Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a thought on the new 6.7

Old 07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
Dat iron moss is an upper pennisula of Michigan slang for rust.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
juneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud of
Ah-ha. Thanks for the calrification. I guess I should've been able to figure that out on my own.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.gwcon has a great reputation on FTE.
The 6.0 is not a bad motor. It was rushed out and that's why they had problems during early production. I love my 6.0's. If the EPA requirements didn't change every couple of years, the 6.0 could have been even greater than it was in 2005 to 2007.

The 6.4 is a great engine given the ridiculous requirements of our beloved EPA. The only complaint that I have(and many others I am sure) is fuel mileage. The fuel mileage problems would of course be the direct result of our beloved EPA's requirements.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Randy777
Senior User
Randy777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree the 6.0 is a good engine and the truck built around it is great. Too many people try to compare apples and oranges. I remember my Dads first truck. It was a 1970 Chevy 3/4 ton. My Dad was very proud of it but compare it to modern trucks. It didn't even have carpet just mats. The radio was am, the a/c couldn't be run while pulling a heavy load, and the seats would beat you to death on a long trip. I can drive my 6.0 1000 miles in comfort with cruise control and hardly know a fifer is back there. And of course the new trucks are much cleaner than the older ones. If it wasn't for the EPA these new trucks would probably have 500+ horsepower and get 20+ mpg

Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
I have to disagree with the 6.0L being a good motor. When it's necessary to put $5000 worth of work ( head studs, egr block off, better HPOP, reprogrammed ficm) to make it live as long as it's predessessor, it's not a good engine. It could have been a great engine if everyone (both Ford and Navistar) would have done things the right way the first time. After having owned one and seeing the innards of a few, there is just too many corners cut for it to be a good engine. It's a decent engine, but not really good. I would prefer a Cummins engine over the 6.0L PSD. Fortunately the 6.4L is a better engine so far.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Randy777
Senior User
Randy777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good point. Two months before my engine warrenty was over I took it in to Ford and they put $5,200.00 in parts an labor in my truck with me paying $1000.00 for Arp studs and a couple other things. I now feel I have a good motor but If I would of had to pay the $5,200.00 out of my own pocket I would not have been happy.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
CampD
Senior User
CampD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Randy777 View Post
I agree the 6.0 is a good engine and the truck built around it is great. Too many people try to compare apples and oranges. I remember my Dads first truck. It was a 1970 Chevy 3/4 ton. My Dad was very proud of it but compare it to modern trucks. It didn't even have carpet just mats. The radio was am, the a/c couldn't be run while pulling a heavy load, and the seats would beat you to death on a long trip. I can drive my 6.0 1000 miles in comfort with cruise control and hardly know a fifer is back there. And of course the new trucks are much cleaner than the older ones. If it wasn't for the EPA these new trucks would probably have 500+ horsepower and get 20+ mpg
My Dad bought a new 70 chevy 3/4 too, rotted away in 2 yrs. Turned me off of Chevy's for life.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 AM
luthrobediesel
Senior User
luthrobediesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is the 6.7 going to have urea exhaust cleaning?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster
rollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud ofrollerstud98 has much to be proud of
Yes luthro it will.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
paulfreda
Junior User
paulfreda is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by jonesy302 View Post
My coolant/dually statement comes from working in the Ford Diesel development field for the last 8 years. You probably will never find any thing on the coolant,because its been said to be the greatest stuff since sliced bread, but my advice to you is to check its glycol protection to see if it has began to break down. The 6.0 is a coolant eatin s.o.b. and for some reason causes early breakdown and pitting behind the water pump. I personally love the 6.0L. I think with engineering working as hard as they are, that all issues will be resolved soon and better parts will emerge, i think they ended the 6.0L too soon, but the world demanded a cleaner diesel and so we march on. These trucks are not easy to work on or diagnose its problems. but forems like tihs hopefully can help.
There's new information out from Ford on coolant in the 6.0 and 6.4 engines. Gold coolant is to be "dipped" with a test strip every 15K on a 6.0 and every 20K on a 6.4 You;ll see this in the Ford dealer service drives. Coolant can be "adjusted" using Motorcraft VC-8. Rotunda has released a retail test strip kit for retail customers and a bottle of 50 for fleets. Contact your Ford parts dealer for details. The 6.0 is really tough on coolant because the EGR cooler takes 900 to 1,000 degree exhaust gas down to 150 degrees and transfers that heat to the coolant. Ford spec on drain & fill is every 45K for severe duty service.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Jonesy 302, the world didn't require or even care about a cleaner diesel. It was the EPA and the tree huggers, some of the same folks that cry foul when you attempt to enjoy a good cigar in public. If it weren't for these people we would probably still have a much improved 7.3L diesel mated up to a Torque-Shift tranny or even a six speed automatic.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 AM
jonesy302
Freshman User
jonesy302 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe thats why i myself own a 94 1st gen DI turbo diesel, so i to am waking up neighbors at 5:30a and filling their homes with black smoke, silently helping their tree huggin, green lovin asses to a slow death

Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
They were and still are great trucks. Much cheaper to own than the 6.0L or 6.4L.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Roller150
Senior User
Roller150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm in the freight business and some of my small loads go on hot shot trucks, well a few of these guys have the first 6.0 engines and I always ask if they had problems and the two guys I asked said they never had one problem with their engine. I was very surprised at that answer. It might just be that these trucks were actually used for what they were designed to do and that is pull heavy loads or haul heavy loads???

Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Roller150
Senior User
Roller150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are correct why is it that a few select groups out there are telling us and everyone else how to live our lives and how to build things!!!? Why are we letting this happen is the question because its really not that many people causing all the issues with emissions its just the nut job GREEN PIECE people doing this crap and causing major companies to change good reliable designs into unreliable/ expensive messes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just a thought on the new 6.7

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: