1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Side Molding Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Body Side Molding Repair

Has anyone had the paint flake off their body side moldings on the doors? Mine have seen better days. What should I do? Remove the moldings and get alll the 3m tape off? Take them to a body shop to get painted? Get aftermarket ones? What should I expect to pay to have them removed, painted, and put back on?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Once you pull them they never seem to be the same. They're quite flexible. I'm sure a good body man (not me) could pull them off, paint them and put them back on. Not sure what to expect for cost but I'd say the job is about a 6 hour job total.

I removed mine altogether due to fading and paint chipping. Getting the tape residue off was the longest part of the ordeal.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Once you pull them they never seem to be the same. They're quite flexible. I'm sure a good body man (not me) could pull them off, paint them and put them back on. Not sure what to expect for cost but I'd say the job is about a 6 hour job total.

I removed mine altogether due to fading and paint chipping. Getting the tape residue off was the longest part of the ordeal.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
I have a good body guy, but I'm thinking the truck will look better without them. Do you think he'll be able to remove the residue? Will the paint under them be noticably different from the rest of the paint on the door (faded vs. non-faded?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Angrywasp
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The tape on mine was starting to let go so I pulled them off, cleaned everything off, re 3m taped them and put them back on. The started coming off again about 2 weeks ago so I pulled them off. The truck looks good without them. My truck had a build up of wax residue around the ends that required quite a bit of work with buffing/rubbing compound to remove but after that the paint looks exactly the same as the rest of it. I can get a pic of it if you want.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

A pic would be good. I'm sure they all flake and discolor. Mine sure have.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

I have pics in my gallery of before and after the trim removal. No paint fade even after sitting in the hot Hawaiian sun for 3 years. 'Course a darker color may bear different results.

I like the clean look without the moldings. Worth the effort of removing the residue.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 AM
350z
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I repainted mine two weeks ago , on the truck!, I got a roll of the blue masking tape,slid it behind the moulding,taped top/bottom/and ends,then put newspaper about a foot on each side of the tape and also extended it over the running boards , wiped it down with wax and grease remover , lightly scuffed it up with fine sand paper, wiped it down with wax and grease remover again,then 3 light coats of paint, followed by two coats of clear,the thing thats interesting about it is the paint I used is the Duplicolor Autozone sells in the spray cans!,it looks and matches great,
after looking at the mouldings the way they were for the last 3 years I
should have done this years ago!, If I can do this ,anydody that has a afternoon and a garage (to keep the wind down), can do this!!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Angrywasp
I can get a pic of it if you want.
A pic woulod be great.

Monsta: You are right, it sure does give a nice clean look. This is probably the route I'm leaning towards.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Angrywasp
Senior User
Sorry have to get it tomorrow. It was raining when I got home today. Monsta is right. It does look good and is worth the effort.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Originally Posted by 350z
I repainted mine two weeks ago , on the truck!, I got a roll of the blue masking tape,slid it behind the moulding,taped top/bottom/and ends,then put newspaper about a foot on each side of the tape and also extended it over the running boards , wiped it down with wax and grease remover , lightly scuffed it up with fine sand paper, wiped it down with wax and grease remover again,then 3 light coats of paint, followed by two coats of clear.

The thing that's interesting about it is the paint I used is the Duplicolor Autozone sells in the spray cans! It looks and matches great!

After looking at the moldings the way they were for the last 3 years I
should have done this years ago!, If I can do this, anybody that has a afternoon and a garage (to keep the wind down), can do this!!
Rep to you! Good post! I would have painted mine had I not preferred the naked look. But I never thought about doing it ON the truck!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
350z
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thank you for the rep point Ken, I have replaced moulding on other vehicles in the past, it's hard to do, without any damage, and harder to get it back on straight , Craig.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Angrywasp
Senior User
I got the pics.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Man that looks great.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Angrywasp
Senior User
Thank you. Yours looks pretty nice as well.

Quick Reply: Body Side Molding Repair