Ford clutch parts research

Old 01-28-2002, 11:35 AM
wxo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ford clutch parts research

I have a '71 460 motor and a '91 zf S5-42 5spd overdrive trans that I want to use together. I have no flywheel or clutch parts and my local Ford parts man has been totally uncooperative in helping me get the right parts for this combination. I would appreciate any help, advice or information on where to go to research the correct Ford parts for this project. Ideally, I would like to get enough information together to get the best use of my money in purchasing these items on ebay or oem parts suppliers. Once I know the sizes and specs of the clutch parts that I need, I can then look for the appropriate flywheel that will work with them. My project truck is a '69 F250 Ranger Camper Special w/AC, power front disk brakes and power steering. It now has a 360 with a granny 4 speed.

-Walt

Old 01-29-2002, 04:47 AM
lanero
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try contacting Northern Auto Parts. They helped me when I swapped to a 4-speed from a 5-speed.

www.northernautoparts.com

Roger Lane

Old 04-03-2002, 02:21 AM
mckst
New User

I am doing a very similar swap. I have a '71 429 with a 1990 ZF 5-speed. Ford changed from a internal balance to an external balance big block midway through the '77 model year. This means that the later model flywheel is NOT "neutral balance" like the earlier models. Somewhere along the line, Ford also changed from a 3 finger clutch set-up(6 pressure plate to flywheel bolts) to a 4 finger set-up(8 bolts). So what you need is a neutral balance flywheel with the later model 4 finger clutch/pressure plate bolt pattern. You have a few options: you can use the early model flywheel(make sure it has the same O.D.) and have it drilled/balanced to accept the newer clutch/pressure plate assembly, or you can do what I did and buy a later model flywheel, have the weight eccentric machined off and put a neutral balance on it. Other options include balancing the flywheel with the crankshaft(or even better the entire rotating/reciprocating assembly) or looking into compatability of the older 3 finger clutches with the zf input shaft.

Don't forget details like the motor plate(between flywheel and block) and pilot bearing -I don't know the compatability of these items.

Hope this helps.
mckst

Old 04-03-2002, 02:36 AM
mckst
New User

Search this Thread