Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-06-2009, 03:18 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well done diesel conversion of an Aero.
nice sounding engine, small Mercedes? doesn't look like a common rail design.
little diesel smoke on hard takeoff.

love the manual stick shifter. good angle and position of shift handle.

how do you get enough vacuum for the vac. brake booster?

how loud inside at 100 kph?

if that's a 7.5" rear end, not going to last long with all that low end diesel torque.

the burn out in the gravel was really cool.

my dream was to stick an Isuzu small 4 cyl diesel 4B series from one of their 1 ton delivery trucks in my Aero with a 5 speed manual. what a towing machine.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now some unswers:

This is OM602 engine (5 cyl). There are some differen versions of this engine - mechanically controlled, EDC (EWE) and CDI. This one is EWE

small diesel engines by mercedes have built in vac. pump. It is used not for brake booster but for some EDC actuators. There are 2 small vac. solenoids that controll Boost pressure and EGR flow.

EDC has boost pressure sensor and does not let engine run overriched mixture till turbibe revs up under load. So no black smoke.

#1 injector has needle movement sensor to get real injection timing angle.

mercedes call this system EWE. Good for Euro-II emission standard but for Euro-III mercedes prefered Common rail.

It vas a choise what to use VP series fuel pump like MAN and VW used ore common rail. VP series pumps are CAN controlled, have suffisticated electronics inside. Anyway EWE is the cheappest system to maintane and repare. If common rail injector fails you can not change nozzle and use it. You have to change all 5 injectors for $600!

mechanical flight weight pumps are good but they are not popular becouse they can pass E2 emission test only, not E3 and these pumps were made too many years ago to be in good condition. There are 3 diesel aerostars here. One of them with Pegeot Diesel engine (appl: ford transit, Scorpio TDI, Sierra and Ranger) with fliht weight type pump and one with Mercedes CDI.

They run everywhere but I will try to do video about them too.

At 65 mph tires and wind are more loud then engine. This diesel is loud at idle speed.

7.5 is enought for 2.9 EWE TDI.

About 4B series diesels. They are used in Ukrainian Bogdan Vans/Buses. it is redesigned MAN engine used in '80-s mid size trucks. Now they have EDC controlled with bosch computers but to work on them you need GM TECH-II tool with specific programm (loaded in card with GM TIS). May be there are mechanical pups versions are available, I'm not sure.

But engine is too heavy and too wide. Tranny is really big too. So major cutting and welding works are required, anyway seems to me it may fit. But..... you will look for T-case that may fit this tranny (connected to tranny with short DS), build driveline... well, possible, but a lot of work. And I think stock 7.5 will not carry so high torque.