Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Take it to the local machine shop and have them press it off.
Should only be a few $.
I would not grind it unless your planning on tossing it in
the recycle bin.

Sean

Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM
biostroker
New User
biostroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the advice. I went to a friend's machine shop and he didn't have a puller that would work, so we ground it down and I gave it to him since it didn't work for pulling the pitman/drag arm anyway. Worked great as soon as it was ground down!

FYI the Lisle #41970 puller doesn't work on the '99-'04 Fords! It says right on the packaging it's for 2005 and newer trucks, but a reviewer on Amazon said it worked great for his '00, so I bought it. The opening at the bottom is too big and it kept slipping off as soon as it got tight. Borrowed one from a friend and the drag arm popped right off!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Gllad you got it! My pitman arm puller was a cheap one from Advanced Auto (I've abused the heck out of the thing and it's still holding up). It worked perfect for pulling my pitman arm. Using a hammer to beat on the arm and running the impact on the puller the arm popped off.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM
biostroker
New User
Thanks for taking the time for the write-up! I'm not sure I would have tried to tackle this job without it, and I'm glad I did, even with the PITA moments.
Still wondering about why I couldn't just buy a 36 spline Pitman arm to make the box I have work...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Might be hard to came by a 36 spline. Has far as I know they only made the 36 spine in 1999 and part of 2000. Mine was a 36 spline. Other then this I don't know of any reason you couldn't locate 36 spline pitman arm and use it. Just might not be practical.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Could it have to do with shape and the size of the stud on the other end?

Sean

Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
You mean the drag link end to pitman arm? If so I don't think so since I haven't seen a different part number for the different pitman arms.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 PM
biostroker
New User
I think he means the top end where the ATF in and out lines are and it hooks up to the steering column.

Speaking of the "in" and "out" lines on the steering gears-is the rubber "gaskets" inside the 16mm (mine actually had a 16mm and I think a 14mm) nuts just standard O-rings, or are they something special? Mine were toast and not very recognizable. I went to Napa and matched them up to the closest estimate on the O Ring I could find (plus 1 set of smaller ones in case they had stretched out). I hope they are just standard O rings...

Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 AM
farkus888
New User
farkus888 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sure someone already mentioned this, but...

CJ119B, Puller, Pitman Arm (Domestic Cars/Light Trucks)

For the pitman arm to steering box. It is a $130 single use tool but I bent a different one and couldn't find anything else big enough to fit over the arm on my 2003 when I did the lift. That one worked perfectly and took less than 5 minutes. With the box still in the truck I had to put it on from the frame rail side but clearance would be no problem with the steering box out of the truck.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Originally Posted by biostroker View Post
I think he means the top end where the ATF in and out lines are and it hooks up to the steering column.

Speaking of the "in" and "out" lines on the steering gears-is the rubber "gaskets" inside the 16mm (mine actually had a 16mm and I think a 14mm) nuts just standard O-rings, or are they something special? Mine were toast and not very recognizable. I went to Napa and matched them up to the closest estimate on the O Ring I could find (plus 1 set of smaller ones in case they had stretched out). I hope they are just standard O rings...
I don't remember there being anything special about the o-rings. As long as they seal and are compatible with the fluid I don't see any issue with using the replacement o-rings.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM
biostroker
New User
Are most O Rings compatable with ATF? I didn't ask that when I bought them at Napa.

Also wondering if anybody has any experience with Amsoil ATF. I have 5 quarts that are pretty old, but still sealed and never used. If there is a better synthetic I'll use it, but I'm assuming Amsoil makes some quality ATF. Shelf life on unopened ATF is pretty long, right?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
When I do my redhead I'm going to throw the old Pittman arm away. It's not worth my time to fight it after 13 years and 300,000 miles of salt! For 50.00 it's easier to replace it with a new one.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Originally Posted by biostroker View Post
Are most O Rings compatable with ATF? I didn't ask that when I bought them at Napa.

Also wondering if anybody has any experience with Amsoil ATF. I have 5 quarts that are pretty old, but still sealed and never used. If there is a better synthetic I'll use it, but I'm assuming Amsoil makes some quality ATF. Shelf life on unopened ATF is pretty long, right?
I don't think you'll have much of an issue with ATF and the o-rings as long as the rings were meant for fluids.

I never used Amsoil personally but heard good things about their fluids. I usually use Mobile 1 ATF for PS and transmission needs.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:37 PM
biostroker
New User
I got the Redhead all installed, and WOW! I wished I had done this years ago. Steering is tight and the slop is gone. Nothing like a 1200 mile trip to make sure you installed everything correctly!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Dirtfarmer69
Junior User
Dirtfarmer69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went the cheap way this weekend. I had a $50 coupon at advance auto parts, so that brought my cost down to $100. I got a cardone unit and the slop is gone. I'm happy with it. I have no idea how it will work long-term, but it has a lifetime warranty, so if it gets sloppy, I'll trade it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Red Head Steering gear box installed

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.