wanted the PIE unit to be powered until I opened the door, so I did some multimeter magic.
Eventually I found these two here (pink is + the black was -):

Key turned on, then off:

Door opened:

Plug in PIE:

Splice the gray/violet wire from PIE to the PINK power wire (I used a interconnect):

I used the radio chassis as a ground:

You are done right there with the wiring, here's my test:

Dash put back together and audio jack coming out of the bag hanger:

I hooked it up with my blackberry's pandora app for internet radio. It sounds excellent. My phones audio actually comes out of the speakers now too. Eventually I will wire in a audio input jack, but it's just too dang hot right now. I have the gain on the PIE adapter almost to it's maximum level. My phone was at about it's 75% level.

I hope this helps someone.

It really was as easy as pie.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru
Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.
Very nice. Thanks for documenting your install & sharing!!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Excellent write-up and detailed pics! Rep's!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 PM
hotnanas
Senior User
well, after I cooled down for the 30 minutes or so it took me to email/upload/caption the pics, I went out and hooked up my XM. I will probably eventually hard wire it in, but it has to be at least 106F in my garage now.

The XM sounds better than ever!

I really need to clean off that oil stain that I smeared even worse on the cupholder.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 PM
NorCalBusa
Elder User
NorCalBusa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very illustrative- nice job!

I'd submit for those that use FM and a sat radio feed; dial the PIE output level so that audio from your XM "matches" the level of audio from an FM channel you like. This lets you go from one to another without having to fiddle with the volume. Of course, if you will use it more for the Blackberry-adjusting for best fit there is an obvious choice.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
thedaddycat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OK guys, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a techno-idiot. I rarely even listen to the radio any more. What does PIE stand for? What does it do? With the accessory delay wouldn't any accessory power do for supplying this unit so that you wouldn't have to tear into the dash?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru
Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.Deluxe05 has a great reputation on FTE.
P.I.E. = Precision Interface Electronics

P.I.E. is a company that makes a variety of car audio solutions. The most common for discussion here is probably the FRD04-AUX. This product plugs into the CAN bus (typically used for connection to the rear seat entertainment) on the back of OEM headunits that have the AUX button. The box (shown in the 1st picture up above) has two RCA jacks (Red/White) for connecting a large array of aftermarket devices to your factory stereo. The iPod being one obvious example.

As this ties the audio device directly into the stereo, there is no distortion, loss of audio, or any other weirdness that tends to plague the cassette tape-adapters & FM modulators.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
thedaddycat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ahhhhh....... OK, thanks for enlightening me. Rep points sent

Old 06-28-2009, 11:54 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Outstanding thread and excellent job! I've been thinking about adding one of these to my truck and wondered what was involved. Kudos and rep points sent!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru
12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold12ozd is a splendid one to behold
Nice write up !

Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
VERY nice. Based on a suggestion from another member, I am going to put together an audio tech folder for the Superduty. Stay tuned

Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM
smotrs
Elder User
smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Very nice writeup, very good work. Wasn't aware how easy the dash was to remove, but it does and looks very easy.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
hotnanas
Senior User
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
Very nice writeup, very good work. Wasn't aware how easy the dash was to remove, but it does and looks very easy.
no tools required whatsoever to remove the dash.

I think the only tools that I used were:

7mm socket-driver
multimeter (which isn't totally required, but recommended when doing anything electrical)
pliers to snap on splice (interconnect)
Phillips head screwdriver (for ground)

Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
glruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputation
Bet you were sweatin bullets when pulling the dash apart,

I know I did when I pulled mine off, lots of creeking noises. lol

Great post, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
hotnanas
Senior User
Originally Posted by glruff View Post
Bet you were sweatin bullets when pulling the dash apart,

I know I did when I pulled mine off, lots of creeking noises. lol

Great post, thanks for sharing!
i actually wasn't sweating because of the dash, but I was because of the heat.

i have ripped into a dash before, so I wasn't really too afraid about that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P.I.E. Adapter Install w/ Pics (2006 F250)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.