Red Head Steering gear box installed - Page 13 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Engalwood
Senior User
Engalwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
AWSOME

AWSOME WRITE UP. As I have been looking for a write up on this. I have to do this my my 04 6.0 F250. I dont have a red head but just a stock reman. GIGGDY

Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Monster-4
Postmaster
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mrblonde108 View Post
good info but i heard the f550 zf steering gear box is different and way stronger?
I just now seen this post. I don't know much about the F550. I would call Red Head and ask them. I'm sure they would know and probably be able to help you out with a rebuilt box.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Monster-4
Postmaster
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Engalwood View Post
AWSOME WRITE UP. As I have been looking for a write up on this. I have to do this my my 04 6.0 F250. I dont have a red head but just a stock reman. GIGGDY
Thanks a bunch!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:10 PM
chrislorl
New User
chrislorl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well my front end is finished, 2001 with 197,000 miles. I started with the Red Head box and replaced everything in the steering system except for the pitman arm. It drives like a new truck. The only issue I had as the end was to much free play in the wheel. After talking with redhead they told me to tighten the crap out of the nut on the shaft at the pitman arm. This calls for 250 ft lbs of torque. They said "as much as you can". In order to get this much torque on the nut I had to remove the track bar and bracket. Once it was tightened the free play was gone. Now comes the track bar, this called for 356 ft Lbs of torque. So I borrowed a huge wrench from a friend that works on bulldozers to get this done. I thought it was tight enough but it wasn't and on a sharp turn it clunked like the wheels were binding, almost as if it was in 4 wheel on a sharp turn. Tightening it totally resolved this issue. Thanks to the people that started this great write up, it really helped. Now I am on to all new bushings.....

Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Monster-4
Postmaster
Glad this thread helped. My manual called for 199 lb-ft of the pitman arm nut. Where did you find 250 lb-ft?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Hi,
Been reading all that you have posted so far.
I have lived in Tacoma Washington for the last 40 years
When it comes to steering gears and replacements
Every one here has always said go to RED HEAD.
My 2006 F350 PSD 4X4 needs a new box and that is where I
will go with no second thoughts.

Thanks
Sean

Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Monster-4
Postmaster
I guess you can save the shipping charges! So far I have zero issue and zero complaints about mine. It was well worth the small price premium.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Johan The Impailer
New User
Johan The Impailer is starting off with a positive reputation.
after seeing so many f250s relacing tie rod ends, ball joints and bushings,I too bought the Red Head box. From 90 deg play , to 45 deg play after adjusting the box, The red head unit made all the difference. Like a new truck. Wouldn't put anything else in. Save your money guys. Had mine for 3000mi and works great

Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Mine has a stock box, 160k, miles and tight as can be, making me think a rebuilt stock box would work fine.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Monster-4
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Johan The Impailer View Post
after seeing so many f250s relacing tie rod ends, ball joints and bushings,I too bought the Red Head box. From 90 deg play , to 45 deg play after adjusting the box, The red head unit made all the difference. Like a new truck. Wouldn't put anything else in. Save your money guys. Had mine for 3000mi and works great
Glad you're liking it. I got over 20K miles and not a single issue with mine. For the difference it price over other rebuilt boxes it's well worth it.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
hasteranger
Post Fiend
hasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud of
I just installed mine and took it for a test drive... it is a CRAZY night and day difference. First off, I didn't count my turns lock to lock before, but it feels less. I wonder if my excursion had one of the higher ratio super duty boxes put on it before I got it?
Second, wow, just way better on center feel, and way less slop.
Third, didn't expect this, but WAY less steering effort. Before, at a stop and holding the brakes, I really had to muscle up to turn the wheels. Now I can do it with one hand. And reduced steering effort at low speeds, too, and way better return to center.

I am shocked at the difference. I knew it would be tighter but I feel like its a different truck. I'd let my girlfriend drive it now.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:00 PM
WWessman
New User
WWessman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great write-up completed the whole job in 2.5 hours, Thanks a million.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Monster-4
Postmaster
Glad you guys got use out of this thread. Enjoy your new steering boxes.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
aladin sane
Senior User
aladin sane is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used this great write up to replace the steering box in my 2003 F-250. I went with a generic re-manufactured unit. I needed to get it done before a trip next week and I had not allowed enough time to ship a unit from Washington. I got 93,000 miles out of the first one. Looking forward to another 90,000 miles now.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 AM
rickbrad
Senior User
rickbrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by aladin sane View Post
I used this great write up to replace the steering box in my 2003 F-250. I went with a generic re-manufactured unit. I needed to get it done before a trip next week and I had not allowed enough time to ship a unit from Washington. I got 93,000 miles out of the first one. Looking forward to another 90,000 miles now.
Was it good all the way up to 90,000, or did you drive it with sloppy steering for 20,000-30,000 miles?

No, I don't work for Red Head! I just don't think the box should wear out (or exhibit excessive play) before 200,000-300,000 miles!

Of course, I understand a lot of folks put excess load on the box by installing aftermarket suspension and larger tires, so that would reduce the life expectancy over using the stock setup. I am one of those folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Red Head Steering gear box installed

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.