1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Auto (shift on fly) not engaging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MacGyver76,

Here's a couple of photos of one of my old EFOS hubs. Maybe the grip and basic shape can help you determine if you have the auto hubs or not.

Rick...

Originally Posted by MacGyver76
Thanks for clearifling that for me.. but that is the only hose other than the brake line.. so either they took off auto with a hub swap or lines were damaged so they took off.. How can I find out if the hubs are auto/lock or freespin/lock hubs? too warn around the edge to read anything..

Thanks again..

Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 AM
MacGyver76
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Rick_
MacGyver76,

Here's a couple of photos of one of my old EFOS hubs. Maybe the grip and basic shape can help you determine if you have the auto hubs or not.

Rick...

*SNIP*
Ok now im really . According to this thread. This is what they said below:
Originally Posted by dqdave1
No switches; just floor shifter for 4 wd engagement. So; they put the wrong lockout hubs on? They should be lock and free mode lockout hubs.

Would anyone know the correct part numbers? They installed 1C3Z*3B396*96.
Originally Posted by 12ozd
You are correct.

Since you have a "floor mounted shifter", you do not have ESOF.

Ford put on the wrong hubs.

You need hubs that are "lock" and "free".

Sorry,i don't have the part no.#, but bring this to fords attn. and they should install the corrrect hubs.
So is this why mine won't auto engage?

My hubs look simular to _Rick_ minus the hoses. It has a rubber stop cap on it. So could I add for it to be auto locking on the fly?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Correction from previous post:
ESOF not EFOS. argh,,, The edit botton disappears too fast for my bad speeling needs.

MacGyver76,

Do you have the shift on the fly switch on your dash? or a manual floor shift?

- Switch On Dash = YES you should be able to get auto lock working (with correct hubs, vacuum solenoid, vacuum lines and working dash switch)

- Shift On Floor = NO auto lock,,, unless you invest pretty big money into transfer case and other parts needed.

Rick...

Ok now im really . According to this thread. This is what they said below:
So is this why mine won't auto engage?

My hubs look simular to _Rick_ minus the hoses. It has a rubber stop cap on it. So could I add for it to be auto locking on the fly?

Thanks

Last edited by _Rick_; 02-14-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling ha!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
MacGyver76
Junior User
Correction from previous post:
ESOF not EFOS. argh,,, The edit botton disappears too fast for my bad speeling neads.

MacGyver76,

Do you have the shift on the fly switch on your dash? or a manual floor shift?

- Switch On Dash = YES you should be able to get auto lock working (with correct hubs, vacuum solenoid, vacuum lines and working dash switch)

- Shift On Floor = NO auto lock,,, unless you invest pretty big money into transfer case and other parts needed.

Rick...
Sorry, could of swarn I put that in there.. Just got off a 1600 mile trip. Now getting up and around to go to Wisconsin and Chicago. So was little tired last night..

Yes mine is the floor shift.. Of all the post that I read about people having issues with the front diff non said anything about the dash or floor shifter till that one post. Wasted so much hard drive space asking and try to figure this out.. .

Truthfully, I didn't think they made manual only hubs anymore since the 80's etc.. DOH!!!

Thanks for all your help though.. Sorry for wasting everyones time..

Old 08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Ah, I guess this worked out in the end

Some of the confusion comes from certain trucks having the shifter on the floor, but "auto locking hubs". Not sure if it's other brands, or other years of Ford trucks, or both, but there exist some trucks that you can shift into 4x4 with the lever on the floor, and they have a vacuum system that will lock the front hubs.

As in, the Ford F150. It has no manual hubs. It does, however, have a vacuum system that locks the axles at the front differential (independent front suspension) and doesn't have "locking hubs".

Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
MacGyver76,

No problem with the time. At least you got to the bottom of your investigation.
Don't be disappointed with the fact you have a manual system. Odds are it will end up saving you or the next owner of your Truck some money because the ESOF system is known to fail causing headaches. I will fight to the death to keep mine running smooth simply because I like it (when it's working properly).
I found out only a few days ago after testing my system with a vacuum gauge I need to replace my hub assembly yellow o-ring (drivers side). I will end up doing both sides for piece of mind, but for me it's worth the effort.

Rick...

Sorry, could of swarn I put that in there.. Just got off a 1600 mile trip. Now getting up and around to go to Wisconsin and Chicago. So was little tired last night..

Yes mine is the floor shift.. Of all the post that I read about people having issues with the front diff non said anything about the dash or floor shifter till that one post. Wasted so much hard drive space asking and try to figure this out.. .

Truthfully, I didn't think they made manual only hubs anymore since the 80's etc.. DOH!!!

Thanks for all your help though.. Sorry for wasting everyones time..

Old 08-05-2009, 02:28 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just use my esof until it quits and then look into it. Those yellow seals never go bad unless you disturb them. There are 2 more seals in there but I never change them unless they don't look good. I still have my manual option anyway but never need it.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
now05EX
Freshman User
axle seals are probably leaking this has happened on my last 3 trucks which will not allow the vacuum to engage the hubs. I just lock the hubs in bad weather or when going off road.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately those are the hardest to fix.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM
MacGyver76
Junior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Ah, I guess this worked out in the end

Some of the confusion comes from certain trucks having the shifter on the floor, but "auto locking hubs". Not sure if it's other brands, or other years of Ford trucks, or both, but there exist some trucks that you can shift into 4x4 with the lever on the floor, and they have a vacuum system that will lock the front hubs.

As in, the Ford F150. It has no manual hubs. It does, however, have a vacuum system that locks the axles at the front differential (independent front suspension) and doesn't have "locking hubs".
MacGyver76,

No problem with the time. At least you got to the bottom of your investigation.
Don't be disappointed with the fact you have a manual system. Odds are it will end up saving you or the next owner of your Truck some money because the ESOF system is known to fail causing headaches. I will fight to the death to keep mine running smooth simply because I like it (when it's working properly).
I found out only a few days ago after testing my system with a vacuum gauge I need to replace my hub assembly yellow o-ring (drivers side). I will end up doing both sides for piece of mind, but for me it's worth the effort.

Rick...
Thanks guys, You .
Guess I was getting confused cause my wife's Dodge has the shifter for 4x4 on the floor and has no locking hubs. but shifts on-the-fly... So just didn't know how fords were as this is my first ford.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
2003RedSuperDuty
New User
Question 2003 F250 hubs ingaging at 30MPH

Switch is in 2WD. 4WD indicator light comes on at 30MPH. Hubs ingage (can tell at 55MPh easly and when turning). Transfercase is not ingaged.

Switch does not work at all can not ingage 4L or 4H.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:41 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Hi 2003RedSuperDuty,

First,,, welcome to the FTE forum.

At a glance I would guess the switch is faulty.

Rick...

Originally Posted by 2003RedSuperDuty
Switch is in 2WD. 4WD indicator light comes on at 30MPH. Hubs ingage (can tell at 55MPh easly and when turning). Transfercase is not ingaged.

Switch does not work at all can not ingage 4L or 4H.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:49 PM
jdross440
Junior User
I had a new tranny put in today (Christmas Eve). I got into some of the Texas/Oklahoma blizzard and turn on the ESOF and it didn't work. I stopped and manually locked the hubs and still nothing. Apparently the transfer case is not engaging. Any suggestions where to start looking? I'm stuck in Amarillo until I get it fixed or the roads clear.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Redsparky
New User
New to the forum and didn't look far enough just submitted he same question thank for the helpful hints.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
Incorrect.

Gassers do not have vacuum pumps, they use intake manifold vacuum.
Originally Posted by DropZoneExcursion
To clarify on my previous post, Those steps only work for Ford Diesel. Gas engines have there own vacuum buildup from the engine itself. Sorry for any confusion.
My bad. I keep forgetting that the diesel isn't cool enough to build it's own vacuum !

My apologies for the bad info!

Quick Reply: 4x4 Auto (shift on fly) not engaging?