Red Head Steering gear box installed - Page 28 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Old 02-06-2017, 02:36 AM
dmgm2012
New User
dmgm2012 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Excellent wrote-up! I would like to ask a question on this to try and determine my next repair.
The truck- 2005 f250 PS with a 6" lift 12" x 35" tires, all new moog ball joints, new Motorcraft pump, new fluid

Problem- When the front tires are lifted the steering is effortless, when I put it on the ground and the truck is stopped its very difficult to turn the wheel. As soon as it starts rolling you can steer. of course with each MPH it gets easier. no noises. It will drive straight down the road and does have a small amount of play more obvious now that I have a 2015 to compare to. Another problem I have noticed is, example, I'm entering a intersection at 25pmh and turning left, at the point the steering should start returning to straight is stays in the turn and when I auto correct it will whip back to the left if I let go. to correct this I have to whip it to the right one time real fast and it will correct out the problem. For this reason I rarely let anyone drive it.

I changes my hear box out when I got the truck at roughly 200k miles and I'm at 259k now
Due to the size of the truck every time I get it aligned I'm told its close but cant get it perfect. does both of these issues sound related... Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
First thing I would suspect would be ball joints and/or u-joint. I would jack up the front end, take off the wheel and then pop off a tie rod from one of the knuckles. Swing the knuckle by hand from stop to stop. It should swing smooth and with mimiumal effort. Check both sides. If you find an issue then remove the drive axle and try to swing the axle by itself and the knuckle by itself. Any issues repair and replace as needed.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:11 PM
thevisad
New User
thevisad is starting off with a positive reputation.
I created an account just to post a response about my decision to purchase. I will post a follow up about how the install and feel goes. I needed a steering gear for my new-to-me 03 Excursion and stumbled across this forum post. The wheel is off center, but drives "true" with a 2 inch clockwise gap in steering. I read every single post in all 28 pages on this post and then some on other forums. Despite the very obvious troll attempts by what I assume to be alternative rebuilders and the few issues that have cropped up between users. The overall consensus appears to be this is one of the better if not best gears on the market for these trucks. Based on all of the posts, reports of rebuilds failing and some of the comments on members rebuilds I bought a Red-head steering gear for my truck and a pitman arm to add to the new one rather then struggling to remove ole one. The effort and the cost of tools to remove is greater then cost of a pitman arm replacement at advanced auto with coupons and such.

While it is more expensive then going to store and getting one of the OEM rebuilds, I am supporting a local American shop and I have someone I can pick up the phone and call, likely even the technician that rebuilt my unit. Add to that I am buying the part from a company that specializes in the part I require for my truck. I would rather have a year warranty on a product for a company I can call if there is an issue versus a cheaper alternative that has a "lifetime warranty" on a part that is well known to have major issues. Talking to the local parts store guy about one of 10000 products he sells on a daily basis will usually not help, as they simply don't have that first hand knowledge of the product. Cardon has a tech council which is an email I can send to,

Sean
Brake Replacement
Steering Box Replacement

Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 PM
carlspeed
Junior User
carlspeed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sean, your reasons are why I purchased the box from them as well. I do have some input regarding the job. Buy the Moog ball joints and tie rod parts. I bought cheap ones off eBay, and they are starting to wear out pretty good after only about 10k miles. Plenty of stuff in this thread to get you going. Ball joints are a must if your steering box is out, and while you're doing them, make sure you do the tie rods also or you'll only fix part of the problem. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
The Redhead in my 2000 is still doing well after 75K+ miles. I have zero complaints with the unit. I have heard rumblings that others have suffered from leaks and other failures but I have nothing more to go by then the few threads I read.

My 2006 is not in need of one yet but if I do I will probably look at a new unit (part number: 97-7621) from all companies Cardone. I personally would NOT install their re-manufactured one (part number: 27-7621N) but the new unit looks interesting.

https://www.cardone.com/Products/Pro...ush+the+system.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:13 AM
thevisad
New User
Smile

Originally Posted by carlspeed View Post
Sean, your reasons are why I purchased the box from them as well. I do have some input regarding the job. Buy the Moog ball joints and tie rod parts. I bought cheap ones off eBay, and they are starting to wear out pretty good after only about 10k miles. Plenty of stuff in this thread to get you going. Ball joints are a must if your steering box is out, and while you're doing them, make sure you do the tie rods also or you'll only fix part of the problem. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip on the Moog parts, I was looking over the various ones at the store and saw some bad notes on the lower quality ones. I had considered replacing all of the steering components at the same time and your reply cinched the deal. Moog had a rebuild kit on their site for $650 ($700+ at Advanced even with discounts/coupons), but I ended up getting the same Moog parts off of Amazon for $440 with free shipping. They are really discounting the parts on Amazon for some reason.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:25 PM
thevisad
New User
Thumbs up

I was visited by a Redhead at my offices today. I hadn't seen a shipping image submitted yet. This is how everything came boxed up. I did order the shirt and sticker, which came to an additional $10.

Sean

Old 10-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Looks good! Enjoy your slop free steering! Post up if you have any questions.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:11 PM
thevisad
New User
Redhead's in!

I was able to follow your guide to the letter and after a struggle and a half on removal which included breaking a frame bolt at the head, I was finally able to get the Red-Head installed. I am waiting on the rest of the Moog front end parts to button her up and call it complete, but I can already tell the difference in the gear from the old and it just looks good in the truck. Thanks for all the feedback in here, its made decisions easier. This is also the only sticker to ever have graced any of my vehicles and weirdly I feel proud it's there.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Looks good! Looks like to boot is tore on the drag link end. Is that getting replaced?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:20 AM
thevisad
New User
Originally Posted by Monster-4 View Post
Looks good! Looks like to boot is tore on the drag link end. Is that getting replaced?
Yes sir, got the full compliment of Moog front end parts coming in this afternoon. I will be off work early, so I'll be wrenching by 4 hopefully and replacing everything by the end of the day.