cash for clunckers part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cash for clunckers part 2

Senate Passes "Cash for Clunkers" Program- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

iam starting to hate are goverment they should put this money in to resucers in to green tech

Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I got an idea. Why not make trucks and cars we can afford and make them though like these older ones? people might be willing to buy then.....oh yea I forgot, if they make them thougher and more durable then they can't sell you a new one again in a few years if your other one is still going strong!!! Make them to break after the warranty seems to be the moto of the industry.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM
David85
Lead Driver
RANT ON!!!

Originally Posted by kenpobuck
.....oh yea I forgot, if they make them thougher and more durable then they can't sell you a new one again in a few years if your other one is still going strong!!! Make them to break after the warranty seems to be the moto of the industry.
Amen brother...except now you also have them so complicated that you can't even maintain them like these older rigs anymore.

The best thing any government can do right now is manage the economy, and ballance the books by cutting back on department spending (no tax hikes, just cuts in spending). Anything else falls in to the trap of spending money so you can save more money. It doesn't work, though I'm sure there are times when we wish it did. Kinda like asking a genie for unlimited wishes.

If the auto industry can't sell their cars, then maybe they shouldn't build them in the first place. How's that for a concept? Why should honest tax paying individuals who ARE capable of managing their own financial affairs be forced bail out the reckless individuals of the economy?

Should I be impressed with the $40k chevy volt? (honda CRX was WAAAAAY cheaper and still got 60 MPG)

Should I be impresssed with claims of 20+ MPG in full size trucks? (been there, done that...not a big deal) Ford had that in the early 80s with the 4.9 "six"

Is it possible that the automobile as we know it has not progressed in the last 40 years?

I will never buy a new car, or truck as long as they keep trying to sell the same old crap in a different skin. Now they use bailout money for that too? No way they will get my money

rand off

Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys don't understand the concept here this helps the uaw stay in business and there is a debt here that has to be repaid just the same as 4 billion for acorn in the spending bill. It isn't about helping the nation or clean air or anything that concerns most of the population it's just politics as usual (maybe a little chicago politics as well).

Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I figure I am buying a new vehicle (you too) when you think about it with the bailout moneys and now cash for clunkers and god only knows what else will be coming I feel like I will be paying for a new truck, just will never get to drive it or even see it for that matter.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does this count for a new used vehicle?if not 3500-4500 isnt much on a brand new vehicle.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All im saying on this is there not getting my damn truck!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:47 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
same here brother they will have to take it ove my dead body

Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by starmilt
I figure I am buying a new vehicle (you too) when you think about it with the bailout moneys and now cash for clunkers and god only knows what else will be coming I feel like I will be paying for a new truck, just will never get to drive it or even see it for that matter.
I can't control what they do with my taxes, but I can control what I do with what little money I have left afterward. I'm not sure if anyone who is brand loyal to GM or chrysler will boycott the company for taking tax dollars to stay alive, but its just one more reason for me to never buy a new car or truck.

It looks like we are seeing long term changes that will allow me to keep my 6.9 running rather well for at least another 10 years. Aftermarket fuel injection systems are now out there and from what I hear, they work much better than factory original. Built completely by grass roots IDI enthusiests.

As long as I can still get or make parts, I'll keep my old truck.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
This is a joke. If you trade is worth more then the $4500 them you get no help. There will be somebody that uses the trade thing but it isn't going to do anything but cost the tax payers more money.

I look for Gm and Chrysler to take a hit. There are people that are brand loyal but there are allot of people that are dealer loyal too. I worked at GM medium dealer and I saw that. Of coarse, since GM looks like that they let their medium duty line go away it will be interesting how that pans out with warranties on new trucks.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
There also has to be a fuel mileage increase in the new automobile. That knocks out the Ford trucks. My truck gets better mileage then a new one.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kenpobuck
I got an idea. Why not make trucks and cars we can afford and make them though like these older ones? people might be willing to buy then.....oh yea I forgot, if they make them thougher and more durable then they can't sell you a new one again in a few years if your other one is still going strong!!! Make them to break after the warranty seems to be the moto of the industry.

Do you remember when all new vehicles came with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty? When sparkplugs were replaced every 10-12,000 miles? When you had to change oil every few thousand miles? When tires with 40,000 miles on them were unheard of, and when cars were worn out at 80,000 miles. My last Explorer had 283,000 on it, and my son has a Ranger truck with 315,000 on it and runs well. If you drove since the early 60's you would know what I am talking about.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Vehicles do cover more miles today, but in calender years, they do not last longer than older ones and in that respect wear out at least as fast as 20-40 years ago. Sure you had higher maintenance, but at lest you could maintain them and the parts were cheap enough to still have a low net operating cost.

However there are exceptions to all the rules, as this grandmother proves rather well with a car that outlived most of our trucks in years AND miles.

Video of Romancing the Road by Growing Bolder, at growingbolder.com

Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What an incredible woman!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by David85
Vehicles do cover more miles today, but in calender years, they do not last longer than older ones and in that respect wear out at least as fast as 20-40 years ago. Sure you had higher maintenance, but at lest you could maintain them and the parts were cheap enough to still have a low net operating cost.

However there are exceptions to all the rules, as this grandmother proves rather well with a car that outlived most of our trucks in years AND miles.

Video of Romancing the Road by Growing Bolder, at growingbolder.com

I am confused with the statement that newer vehicles don't last longer in calender years?

Quick Reply: cash for clunckers part 2