Red Head Steering gear box installed - Page 14 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
aladin sane
Senior User
aladin sane is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine was not replaced for sloppy steering, just the oposite. The steering became hyper sensitive. I only drove it a few hundred miles in this state.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 AM
rockwind1
New User
rockwind1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
guys, i need some help here.
2001 f350 4 wheel dr, 98k miles on it. in great shape. started having steering problems, seemed loose and sloppy, wouldn't track straight. so i put new steering box on (by my mechanic), did not seem to fix problem, he adjusted the screw on top of the box and made it a little tighter but seemed just as bad. i lived with it for a few months, and then started some research, but in meantime, i put on all new tie rods, spicer dana made by raybestos, professional grade. helped with slop but still wandered, had it aligned again by a top notch alignment shop, camber, toe in castor all good, almost perfect. bought new michelin tires at 300 a pop. still problems, bought spicer dana ball joints, professional grade and went through hubs. still same problem. so i have everything new on there, and it still sticks when steering, like if i go to turn and leave steering wheel alone, it stays kinda where it was when i started the turn, it won't auto return basically.

is a redhead box the answer? i don't know. could it really be the power steering pump? does't make any noise, turns nice, full of fluid. ????

could my "new" box be a dud?

also has a brand new dual rancho steering stabilizer kit on it.

my truck is pretty stock and not lifted

thoughts?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by rockwind1 View Post
guys, i need some help here.
2001 f350 4 wheel dr, 98k miles on it. in great shape. started having steering problems, seemed loose and sloppy, wouldn't track straight. so i put new steering box on (by my mechanic), did not seem to fix problem, he adjusted the screw on top of the box and made it a little tighter but seemed just as bad. i lived with it for a few months, and then started some research, but in meantime, i put on all new tie rods, spicer dana made by raybestos, professional grade. helped with slop but still wandered, had it aligned again by a top notch alignment shop, camber, toe in castor all good, almost perfect. bought new michelin tires at 300 a pop. still problems, bought spicer dana ball joints, professional grade and went through hubs. still same problem. so i have everything new on there, and it still sticks when steering, like if i go to turn and leave steering wheel alone, it stays kinda where it was when i started the turn, it won't auto return basically.

is a redhead box the answer? i don't know. could it really be the power steering pump? does't make any noise, turns nice, full of fluid. ????

thoughts?
Glad you mentioned the dual stabilizer at the end, take it off and see what happens. All they do is wear out your steering components and lighten your wallet.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 PM
aladin sane
Senior User
aladin sane is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same thought. Take the stablizer off. If it still isn't right, then I think you got a dud box.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by aladin sane View Post
I had the same thought. Take the stablizer off. If it still isn't right, then I think you got a dud box.
It might be OK for rock climbing with 40" tires but not here.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
hasteranger
Post Fiend
hasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud of
still haven't got my deposit back. They really suck at that. Gonna call em on Monday, no point in getting a finance charge on the damn deposit for another month. Thats stupid.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM
rockwind1
New User
rockwind1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
guys i appreciate the steering stabilizer info, however, i had the same thoughts. about 7 months ago when i began the "ford steering" odyssey, my old single stabilizer was totally trashed, that is when i put on the brand new box, and removed the old single stabilizer. it drove exactly the same. i had no stabilizer for 6 months, i only put the new dual stabilzer on recently, and once again, it drove the same.

the stabilzer seems to have no effect on the problem, whether it is old, single, new, removed, or dual.

once again, it has new ball joints, tire rods, steering box, michilen tires, and dual steering stabilizer

i know about the ford safety bulliten and the sticky ball joints, that's what my problem feels like, steering whell won't return to center. but even with new ball joints, it seems the same.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Rockwind1 I didn't see where you checked or replace the drag link? Have you done this? The end that connects to the pitman arm in particular can wear and cause steering issues.

If you have and I missed it than you can check the entire steering system pretty easily. You'll need an assistant but park the truck on level ground, lay underneath it and have someone start the truck and turn the steering wheel from left to right lock to lock. You'll want to watch for slop and anything not turning at the same time or speed as the rest of the system. To check the steering box watch the lower steering shaft and the pitman arm. They should move at the same time.mAnything that looks sloppy probably is and needs replaced. If you do suspect the steering box make sure you check the rubber donut at the end of the steering shaft to make sure it is not torn.

You also mentioned you think you may have defective or over stiff ball joints. To check the ball joints jack up the front end and place in on jack stands. First to check for loose ball joints take a long 2X4 and from the front of the truck place the 2x4 under the wheel and pry up and watch the ball joints and steering knuckle. There should be no noticeable play. If there is the ball joints or suspect and probably should be replaced.

If don't notice any play than remove the wheels and the tie rod end from one of the steering knuckles. Now turn the steering knuckle by hand. If it turns easily and smoothly than most likely the ball joints and drive axle u-joints are good. Reattach the tiemrod repeat the process for the other side.

If the knuckle does not turn easily than remove the drive axle and turn the knuckle. If it still does not turn smoothly and easily than the ball joints are most likely defective or were not installed correctly. Replace as needed. If the knuckle does turn smoothly than check the u-joints on the drive axle.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind you can have several issues so make sure you check each piece and are satisfied that it is working correctly.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM
8 burnin 2 turnin
Junior User
8 burnin 2 turnin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for posting this all those years ago. It helped me get my box replaced today. I removed the air box, battery tray and inter-cooler pipe to have free access.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 PM
8 burnin 2 turnin
Junior User
8 burnin 2 turnin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rockwind1 View Post
... it still sticks when steering, like if i go to turn and leave steering wheel alone, it stays kinda where it was when i started the turn, it won't auto return basically.

thoughts?
My truck was loose. Tightened up the box adjustment by 1/4 turn, and it helped for a little bit, but after a while, it would not return to center.

Just installed a new box today and the problems are gone. You new box might have an issue.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
bself43
New User
bself43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Would like instructions to install red-head steering box. I have a 2000 F-250 with very sloppy steering.
Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Instructions can be found at the start of this thread but here is a link.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
M-Threezy
New User
M-Threezy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gear Box outage.

Thanks for the amazing post w/ pics. First, how did you know that the gears were going bad? Was it just excessing play in your steering? I am experiencing an issue were the steering pressures up only to one side (right). So when I turn to the right, the wheel returns on tdc on its own. When I turn to the left, it turns....but does not return. I have replaced the Org. box with 2 ford rebuilds. I also replaced the pump, which I know isnt the issue.

-This one has me swamped--

Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
I would say you have another issue going on. I would doubt it would be the steering box if after three tries you have the same issue. I would look at the steering system beyond the steering box starting with the ball joints and axle u-joints.

Jack up the truck, support it with jack stands, remove a tire from one side on the front, remove the tie-rod from the steering knuckle on the same side and try turning the knuckle back and forth by hand. Make sure you turn the axle a little bit each time and turn the knuckle back and forth again.

If the knuckle and axle turns freely reinstall everything and repeat the process for the other side.

If you find that either side turns stiffly turn the axle and try turning the steering knuckle again. If it still turns stiffly remove the axle and check it by hand to make sure all axis of the u-joint turn freely. Try the steering knuckle again to see if it turns stiffly. If it does than most likely the ball joints are bad. If you find that the knuckle turns freely after removing the axle that mostly likely the axle u-joints are bad. Remember to check both sides regardless of what you find.

Post up what you find.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Richard Hord
New User
Richard Hord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Redhead Steering Gear boxes

You better think twice about buying a gear box from Redhead Steering gear boxes. I bought one for my 2000 F-250, had local Ford garage install it along with new power steering pump. Mechanic had not even got out of parking lot and something inside Readhead steering gear box broke, he lost all steering! Thank God I was not on the road running 60 mph. My truck would have been totaled before I got it under control. I have taken good care of this truck. Serviced on regular intervals, just had new paint job and all major fluids changed, trans, rear-end, transfer case etc... Now owner (Redhead) wants me to send their unit back and has charged my credit card $200.00 for their core. He says they will determine what went wrong and let me know, yeah right! Once they get the gear box back they can say anything! I do home improvements as a business and now my truck is going to be down two days. Is he going to pay me for labor and my time down, I don't think so! I will be lucky if I get back my labor expense for changing out TWICE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Red Head Steering gear box installed

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.