Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Towed with Mike's no OD in TH tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Mmaxed
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Towed with Mike's no OD in TH tune

This last weekend we finally had the chance to get away for a couple days. Towed the toy hauler to the mountains.

I am using a tune from Mike at 5star that doesn't let the tranny shift into OD when in TH until about 75 mph. This lets you stay in direct in situations that the tranny would otherwise be shifting in and out of OD. If I am in a place where the rig will pull OD easily I just take it out of TH and let it shift.

The tune works great. I can keep it in direct going up and down hills instead of the gear hunting. It is also very nice when heading down long hills coming off the mountain. Doesn't get into OD and force you back to the brakes to keep things in check. It makes for a much more relaxing driving experience.

Mike basically gave me the OD lockout that Ford didn't think we needed in the TS tranny.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM
ltatkinson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you towed without the tune? Was there a difference in MPG or just different in the way the trans shifted? How much does your trailer weight? Alot of questions I know but I just bought my truck and havent towed yet. I am heading into the UP of MI for a week in a few weeks and wonderind about getting a tune.

Tim

Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
VERY nice... I finally got the X3 from Mike and am playing around with his 87 octane performance tune. eBay headers/y-pipe and Volant intake.

Today, I got a 0-60 of less than 9 seconds. Considering that stock it's just right around 10 seconds, that's amazing. The 93 octane is going to be a blast.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Mmaxed
Senior User
Originally Posted by ltatkinson
Have you towed without the tune? Was there a difference in MPG or just different in the way the trans shifted? How much does your trailer weight? Alot of questions I know but I just bought my truck and havent towed yet. I am heading into the UP of MI for a week in a few weeks and wonderind about getting a tune.

Tim
I towed most of last year without a tune and a time or two last fall with a similar tune without the over drive set up in this tune. The tune to keep it out of OD came about because of my whining on this forum about the shifting into OD when it really wasn't needed and having to soon force a shift back to direct. Much nicer to have some control.

Mileage hasn't changed much while towing for me, but like I've said I tend to have a heavy foot in conditions that don't make for good mpg.

The trailer is a Fuzion 302 toy hauler. I would guess the weight at 13-14k and it is tall.

Last weekend I kept the speed under 65 and made 5.8 mpg going to camp and 8 mpg coming home. Home is at 2600 ft and where we camped was at about 6500. Lot of climbing on the way up. That almost 7 mpg average for the trip is the best this rig has ever done so there might be some benefit. Mileage is such a changing thing for me it is hard to say.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 AM
RAGaz
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mmaxed
I towed most of last year without a tune and a time or two last fall with a similar tune without the over drive set up in this tune. The tune to keep it out of OD came about because of my whining on this forum about the shifting into OD when it really wasn't needed and having to soon force a shift back to direct. Much nicer to have some control.

Mileage hasn't changed much while towing for me, but like I've said I tend to have a heavy foot in conditions that don't make for good mpg.

The trailer is a Fuzion 302 toy hauler. I would guess the weight at 13-14k and it is tall.

Last weekend I kept the speed under 65 and made 5.8 mpg going to camp and 8 mpg coming home. Home is at 2600 ft and where we camped was at about 6500. Lot of climbing on the way up. That almost 7 mpg average for the trip is the best this rig has ever done so there might be some benefit. Mileage is such a changing thing for me it is hard to say.

Great post Mmaxed. I've been seriously considering the SCT X3 for my truck this year. The reviews I'm hearing from guys on here (like you) that tow in the mountains are making me think that the investment is worth it. I pull my camper from where we live at about 5300 ft up into the mountains - usually to around 7500-8500 ft. I've got a question though about the TH mode. Isn't the factory TH mode supposed to lock out OD? If not, what does it do?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Mmaxed
Senior User
The factory TH mode does not lock out OD. It changes shift points and enables the grade braking by shifting down when you hit the brakes.

Mikes tune doesn't actually lock out OD. It delays the shift into OD until about 75 mph. Since I don't usually tow that fast it works as a lockout.

It is really nice in rolling terrain or winding roads. It doesn't shift up to OD when you let off the throttle for a corner or to keep from gaining speed on a short down hill only to have to force a downshift to direct right away.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
RAGaz
Mountain Pass
What tune were you using on that trip?
What kind of RPM's are you turning at 65mph pulling that much weight at elevation?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Mmaxed
Senior User
93 oct tune. After running it for a few months the 87 tune didn't impress me much. Not near the grunt at lower rpm. Not a big difference at higher rpm though.

RPM at 65 mph is about 2800 in direct if I recall. On the long and steep at elevation I may on be at 50 mph at 4k rpm. Diesel had the edge there for sure.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
DernMooseAk
Senior User
Is my truck weird?
When I am in tow hall mode my truck will not up shift while coasting period. Just this week end, started at the top of the hill (Mt)going down I touched the brakes at 45 mph it down shifted and stayed there till I used brakes to slow down more, since I was approaching 3500 RPM. If I would have slowed to 35ish it would have downshifted again. Same going up, it wont go into OD unless I turn off the TH.
I dont tow above 65mph so I dont know at what point it would get to OD?
I tow here in AK sea level to really high.
Bought it brand new, no tune.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 AM
ltatkinson
Senior User
Thanks for all your input Mmaxed. My trailer only weights around 8k dry and here in MI we are pretty flat. I will try this trip stock, but we are planning a trip to FL this time next year and that could be a different story. By the way do you have air bags on the rears?

Tim

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I tried the 87 tow tune on my '01 the other day, very nice. Held the shifts until much later, and wouldn't go into OD until around 60MPH with a very light throttle. A little more throttle and it stayed out of OD until around 70MPH.

Nice addition to a 2-valver, that's for sure, Mike

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I tried the 87 tow tune on my '01 the other day, very nice. Held the shifts until much later, and wouldn't go into OD until around 60MPH with a very light throttle. A little more throttle and it stayed out of OD until around 70MPH.

Nice addition to a 2-valver, that's for sure, Mike

Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
thanks guys. I just towed about 100 miles with our 99 with our 5'er and must say I like our tow tune a lot too.. (big head ) It just pulls and pulls with out all that up and down shifting..and our truck as 3.73 gears..

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Mmaxed
Senior User
I towed the 5er last weekend with the stock tune. Stock sucks. Actually on the long hills with foot to the floor there wasn't a lot of difference. That may be because I am due, OK past due for a fuel filter change. The big difference is that between 2-3000 rpm0 the 93 oct tune has way more grunt. Just pulls when the stock tune runs out of juice.

Hey Mike. Come on up to Montana. You can use my rig for a test mule and mountains for a dyno. I'll supply the cold beverages and show you some country.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmaxed
I towed the 5er last weekend with the stock tune. Stock sucks. Actually on the long hills with foot to the floor there wasn't a lot of difference. That may be because I am due, OK past due for a fuel filter change. The big difference is that between 2-3000 rpm0 the 93 oct tune has way more grunt. Just pulls when the stock tune runs out of juice.

Hey Mike. Come on up to Montana. You can use my rig for a test mule and mountains for a dyno. I'll supply the cold beverages and show you some country.
10-4 I heard that. We just pick a 08 V10 late last week..got to get the 5er hitch in it first..