Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Green Tranny Party

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Green Tranny Party

I have a new tranny (actually the old 5-speed was rebuilt) to go in Green. Seems we need a tranny party. We can do it at my place or somewhere else if folks want. I'm taking food orders for folks who want to attend. Pizza? BBQ? Beer? Or if folks would like to just help do the tranny I can take folks to somewhere to eat. Godfathers, Hog Wild, ect....

Let me know what everyone wants to drink so I can have plenty around. I'll have bottled cold water and fake sugar drink mix. If you'd like something else let me know and I'll have it on hand.

I don't have a date yet. But I have all the stuff I need. Just have to see when folks are available and get the tranny jack.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading the title was not sure I wanted to see this thread.

Glad to hear Green getting new gears. Would like to be there to help but don't think I can make this one.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Elves in drag?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Margaret leaves tomorrow for a couple o weeks. We kin have at her closet.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
when you thinking this party might be?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Don't know fer sure. Beggars can't be choosers I was always told. Clint said he was thinking about putting it out back to do it. Jr. is back there now. Need ta git some stuff back on Jr. ta move it. Maybe Sunday fer that. But it is really hot out there with 100 degree temps. Late at night ur early morning works best. I could see about rigging up some shade. I'll have the yota ta drive as Margare will be gone so I really don't need Jr. driveable. Just need ta pull the C-5 out and put the M5OD back in. I should have a front driveshaft. But will need to either have the rear lenthened or get another one.

I'm doing this to try to get ready for a trip up north in the next few weeks. Don't know for sure when that will be.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I'm available anytime. So whenever folks are able is fine with me.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
I think Sunday night is tenatively on the books. I am leaving in a couple hours to get Jr parts. I don't know what the wx is going to be like next week but I hope its not hot hot hot.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:21 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
They moved the rain up to tonight. So that will not be a problem. And then the temps are a bit lower. Bout 10 degrees I think. When I asked Clint he said Jr. was maybe planned for Sunday depending on weather.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
curious, if you had your current tranny rebuilt, then put your 31s back on, if it is possible that it might cool down. I would be inclined to do that if it were mine. since you are already driving it, it wouldn't take much to put the 31s on and try a small trip up and down the road a ways and test that theory. could possibly do that before pulling the tranny.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
The current tranny is a C-5 out of an 84 BII. It does not have an overdrive. The C-5 was used in other Ford trucks and is just a C-4 with a centrifical lock up converter. That was a bad design and all C-5's being rebuilt will have a C-4 valve body and a non lock up converter. So they will just be turned back into a C-4. The problem is the converter. The V-8 converter seems to be ok but for some reason the little v-6 converter has trouble. There have been several articles where folks try to use the V-8 converter in the v-6 and with the track record I have had I can understand why.

The C-5/4 is a non overdrive transmission. That is why I turn over 3000 rpms on the highway at 70 mph. Along with the the slipping converter building heat and dumping it in the radiator. To go with 31's would only increase the RPMs at highway speeds.

The plan in my project folder in my head was to put the 5 speed back in Green. Just moving that up. The plan was to put the C-5 and doubler back in Jr. That is still a possibility. The rebuilder that rebuilt the c-5/4 last year will stand behind it. And it works awsome off road. But I do want to be able to highway Jr. to Colorado and Utah to wheel it. So right now I am leaning toward getting a Toyo Kogyo 4-speed. It is the same lenth as the C-5 and I will turn less rpms on the highway as there is no converter to slip and will not put extra heat in the engine. Then just sell the rebuilt C-5/4 to someone who wants it for an off road only truck.

The 31's are now on Jr. wheels. Jr. was switched over to full size 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Green is std. small Ford 5 on 4.5 pattern. Last time I had them done it cost over $100 to switch wheels and that was doing some looking. Most places wanted $150 or more.

Green will just be a daily driver, GTG, kick back trip truck. I hope to get my MPG back up close to 20. Don't know if my new truck will ever get to me so untill it does Green is it. Then Jr. will be my truck to wheel some of the more difficult trails. I just can't do the work to get a stock truck up the difficult trails anymore. Larry can't either so Green should be good for trips with him till the new truck finds it's way to my drive way.

Clint does want the Doubler in Jr. so he can wheel it. He really likes it. So I don't think I'll have trouble getting the doubler out of Green. And he really likes the C-5/4 off road. If it were up to him he'd just put that back in and trailer it where ever he needed it. But Ole dad would take it on a highway trip or two and if that converter took out the tranny again he'd have to mess wih it again. So I might be able to talk him in to going with a TK-4. Really need to locate one and check gear ratios. We may have had a TK-5 in old blue and it had a 4 to one first gear like many of the Heeps. And Clint liked that. Not sure if the TK-4 has the same ratios or not. Thing is Clint may want to take Jr. some where and if I don't have a TK-4 for it he may just put the C-5 in it.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack, ya got me worried about my C-5 now...

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 AM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
I have a lead on a TK4. He wanted $200 a while back but I`m guessing he`s open to offers by now..If it`s still around. I`m waiting on a reply.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I saw that you posted on that TK-4 thread on the first of the month. Did he every reply to you? I have the car for the next two weeks and can drive up. I have to dig out my TRS pass word and stuff.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
I`m still waiting for a reply, but at first we wouldn`t sell the heads off the motor. Couple weeks later he would likely due to a lack of buyers. He`s located in Herington.

Quick Reply: Green Tranny Party