General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 AM
krumpelsaurusrex
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoosierbaby64
Thanks! I am going to go to the tobacco shop and grab some and just see what happens.
Cigars have a "dirty" smell to me. Just seems like smoke is thicker, lingers longer and just smells thick and gross. But pipe tobacco like I say is erotic. I will let you know how the burning it pipeless goes.

Ff you have to quit doggin thy self. You are matinée material. a pipe would just add to it. You would def make the pipe look good! so smile!
Really? I love the smell of a GOOD cigar, but I can understand your dislike for the smell, it is strong. My wife is tolerant of it when were outside.
Please let me know if you do try burning it pipeless, because if it does work all of my wife's wall flowers are getting replaced!

Originally Posted by bigjohn76
i smoke a corn cob pipe daily. i think i finally have it down but i do sometimes have to take short hits to keep it going. all but two of the girls i know love the smell of it and think i look good with it. it goes everywhere with me. i get a lot of funny looks because you just dont see that many 18 year olds smoking a pipe.

i did get a friend hooked on it while i was in Fort Dodge though. i am pretty proud of myself. i have another friend who is going to buy one as well. when im at a party i usually pass it around or have another in the truck and i only know one guy who can keep it going.

i only smoke cigarettes while i am working in the hog barns. i do enjoy a backwoods every once in a while and maybe a black and mild. i am still looking for a cigar to go with my liqueor though.

BTW i smoke Captain Black. i have a tin of the regular white and occasionally buy a pouch of the gold. it seems to burn a little hotter but not as harsh.
You know, a lot of people think that pipe smoking is for old men, well maybe it is, but there are a lot of people that enjoy the pipe that aren't "Old". Maybe were just codger in style. I'm 30 and have enjoyed my pipes for about 4-5 years now. Corn Cobs are a great way to get started. Personally I think Missouri Meerschaum brand cobs, are the only cobs that are quality today. I prefer to use a cob for burley style blends, (if you go to a drugstore burley will be Carter Hall, and Prince Albert. CH being my preferred over the two). Try drying out that Captain Black, till its noticeably dry. CB is an aromatic and full of water and polyglycol (PG is a humectant), to keep it "fresh". The bad is it turns to steam, which means heat and harshness, and can even "bite" your tongue. Dry it out a bit, or more then a bit and it may perform better for you.

i also seem to go through filters quite fast. they get clogged and i never get around to ordering them so i just smoke without the filter in. the tip and the bowl never go together right because i usually switch tips and have to tape the two pieces together. it is not as bad as you would think.
I would get rid of the filters IMHO. The general consensus is that they do more harm then good. I have never used them, and most folks in the US don't. Now guys in the UK seem to like them more then we do. Give it a shot without the filter and dry that tobacco, I bet you will like it better. Also be sure to tamp your tobacco lightly, and often if it keeps going out. The ash has to be compressed so the "Cherry" on the top can ignite the tobacco below.

Feel free to join us for pipe chat at tampandpuff.com There is a ton of information to get you enjoying your pipe as much as we enjoy our Ford trucks! But be warned... there is a entire world of pipes and tobacco styles that you will find yourself wanting to try. Virginia and Virginia/Perique (VaPers) are my favorite type of tobacco blends.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:10 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With well paced puffs, I can generally nurse a cigar for good while, sometimes up to 3 hours, with an occasional relight.
How long does a "charge"(?) in a pipe last you experienced pipe guys?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
PreciousOne
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by farmforward
oh, yeah... That's me to a t.... "bow chicka wow wow"
exactly~~~~~

Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
ncstxman
Junior User
A very smart man I once knew said " A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." I smoke a pipe quite often, I prefer a nice English Cavendish blend to the sweeter, more popular stuff.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 AM
bigjohn76
Freshman User
Originally Posted by krumpelsaurusrex
Really? I love the smell of a GOOD cigar, but I can understand your dislike for the smell, it is strong. My wife is tolerant of it when were outside.
Please let me know if you do try burning it pipeless, because if it does work all of my wife's wall flowers are getting replaced!

You know, a lot of people think that pipe smoking is for old men, well maybe it is, but there are a lot of people that enjoy the pipe that aren't "Old". Maybe were just codger in style. I'm 30 and have enjoyed my pipes for about 4-5 years now. Corn Cobs are a great way to get started. Personally I think Missouri Meerschaum brand cobs, are the only cobs that are quality today. I prefer to use a cob for burley style blends, (if you go to a drugstore burley will be Carter Hall, and Prince Albert. CH being my preferred over the two). Try drying out that Captain Black, till its noticeably dry. CB is an aromatic and full of water and polyglycol (PG is a humectant), to keep it "fresh". The bad is it turns to steam, which means heat and harshness, and can even "bite" your tongue. Dry it out a bit, or more then a bit and it may perform better for you.

I would get rid of the filters IMHO. The general consensus is that they do more harm then good. I have never used them, and most folks in the US don't. Now guys in the UK seem to like them more then we do. Give it a shot without the filter and dry that tobacco, I bet you will like it better. Also be sure to tamp your tobacco lightly, and often if it keeps going out. The ash has to be compressed so the "Cherry" on the top can ignite the tobacco below.

Feel free to join us for pipe chat at tampandpuff.com There is a ton of information to get you enjoying your pipe as much as we enjoy our Ford trucks! But be warned... there is a entire world of pipes and tobacco styles that you will find yourself wanting to try. Virginia and Virginia/Perique (VaPers) are my favorite type of tobacco blends.
i have removed the filters in both pipes, which are Missouri Meerschaum cobs and my tin of CB is dried out. it really does have a better taste and less bite. my problem with keeping it lit was that what little bit of the filter stuck in the tip was getting clogged. i cleaned it and it is wonderful once more.

we dont have much for pipe tobacco around here. it is CB or the cheapest crap that they have. next time i am in the smoke shop i will look for some different ones. i have always wanted to try Grainger because that is what my father smoked before he switched to CB but i cant get it here.

it is also about time for a good cigar as well, come to think of it.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 AM
krumpelsaurusrex
Junior User
Originally Posted by ncstxman
A very smart man I once knew said " A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." I smoke a pipe quite often, I prefer a nice English Cavendish blend to the sweeter, more popular stuff.
Well then I guess it's a good thing I like to think with my pipe!
English Cavendish? any blends in specific? Are we talking latakia and Black Cavendish blends? I have one like that and love it, but would like some recommendations for more.

i have removed the filters in both pipes, which are Missouri Meerschaum cobs and my tin of CB is dried out. it really does have a better taste and less bite. my problem with keeping it lit was that what little bit of the filter stuck in the tip was getting clogged. i cleaned it and it is wonderful once more.

we dont have much for pipe tobacco around here. it is CB or the cheapest crap that they have. next time i am in the smoke shop i will look for some different ones. i have always wanted to try Grainger because that is what my father smoked before he switched to CB but i cant get it here.

it is also about time for a good cigar as well, come to think of it.
Haven't tried Grainger, but wouldn't be opposed to it. Try online for ordering tobaccos. Tobaccoreviews.com is a great place to get decent review of tobacco blends, and places like pipesandcigars.com or smokingpipes.com are places I like to order from.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:50 PM
ncstxman
Junior User
[quote=krumpelsaurusrex;7632017]Well then I guess it's a good thing I like to think with my pipe!
English Cavendish? any blends in specific? Are we talking latakia and Black Cavendish blends? I have one like that and love it, but would like some recommendations for more.

To be honest, I get it from tinder box and I don't know exactly what they blend to make it. Another one I like from the tinder box is North Sea Tobacco. It's a blend of burley, Virginia and Black Cavendish.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 AM
krumpelsaurusrex
Junior User
Originally Posted by ckal704
With well paced puffs, I can generally nurse a cigar for good while, sometimes up to 3 hours, with an occasional relight.
How long does a "charge"(?) in a pipe last you experienced pipe guys?
Sorry for the delay, I must have read over your question.
Wow 3 hours on a cigar? I might bet 2 hours from a churchill size, but I guess I don't nurse it. I think the reason I don't smoke a lot of cigars is I just don't have the time to properly dedicate to them.

As far as the time a pipe lasts, it really depends on a ton of factors. Tobacco blends make a huge difference, dryness of the tobacco, and also the size of the bowl. If I had to average it out, I would say an hour to 1:20. That would be a boutique tobacco at average moisture in a 1" to 1 1/2" bowl X 3/4 or so wide. I have a few smaller pipes I carry in my car or with me to work, and will enjoy them at lunch or a break. I pack them loose and get 20 to 30 min from them. I also have some much larger pipes that I can smoke for 2 hours or so on. Over the counter or drugstore blends (Captain Black, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, ) seem to smoke faster for me then premium or boutique blends.

Originally Posted by ncstxman
To be honest, I get it from tinder box and I don't know exactly what they blend to make it. Another one I like from the tinder box is North Sea Tobacco. It's a blend of burley, Virginia and Black Cavendish.
There's nothing wrong with Tinder Box blends. They usually "bulk" tobacco and are produced by a company by the name of "Lane Limited" and "Peter Stokkebye". IMHO Lane produces some great blends. Others pipe snobs will argue they are horrible, but I am willing to bet a blind smoke test would prove they couldn't pick the Lane blend. Peter Stokkebye produces some wonderful blends! underrated for sure! Bad thing about Lane is they were just acquired by another company. This new company cut a huge portion of their tobacco blends. So now there isn't as much to choose from, and some of those blends were great blends. A lot of your local tobacconists would use this to blend their own mixtures, and now cant. Tobacconist and places like TB will rename their bulk to make it harder for you to find and purchase at a better price. A bit of searching usually yields the TB industry name. A good resource for this it Tobacco Reviews.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand_...LPHA=T&BID=235

Tobacco Reviews does not list "North Sea", but this site tells us it's Peter Stokkebye PS-24 Nougat.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jeffndeidra/tinderbox.htm

You can always take that information and order it from online etailers that sell tobacco ( I think I mentioned a few earlier), and get it for a better price. But consider that by keeping your business local will keep your blends you like easily obtainable, and in the same day. If you don't like your local store by all means order online! Also check out "sampler packs" that some of these etailers offer. A great way to get acquainted with varied blends.

Happy Puffing!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:29 PM
El_Jefe
Elder User
I have always like the smell of a good tobacco pipe!!!