Aftermarket head unit with factory amp/sub

Old 06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket head unit with factory amp/sub

I know this has probably been asked before.
When hooking up a aftermarket head unit to factory amp/sub ( 2006 F150 ) what do you do for the amp turn on wire. I believe the new head unit supplies 12 volts thru the antenna wire but that causes the amp to pop and hum. Is there some sort of voltage reducer?
Also, any issues with just using say the right rear + and left rear - wires to send signal to the sub wiring ?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-19-2009, 01:46 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
If you buy a factory integration harness, it should give you a ohm for the resistor to reduce/stop the pop.

Metra 70-5521
Description

Factory amplifier integration harness

Product Specifications

* Factory Amplifier Integration harness
* 2 RCA plugs to mate to aftermarket radio's pre-amp outputs
* One 24-pin power plug and one 8-pin subwoofer plug
* A 1.5K Ohm resistor can be used on the amp-remote wire to eliminate turn-on pop.

Allows installation of an aftermarket radio using the existing factory wiring and connectors. No cutting of factory wiring is needed.
So pick up a 1.5k resistor from radio shack or your local electronics place before you put in the headunit and you'll be set.

I would use only one set of outputs to a single speaker. If you connect the two rears together you'll loose stereo on them, They aren't really +/-, they carry AC voltage and one is a signal and the other a return so you don't want to diode isolate them. The harness I found will have all of the wiring you need done, so you don't have to pick and pull for the sub.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:56 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Thanks for the reply ReAX

So pick up a 1.5k resistor from radio shack or your local electronics place before you put in the headunit and you'll be set.
Is this what I need ?

1.5K ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5 - RadioShack.com

Would this also work inline on the speaker leads to the amp as a sort of high level / low level type of thing? Because the non amplified speakers are getting drowned out by the amped sub.

I would use only one set of outputs to a single speaker. If you connect the two rears together you'll loose stereo on them, They aren't really +/-, they carry AC voltage and one is a signal and the other a return so you don't want to diode isolate them. The harness I found will have all of the wiring you need done, so you don't have to pick and pull for the sub.
Also what I meant with the rear speaker leads was use the left rear + and right rear - . That way you get a mono signal ( no balance adjustment ) because there is only one sub speaker.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-20-2009, 06:00 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
1/2 watt should do fine. 15v at 1.5k ohm is about 0.01a or 0.15w. You could probably get away with a 1/4 watt resistor, I think. You can use POTs to reduce the volume, but filters are usually either Caps or inductors and take some calculating to design the mix. The easier thing to do is use the fader and reduce the power to the rear speakers. The fronts should be the ones setting the sound stage and the rears pretty much just fill.

Mixing the right and left channels would mud up the rest of the speakers on that line. If you go that route, use either the right or left channel, I don't believe the head unit will like being bridged and your rear speakers will not like it all.

Most new headunits should have a bass or sum or sub output for running subwoofers. This would be the best choice to use as they should have some controls to power them down.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
rufwalker
New User
Hi reAX, I also am trying to wire in the factory sub I bought off ebay to my aftermarket HU in my '05 screw Fx4. The problem I have is I don't have the plug/wiring that mates with the f/male plug on the factory amp, and I wasn't lucky enough to have the wire under the slit in my carpet in the back. Do you have any suggestions for this problem

Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Denver1
New User
2006 FX4

I also have an issue with the factory sub. I am trying to install a Jensen VM9424BT which only has 1 sub rca out. My truck came with the factory sub so i just bought the adaptor plug which came with 2 rca's "red" "black" and 2 blue wires which an installer at best buy told me that both were remote wires and to connect them together. I just plugged the red RCA from the adaptor to the Blue rca sub out from the Jensen. No sub ...... am i missing something?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
TCAS007
Senior User
Guys, can someone help me with this please:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...1#post11165384

Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM
dimitrios
New User
Hello everyone, I installed an aftermarket Pioneer radio DEH-1200MP, in my 2000 Navigator, works great with the 4 door speakers, but how do I hook up the the subwoofer/amplifier mounted in the back? I see connector C2007 behind the radio.

I see in the schematics of the car:
Subwoofer High Audio +
Subwoofer High Audio -
Audioshield (what's that?)
Subwoofer high Audio Mute (what's that?)

I assume that the + and - is what's important? is this where the signal from the radio goes in? But which wires from the radio would that be? And the Audio shield, is that a ground?.

In the back of the radio there are 2 rca outputs (red and white)

here is the link to a pic of the stereo and back with wires:
Pioneer DEH-1200MP Car CD/MP3 Player Receiver W/ Digital Text Display+Aux Input | eBay

anyway, I'd like guidance on hooking up my radio to this subwoofer/amplifier, pls help. thanks