Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What is this clicking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this clicking sound?

There is a loud clicking sound coming out of the driver side valve cover. What could it be?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:29 PM
F250TruckR
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i posted the same thing about two months ago haha. the knocking comes from cylinder number eight, they all do it its no big deal. you can buy the HPX mod to get rid of it, but its not hurting anything.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250TruckR
i posted the same thing about two months ago haha. the knocking comes from cylinder number eight, they all do it its no big deal. you can buy the HPX mod to get rid of it, but its not hurting anything.
Oh goooood!!!!! I was getting nervous.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
One thing that I recommend for this case.
These engines have a tendancy for the rocker arm pedastals to loosen up a bit, along with the fuel injector hold downs.
Twice now, I have removed the rocker covers, retorqued the rocker pedastals, the injector hold downs, and found that they had loosened up a bit.
The first time through was obviously the most alarming because I got a lot of turn out of about half of the rocker pedastal bolts. And all eight of the injectors had loosened up about 1/4 turn.
After that job was completed, the engine sounded like I had just rebuilt it. A lot of the clatter had quieted down.
It is now an annual service thing that I do for my truck.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
One thing that I recommend for this case.
These engines have a tendancy for the rocker arm pedastals to loosen up a bit, along with the fuel injector hold downs.
Twice now, I have removed the rocker covers, retorqued the rocker pedastals, the injector hold downs, and found that they had loosened up a bit.
The first time through was obviously the most alarming because I got a lot of turn out of about half of the rocker pedastal bolts. And all eight of the injectors had loosened up about 1/4 turn.
After that job was completed, the engine sounded like I had just rebuilt it. A lot of the clatter had quieted down.
It is now an annual service thing that I do for my truck.

Dan, that sounds a little extreme but if it saves a problem, then it's worth it. Would it pay to go by miles rather than time? Since my son had a problem right after installing injectors, I am sort of concerned that you are right. Check the bolts at least annually.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by farmdad

Dan, that sounds a little extreme but if it saves a problem, then it's worth it. Would it pay to go by miles rather than time? Since my son had a problem right after installing injectors, I am sort of concerned that you are right. Check the bolts at least annually.
I would go by miles.
For myself, I put about 10k annually on my truck, and if pressed, a retorque every 10k might be a little too often.
But I am fussy when it comes to my engine and simply wouldn't be comfortable driving out of town unless I did that service.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
FWIW, the three trucks of ours I have been under the valve covers, (early 99, 01, and my 2002) I did the rocker bolt checks, and injector hold downs on the 01 (since mine and the early 99 got injectors). The 01 is around 170k, mine was right at 205k, and the early 99 at 230k. Everything was tight. But in retrospect, enough people here have noticed loose hardware. Including Dan (above)

Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Are all three of your trucks equipped with 3.73 axles?
I wonder if engine rpm might be a factor.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Are all three of your trucks equipped with 3.73 axles?
I wonder if engine rpm might be a factor.
Yes as a matter of fact they are. Every truck at our shop as 3.73s except two chevies, on 3/4 with 4.10s, and one 1/2 with 3.42s However, most of our miles are also highway, and in the 1800-2200 rpm range in OD with the cruise on.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
I don't mean to hijack the thread but this is in regards to the HPX that you mentioned. I have one that I need to install. Is it best to fill the replacement HPX with oil before installing or just leave it full of air?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
Yes as a matter of fact they are. Every truck at our shop as 3.73s except two chevies, on 3/4 with 4.10s, and one 1/2 with 3.42s However, most of our miles are also highway, and in the 1800-2200 rpm range in OD with the cruise on.
Well, that explains it, IMO.
My engine does 2500 rpm where ever I go. If I need to go more than 65 mph, then it's above that and it really starts to howl. OK for a short burst IMO, but not for driving cross country at 3000 rpm.

Originally Posted by Visseroth
I don't mean to hijack the thread but this is in regards to the HPX that you mentioned. I have one that I need to install. Is it best to fill the replacement HPX with oil before installing or just leave it full of air?
Whenever you open up the HPOP there will always be some air that gets stuck in the rails. It takes a couple hundred miles of driving to work it all out.
IMO adding oil to the HPX pipe only makes a mess that you have to clean up because you never get 100% of the air out before re-assembly.
Be sure and lube the O-rings with something really slimy, like silicone grease or something before you put it in so that it will for sure seat properly.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
OK, TY, and one last question, is there a how to on installing the HPX because I took a look at my truck and it looks like there are two pipes that go from the oil rails down to the HPOP and to follow along with the thread I will let you guys know if my rocker bolts are loose on my truck. I'm going some maintenance on it which include installing the HPX, torquing down the injectors, rockers, UVCH quarter mod (just to be safe) and replacing my WW with a new one.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Leave the pipes alone.
Look toward the rear of the engine about 4 inches from where those pipes go into the heads. You will see two plugs, one on each head in the HPOP rail. That is where the HPX line goes.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Is your compressor wheel dusted? Why would you replace a WW?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Yea, it's a little dusted but today after closer examination I have decided to not replace it for the time being since I have a E99 and I believe that the turbo sits just a little lower then the later as the bottom bolt is near impossible to access.
I'll just wait until it's time to take it off for repair or replacement

As for the rocker arms and injectors, mine were a little loose. Not to bad. I couldn't find any torque wrenchs so I guess-timated what I was turning them at and tightened them up a bit being careful to gently torque everything. I also found that I had a bad wire going to my UVCH. I was trying to disconnect the driver's side and one of the wires pop out of the outside harness. For the time being I'm going to solder it back into place.

Anyhow, there's my update and thanks for the update on the HPX. I'll post a picture as soon as I get it in all to see and for Bird dog to see.

Here is a picture of my current WW.

Quick Reply: What is this clicking sound?