39.39%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Crew Cab Raptor? What do you think?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
Hopefully that explains why the SuperCrew Raptor needs to exist. Sorry for the long post.
I think what it comes down to is that, like the Lightning before it, the Raptor is a ground-up vehicle designed by SVT, and the engineers there take pride in their design as a unit. It is not a cosmetic option package, and it is NOT a vehicle designed to take the kiddies to the mall while looking cool...even though a lot of owners would do that. It was developed in the desert to be the ultimate desert hotrod truck.

When they put a back seat in the Thunderbird, Ford increased sales dramatically, but they destroyed the Thunderbird that the enthusiasts loved.

Frankly, sales of the Raptor will need to be limited to fairly small numbers, as it probably will not do well in EPA mileage ratings, and if (or when) gas shoots back up to $4+ per gallon, sales of any Raptor-type vehicle will likely crumble anyway.

I'm a lifelong Detroiter and know engineers from all of the Big 3. SVT is one division which takes the engineers and their ideas seriously.

Were people asking for a Supercrew Lightning? They sure didn't get that...

George

Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Wes28376
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raider50

But i would get a raptor for no other reason than the 6.2 when it comes out. I would really like a new platform to expand upon. The 5.4 is ok but ive super charged mine and im still not even close to happy with it.
Is Ford not going to put the 6.2 in the regular F150s later down the road?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 AM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes28376
Is Ford not going to put the 6.2 in the regular F150s later down the road?
it looks as of now no. but they are going to be in the harley davidsons and the super dutys.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Wes28376
New User
Originally Posted by nflfreak43
it looks as of now no. but they are going to be in the harley davidsons and the super dutys.
Well that sucks, but makes me feel a little better since I just bought an 09 with the 5.4.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Raider50
Elder User
glad you say you have all that experience

But I don't want a Raptor for the "Baja" aspects

I want a Raptor for the Factory Lift, 35" tires, Lockers, general badass styling, 6.2 motor (eventually...maybe)...and it's all under Factory Warranty.

I personally could care less about floating through the Baja and jumping a $40,000+ truck. I want the biggest baddest F-150 to have ever been built, that can go straight off the Factory Floor and tackle damn near anything and everything I can throw at it...provided it can fit me, wife and three kids comfortably...aka Supercrew.

And then, at the end of the day I can drive it home with a bed full of groceries. I have multiple needs of a vehicle. IMO I think many people will agree that Ford has shot themselves in the foot with Scab only production. In these days/times, you need a vehicle that can fullfill many different applications...not just a single aspect.
I can justify a monster Supercrew with the pricetag a Raptor can demand...a Supercab is utterly worthless to me, and IMO, worthless to anybody who has more than just themselves & a wife/girfriend to haul around
Hopefully that explains why the SuperCrew Raptor needs to exist. Sorry for the long post.
I feel the exact same way, even if i wanted to go in the dunes ( i dont) i would have about a 750 mile trip to get to some sand.

But don't get me wrong i plan on getting a raptor in a few years even if it is super cab. I have just fallen so in love with the truck that just because it is a super cab isn't going to turn me away. But if i could have it in super crew i would get that over the super cab for sure.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
When they put a back seat in the Thunderbird, Ford increased sales dramatically, but they destroyed the Thunderbird that the enthusiasts loved.
You are making the argument of a Collector/Enthusiast...and I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm presenting the side of REAL LIFE. People who can afford these vehicles have other needs of their vehicle than it to be simply a Weekend Toy. It will get used to get the kids from school, buy groceries, visit the Dentist.
to not acknowledge the demographic who has the income to purchase this vehicle is just a very stupid...no, retarded business practice IMO.
I'm not asking Ford to kill the Scab Raptor and only build a Screw Raptor

I just want Ford to make an adult version available. The Scab is only good for a weekend toy...and even at $40,000, which conservative pricing, that ensures that sales will be dismal.

vice a Screw Raptor which only would increase prices about $2,000 at most. Sales would be significantly higher IMO. Guys like me would see a FX4 Screw w/ Luxury package for about $44,000 MSRP...vs. a moderately optioned Raptor Screw at about $45-50,000 MSRP
We all know how that would work out. Especially if you price out the goodies the Raptor comes with vs buying/installing those components onto a "normal" F-150.

It's basic economics. You get the Buyer into the lot with a cheapie version, then hit 'em with the super whammy
Were people asking for a Supercrew Lightning? They sure didn't get that...
I'd say that yes, they did get a Supercrew Lightning

It's called a Harley Davidson...you know the old old body style...in a Supercrew...with a very slightly detuned Lightning motor

Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
You are making the argument of a Collector/Enthusiast...and I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm presenting the side of REAL LIFE. People who can afford these vehicles have other needs of their vehicle than it to be simply a Weekend Toy. It will get used to get the kids from school, buy groceries, visit the Dentist.
to not acknowledge the demographic who has the income to purchase this vehicle is just a very stupid...no, retarded business practice IMO.
I'm not asking Ford to kill the Scab Raptor and only build a Screw Raptor

I just want Ford to make an adult version available. The Scab is only good for a weekend toy...and even at $40,000, which conservative pricing, that ensures that sales will be dismal.

vice a Screw Raptor which only would increase prices about $2,000 at most. Sales would be significantly higher IMO. Guys like me would see a FX4 Screw w/ Luxury package for about $44,000 MSRP...vs. a moderately optioned Raptor Screw at about $45-50,000 MSRP
We all know how that would work out. Especially if you price out the goodies the Raptor comes with vs buying/installing those components onto a "normal" F-150.

It's basic economics. You get the Buyer into the lot with a cheapie version, then hit 'em with the super whammy
I'd say that yes, they did get a Supercrew Lightning

It's called a Harley Davidson...you know the old old body style...in a Supercrew...with a very slightly detuned Lightning motor
I totally agree! If Ford Builds a Raptor Screw, People will come!.....

Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Somewhere a devoted Ford engineer who designed a real desert racer is crying...

Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Just think, if Dodge had built the Raptor, people would be asking for a Mega Cab version with a long bed! LOL

Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Somewhere a devoted Ford engineer who designed a real desert racer is crying...
and that Engineer should be proud of what he/she built...just needs to get the Screw balance & weights figured out to satisfy the majority.

They'll still have their 100% capable Baja Raptor...just give me a 80% capable Baja Raptor

Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raider50
But from a business standpoint IMO it would be ignorant to not make it into a crew cab.
It was also not a good idea to get rid of the lightinings and not make those supercabs or crews.....but ford didn't...

Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Wes28376
New User
Like others have said. Ford has two courses of action they can take:

1. Produce the super cab Raptor like planned and have one of the most capable trucks of all time and sale them in limited numbers

2. Produce both the super crew and super cab Raptor and have one of the most capable trucks of all time and sale at least twice as many and turn a much larger profit while stealing customers from both GM and Chrysler.

A super crew raptor with its larger size would still be more capable off-road than 99% of the other trucks on the road. I know their is a class that races the larger trucks at Baja. Dodge races their Quad Cab 2500 Ram.

I'm hoping they come out with the super crew maybe a few years down the road. I would be in line to order a 6.2L super crew. IMO it would be a gross over site on Fords behalf not to produce the super crew version.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wes28376
Like others have said. Ford has two courses of action they can take:

1. Produce the super cab Raptor like planned and have one of the most capable trucks of all time and sale them in limited numbers

2. Produce both the super crew and super cab Raptor and have one of the most capable trucks of all time and sale at least twice as many and turn a much larger profit while stealing customers from both GM and Chrysler.
I hope they choose wisely

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
I know why you guys like "SCREW" trucks for the extra room (Family wise) but why for a SVT tuck thats just dumb a Gen 2 Screw, god thats just as bad as the Dodge Screw Viper Truck ! Theres way to many Screw F-1's around the last time i was at the dealer i didint see one 09 Regular cab. i mean theres a lot of single guys around buying screws WTF i dont get it, I might be old school but i love a Regular cab short box 1/2 ton,

So my vote in No !!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis
I know why you guys like "SCREW" trucks for the extra room (Family wise) but why for a SVT tuck thats just dumbmean theres a lot of single guys around buying screws WTF i dont get it, I might be old school but i love a Regular cab short box 1/2 ton,

Well, sense I am 18 im not really looking at it for the family use. But more of the deal where I can pack me and my 4 friends in my truck to the lake, and tow the boat too.

And why it isnt dumb is because I am betting most of us dont have enough money to buy 2 new trucks. (Awesome for you if you can). But one for going fast (SVT) and one for carrying everyone and everything around (normal Screw).

Why not have both of them in one? Why cant I go fast and then carry people and tow stuff? Why is it irrational to want the SVT 6.2 (when it comes out) 35in tires with 4.10 in a half ton that can carry 5 people at a price that it would be impossible to do it after market? At the price it is now the raptor is a steal.

For the sake of argument, lets just say a loaded 6.2 Screw raptor comes out at as much as 55k. That is still much, much cheaper than buying a loaded 6.2 super cab @ 50k and then even a striped down Screw f150 at as little as 30k.

I guess I am new and greedy. Maybe having power and something to haul 5 adults in is to much to ask for. LOL I am a believer in muilti purpose vehicles.

I suppose the reason why I am such a supporter of the Screw raptor is because after having a super charged Screw f150 I cant take a dip in performance. Even if the raptor is only 400hp it is still cheaper than buying a new f150 and then buying the blower to put on it and have it installed.

Well I hope I helped stir the pot, Sorry for the long rambling post. But someone has to do it. Right?