Supercharger for 4.6L Triton

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 AM
willycavs10
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger for 4.6L Triton

Hello all,

Please don't disregard this message just because I'm new because I've been a member on another site for quite some time and wanted to get some more info on the subject of a supercharger for my 02 f150. I have the xlt 4X4 with a 4.6L Triton and have heard many things, I've heard that you can use a supercharger from a mustang 4.6, the supercharger off of a 5.4l lightning engine, or many other solutions. Which is best? I know that they will all involve some modification but I wanna explore my options and get some knowlege. Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can use the superchargers from a variety of applications. Your engine should receive some other modifications first if you want to ensure it will last. Forged pistons are strongly recommended. You will also need to reprogram the computer to handle the extra power, and to teach it how to handle boost. However, I have never done what you are asking, but I have pondered it.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM
willycavs10
New User
As I'm sure all of us are doing right now, I'm looking for the cheapest way to make it happen, even if it meant finding a used supercharger from a wrecked lightning or something. But if anyone has a list of things that need to get done, please post it, I already have 99,000 miles on it so I'd love it to last longer but I don't know how long that is. Also with a list of "to do's" can whomever posts that also post a price range for each component? Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could grab the whole engine and computer out of a wrecked lightning. That would give you an engine that can stand up the supercharger, and the computer is already set up to run the whole thing. Not sure what they would charge for that, but I would think it would be cheaper than tearing into your existing engine to install the forged pistons.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
willycavs10
New User
Originally Posted by Bear River
You could grab the whole engine and computer out of a wrecked lightning. That would give you an engine that can stand up the supercharger, and the computer is already set up to run the whole thing. Not sure what they would charge for that, but I would think it would be cheaper than tearing into your existing engine to install the forged pistons.
Yes this is another option, what is the bolt on compatibility for the 5.4 to the 4.6 mounting bolts, tranny, deck height etc. And where would I be able to find a shop to do that hahaha

Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear River
and the computer is already set up to run the whole thing.
No it isn't. It won't control a 4R70W that's behind his 4.6L.
JL

Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
azwarrior
Freshman User
im in the exact same boat. i have a 2001 4x2 with a 4.6 ill be watching this thread, and if i come up with anything ill post it also.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by willycavs10
Hello all,

Please don't disregard this message just because I'm new because I've been a member on another site for quite some time and wanted to get some more info on the subject of a supercharger for my 02 f150. I have the xlt 4X4 with a 4.6L Triton and have heard many things, I've heard that you can use a supercharger from a mustang 4.6, the supercharger off of a 5.4l lightning engine, or many other solutions. Which is best? I know that they will all involve some modification but I wanna explore my options and get some knowlege. Thanks
You can use a 4.6L supercharger kit for a Mustang,but you'll need to custom fabricate an air discharge tube to work with your throttle body location. There are some other minor things that'll need to be dealt with as well,but if you can do any kind of fabrication or modification-you'll be fine. Vortech and Paxton both have "tuner kits" that you can get from various vendors that have the S/C compressor unit and the brackets necessary for install. You'll round up the injectors, fuel pump, MAF, etc-and get it dyno tuned at a local shop to ensure that it's operation properly and safely.
You CANNOT use a 5.4L Lightning supercharger-the intake maniold lower will not fit your 4.6L-the 5.4L has a taller deck height,and therefore the intake ports on the cylinder heads are spaced farther apart on the 5.4L.
If you do decide to do this,you need to know that the hyperutectic pistons used in the modular engine are very fragile,and with the extra load in a truck application-you're going to be pressed to get a load of power out of it reliably. I'd say 300-325 RWHP would be the max reliable RWHP that you could see if you expect the engine to last any amount of time,and this is all depending on which S/C kit you choose.
Best results would be with forged pistons,good quality connecting rods,and quality performance type bearings-the OEM aluminum bearings will not put up with much abuse.
JL

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
willycavs10
New User
Ok, well I'm not extremely tech savvy so ill have to see about new pistons and whatnot. My friend and I supercharged his marauder (or however u spell it) and that has the modular 4.6, is there really a safety issue? I'm sure that there is a difference in hp right? Between forged and stock? Also I heard of a cheaper way to get 60 or so hp and that is to get the police interceptor components to the engine. Anyone have prices for these options?

Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Also I heard of a cheaper way to get 60 or so hp and that is to get the police interceptor components to the engine.
Horse-Poo.
Police interceptor engines are IDENTICAL in every way to the civilian versions-it's the PCM tune that allows them a raised speed limiter. They're actually slower than civilian cars due to the extra weight of the P71 package.
You're friend's Marauder will probably be fine as long as the tune is setup properly. The difference is that your truck is,well....a truck. It's heavier, is made for towing and being loaded,and has an intake manifold on it that's great for lowend torque,but tends to make the engine knock sensitive. Any knock when under boost will kill hyperutectic pistons instantly.
JL

Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 PM
willycavs10
New User
Great, well I'm not very savvy with that stuff so I'm at a loss to doing it myself so let's hope some shop near me wants to do it, also I'd be fine with lightly used parts such a a used supercharger. If anyone has a price range for this stuff or where to find it for sale please speak up haha

Old 06-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Great, well I'm not very savvy with that stuff so I'm at a loss to doing it myself so let's hope some shop near me wants to do it, also I'd be fine with lightly used parts such a a used supercharger. If anyone has a price range for this stuff or where to find it for sale please speak up haha
If you want it done right, it's gonna cost you if you're not going to do any of the work.
What's your budget for the project?
JL

Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
azwarrior
Freshman User
seen a procharger on ebay for $2500. if you can find any of these that is the way to go i think.. anyone can install 1 of these but most are about 4500 dollars.i didnt buy the 1 i saw cause i dont have the cash right now now, maybe later later

Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 PM
willycavs10
New User
I'd like to set my budget as low as possible but 2500 for something more powerful wether its a different engine, supercharger, police interceptor parts, or anything else you all might know of

Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM
willycavs10
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
Horse-Poo.
Police interceptor engines are IDENTICAL in every way to the civilian versions-it's the PCM tune that allows them a raised speed limiter. They're actually slower than civilian cars due to the extra weight of the P71 package.
You're friend's Marauder will probably be fine as long as the tune is setup properly. The difference is that your truck is,well....a truck. It's heavier, is made for towing and being loaded,and has an intake manifold on it that's great for lowend torque,but tends to make the engine knock sensitive. Any knock when under boost will kill hyperutectic pistons instantly.
JL
My understanding was that the heads allowed more fuel flow and there was something different about the cams that gave you that extra power, along with disabling the limiter

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 4.6L Triton