1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I scare myself all the time when I use logic!

To add an update to this thread:

After 5,000 miles and 8 months I'm still in love with the Red Head Steering box. No slop has developed and it still handles great. I've gotten many compliments from people who have drove my truck on how well is handles and steers. I'm just glad I can go down the road without feeling like a drunken sailor.

I do have an on center to near on center memory steering issue but I don't think it's related in any way to the steering box. I have an idea given to me by a trusted local alignment shop to eliminate that issue. I plan on trying it when the weather warms up and I can tear into it. If it works I'll post my results otherwise I'll conveniently forget that I said anything at all.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andrew,

For gawd sakes man, Keep your wish list to yourself. You're ideas are costing me more and more. I have my mind made up on one upgrade then BAM! I'm in for another $2000 CDN+ (less the cost of the dual steering stabilizer).

Rick...

Originally Posted by Furian
It appears that when you use a hydraulic ram steering assist like the ORU kit, a traditional steering stabilizer is no longer needed. I had planned to purchase the CST dual steering stabilizer bracket and two Bilstien 5100 shocks, which costs $395.85 at TruckToyzPerformance.com. Since I wouldn't need this any longer, that reduces that overall cost of the ORU kit by $400.00.
CST Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit - 2005-2007 F250/350 4wd - Truck Toyz Store
https://www.offroadunlimited.com/oru...idproduct=8221
So, the actual cost of the ORU kit is as follows:
$1,873.06 - ORU Kit (Includes $700.00 Core Charge)
less $700.00 - Core Charge
less $400.00 - Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit Listed Above
$773.06 - Actual Cost I know, that some "funny math" but for me it makes more sense to invest in something like the ORU kit considering that I will be running 40" tires.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by _Rick_
Andrew,

For gawd sakes man, Keep your wish list to yourself. You're ideas are costing me more and more. I have my mind made up on one upgrade then BAM! I'm in for another $2000 CDN+ (less the cost of the dual steering stabilizer).

Rick...
LOL! Between being a perfectionist and always wanting the best, I drive myself crazy! It's a good thing that I single because my wife would kick my a$$!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Same for me Comrade. It's kinda pathetic isn't it.
I been seeing a woman for the past awhile that's into off roading atleast. It's a good start.

Rick...

LOL! Between being a perfectionist and always wanting the best, I drive myself crazy! It's a good thing that I single because my wife would kick my a$$!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully one day they will find a cure!

I been seeing a woman for the past awhile that's into off roading atleast. It's a good start.
That may be the cure!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
When I start getting parts or accessories for my truck from her as gifts then I know everything will be ok.

I do need to get over the fact that she drives a Cherokee. I think I'll be able to get past that eventually though. It is nice to know that the Cherokee can get into places my ocean liner of a truck can't.

Rick...

Hopefully one day they will find a cure!

That may be the cure!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, you've nailed me down too!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:16 AM
T8R
Laughing Gas
It's a constant battle... between my budget, my wish list, my wife and my conscience (when the wife hasn't realized how many times those first two have won out)

Old 02-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out this kit... $1,542.06

ORU Hydraulic Ram Steering Assist March 1999-2004 Ford F250/F350 Superduty w/Diesel Engine - Ford Hydraulic Ram Assist - Off Road Unlimited

Special Note: The price of this item includes a CORE CHARGE of $450.00. The Core Charge will be refunded once we get your Steering Box back and its still in good condition and re-builldable.
ORU's Hydraulic Ram Assist helps low speed maneuvering in tight spaces with large tires which can require more input at the steering wheel than most are able, (or willing) to give. This Ram-Assist system puts additional hydraulic force on the tie rod, which alleviates stress at the steering box and frame. With our ram-assist installed, you'll be able to turn 44" tires at a dead stop! The system retains all your factory steering linkage, which makes it legal for street use in all states. Most kits require minor welding and a steering box core charge.

I might have to get me one of those lol

Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
...I'm just glad I can go down the road without feeling like a drunken sailor.
Hey, I resemble that remark on BOTH counts!

I am a sailor (although I don't drink much, especially when I'm going to drive) and I still have the original steering box at 197K miles! I've replaced everything else and the wander is less, but still there and getting worse again. A Redhead is slowly rising up my "convince my wife" list...

Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
stroken
Posting Guru
Does anyone know how a new redhead box handles compaired to a brand new auto store box?

I hear the redhead is good, but i never heard the auto parts stores being bad...320 bucks and doing all the shipping, or 175 bucks from advance auto and go right in and get it off the shelf.....

im always in for not skipping out on good parts when i need them, but hate spending more then i have too.

having 38" tires on for 4 years killed my steering, i can move the steering wheel about 1/4 turn ech direction before the wheels even start to move on the asphalt..

Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
I have an A1 Cardone Reman box that I have found to be spot on with quality & function. It cost much less than the Red Head also.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I did a lot of searching and reading of post on FTE before I purchased a Red Head. The reason I went with one was because if the superior rebuild quality over the typical reman. I think we'll be fine with one from a auto parts store and will probably be a large improvement over a worn out box but I doubt you'll get the longevity and precision as you would from a Red Head.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was like that too when I was younger which drove me to being a workaholic but the fact is; you don't really need that much.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't buy one. You probably pay $100 for the red paint.

Quick Reply: Red Head Steering gear box installed