1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone Ever Change an Oil Pan Gasket Without Lifting the Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:26 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I found looks like its permatex

Let's face it, whoever manufactured your differential - Jeep, GM, Ford, etc. ... Permatex "The Right Stuff" sealant, and detailed instructions (more about that later) ...
[/url] - Cached

Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mndiesel

Let's face it, whoever manufactured your differential - Jeep, GM, Ford, etc. ... Permatex "The Right Stuff" sealant, and detailed instructions (more about that later) ...
[/url] - Cached
Thanks Tom. That was easy to Google. LINK

Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 PM
skeeter011
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i work in a shop and i have never ran into that problem. on the oil pan your working on it takes a gasket not just rtv. what your saying about pulling the motor makes no since. just drain the oil and drop the oil pan and clean both surfices and put the gasket on the pan and use some sowing thread to hold it on so it wont slip around wile your trying to bolt it up. i do know what im talking about. i dident go through wyotech in advanced diesel mechanics for nothing.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 AM
powerstroke8994
Senior User
Originally Posted by skeeter011
i work in a shop and i have never ran into that problem. on the oil pan your working on it takes a gasket not just rtv. what your saying about pulling the motor makes no since. just drain the oil and drop the oil pan and clean both surfices and put the gasket on the pan and use some sowing thread to hold it on so it wont slip around wile your trying to bolt it up. i do know what im talking about. i dident go through wyotech in advanced diesel mechanics for nothing.
Well sorry to bust your bubble bud but you must be thinking about a 6.0 not a 7.3. If you want me to ill print the offcial international 444e page and send to you proving that the fix is RTV ONLY. No gasket is sold for the 444e or the powerstorke. I work for international and have done many pan gaskets. You obviously dont know what you are talking about then. Plus 6.0 have a reuseable pan gasket along with the vt365 and vt275. Obviously you went through all that school for nothing.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Stickz
Junior User
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Just exactly what is "the right stuff"? With a name like that it is useless to Google it.
Sorry, I should have added that is was made by Permatex...

Originally Posted by mndiesel

[/url] - Cached

Yes, that's it. Great stuff! It's more expensive than regular RTV (about 2-3 times the price) but it's more like a silicone sealant.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE Skeeter. On our beloved 7.3, the oil pan cannot be removed from the truck without either a) removing the cross member, b) cutting the oil pan in at least 2 pieces, or c) pulling the engine. You can lower the pan a couple of inches without pulling the motor, but the pan won't come out. There's also no gasket on the 7.3. Order a new oil pan gasket from Ford and they'll sell you a tube of RTV.

Perhaps your advanced classes just focused more on the newer stuff. I've never heard of using sewing thread to hold a gasket in place before. Is there a problem with the new gaskets not sitting on the lip of the pan? Do they come in a folded over in the box or something?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i do know what im talking about. i dident go through wyotech in advanced diesel mechanics for nothing.
Not here, no you don't. Maybe on an OTR truck yes, but you sir are an idiot when it comes to a 7.3. Welcome to FTE by the way

Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<DD class=hwrd>pre·ten·tious </DD><DT class=****>Pronunciation: <DD class=****>\pri-ˈten(t)-shəs\ </DD><DT class=func>Function: <DD class=func>adjective </DD><DT class=ety>Etymology: <DD class=ety>French prétentieux, from prétention pretension, from Medieval Latin pretention-, pretentio, from Latin praetendere </DD><DT class=date>Date: <DD class=date>1832 </DD>1: characterized by pretension: as a: making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) <the pretentious fraud who assumes a love of culture that is alien to him — Richard Watts> b: expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature <pretentious language> <pretentious houses> 2: making demands on one's skill, ability, or means : ambitious <the pretentious daring of the Green Mountain Boys in crossing the lake — American Guide Series: Vermont>

Old 07-31-2009, 07:15 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
There's a skeeter on my peter, wack it off!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:33 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie
There's a skeeter on my peter, wack it off!

You have bugs in your pants???

Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I'm glad I got to listen to it before it gets pulled.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
bahahaha ok, so i listened to it, ha

Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
BTW, mods DO NOT click on the video above.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I saved the link. I also emailed it to about 30 people already. Funny Stuff.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Change an Oil Pan Gasket Without Lifting the Engine?