Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Thinking about doing some metal work on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about doing some metal work on my truck

Everytime I work on my truck I make sure I take a good look at the entire underbody to check for corrosion and what not. I've noticed a high amount of corrosion on the exhaust pipes coming from the engine leading all the way back to the tail pipe. So I'm considering replacing that system all the way down.

I've been doing some reading on people going to stainless steel and I think that's where I'm headed. Have any of you guys made this switch or done anything similiar in the past?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
I know here in NY the Tompkins County Sheriff took a lot of flack when he started putting stainless on their 4x4 vehicles. Don't quote me on exact numbers, initial cost was like $700. OEM was like $4-500 and being replaced every year. They try to keep vehicles for 4 yrs so it did pay off. This is in a salt area so you won't have that problem. You should do just fine with stainless.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
expensive but long lasting

Just be sure any welding done on the system is done with the right electrode and gas. . .else the welds rust out and basically defeats the purpose of SS exhaust

Lol

Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
Oh yeah, defenitly true about the welding. That's something that I think a lot of people forget about, they just think weld it. When you are welding you must also be very careful of the poisons. Such as welding stainless steel, you should be wearing a resperator.

I was actually thinking about TIG welding it together.