Wyoming Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: coolbeans

Official Wyoming June BS thread- Let the jabbering begin!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Afternoon Orin! I look forward to grandkids someday...just not too soon, though!! Nebraska just passed a law banning smoking in all public buildings. Our company banned smoking/chewing anywhere on company property. You can see people having to drive up and on to the highway at lunch to have a smoke. Man, am I ever glad I quit 5 years ago! Okay, busy day for me, so I'd better get back at it.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Pat, I understand completely for I was afraid that somewhere along the line it would not longer be a choice to quit or not but dictated. I can only amagine how long it will last before something will come up about smoking and driving. Makes you wonder.

My grandson is restless so it is time to roll. Hope to talk in the morn.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Afternoon all. We are supposed to have tornadoes in the next couple hours,so I will let everyone know what happens. It is pushing 70 right now but supposed to be down in the low 50's by two. The humidity is also 88% which is about 3 times the average.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Thanks for the encouragement guys... gotta stay mentally tough, Miles. I still have my moments once every couple of days, but it seems like the more time passes the easier it gets.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mwvdub
Afternoon all. We are supposed to have tornadoes in the next couple hours,so I will let everyone know what happens. It is pushing 70 right now but supposed to be down in the low 50's by two. The humidity is also 88% which is about 3 times the average.
Yikes! That is tornado weather... keep an eye on the skies!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Hey guys. Tornadoes?? 88% humidity?? Man, WTH is going on out there? That is what our usual weather is! Hopefully, any twisters will be out in open country.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
The storm is slow going but I can see it coming now. Maybe we will have night twisters?

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
looks mean over here too... but no warnings or watches yet.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
now they are saying the chances are better tomorrow for a tornado. Still really muggy though

Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 PM
swann79
Posting Guru
We had thunderboomers and some rain. Rained out my oldest daughter's baseball game. This is by far the wettest and coolest spring I have seen since moving to Wyoming 6 years ago.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,105 Likes on 4,189 Posts
Morning Wyoming...Happy Friday!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Good morning Ken and this is a happy morning here at the ranch as the weather yesterday was not all that bad. Some where around 4 the clouds boiled around a bit and the temps dropped suddenly forcing me to put on an over shirt as I was working out doors but nothing worse than that.

I wrote this before so I will not get too carried away on this but in the summer of 1980 or 81 was most likely the worst year I have seen here for twisters and foul weather. Cloud disturbances were a very common thing that year and it was not unusual to see twisters every couple of weeks dancing around on Iron Mountain west of me. I have seen as many as 6 or so dancing around back there for a while. That was the summer that Cheyenne got tore up with the one that went through the north end of town even going through the National Guard by the airport. Crazy thing was when it came through it jumped the highway that ran along side the airport (Central Ave?) then landed in the air port continuing on. There were few injuries if I remember right because when it went through the Buffalo Ridge housing most people were at work at that time in the afternoon.

We here at the ranch had a small tornado go through here Sept of 74 at 10 at night and never even knew it. The wind howled like fury and it was black out that night but here the wind normally howls anyway so there was a great surprise the next morning when we found the neighbors grain bin behind our house and looking on found junk scattered through our pasture jumping our hay stacks believe that or not and going 4 miles to I-25 before it played out. That is the only known tornado to have existed here at the ranch since my great-grandparents settled in here in 1909. Even though I’ am not paranoid I keep an eye to the sky this time of the year for you never know for sure one minute to the next when something may break out even checking around at night if it suddenly gets too muggy and still or anything that changes rather quickly which would disturb my sleep.

I would suspect however if another one goes through here I will either be fortunate to never know about it until it passed through the country or hopefully not become surprised for even though I know a lot more than I did in 74 for I seen the signs but did not know I will think quite possibly the next will come through differently and catch me off guard even though I hope not. I guess the end of all this is there is never a clear cut sign of an impending tornado for through the years I have seen a few around the country and they seem to come and go at a whim some causing damage……others just shocking you up a bit as one I remember around Wheatland in the late eighties early nineties that one dropped out of the sky in a cornfield within a half mile to the west of me without warning for the sirens never even went off and danced around for less than a minute and by the time I gathered my feathers so to speak it had sucked back up and was gone. I think quite possibly I was the only one to see that one for I never heard anything about it from anyone else.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
I have to get going so hope to talk later today after I complete task's set out for today. My 3 year old grandson I find out loves to work on vehicles with me which has slowed me down some both in keeping track of the wrenchs and keeping him out of harms way. My son has been a big help in keeping him entertained but moms flower bed in Scottsbluff may no longer be safe as he likes to dig holes just like the dogs...........oh boy!

Last edited by Orin Martin; 06-05-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Double posted.......rewrite
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Good morning Ken.

I agree with you Scott. It has been really mild here and rains almost every day. Most days for the last week it has rained all day. I had to rush home yesterday so I could mow my lawn at lunch. It was getting out of hand.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Here is a couple of pic's of my grandson who has taken over my home. LOL!

Deep in thought with a new found favorite toy

Devilish thoughts

I actually found out in a few moments what evil thought had been going on as when my son slid out he saw his chance for escape and bolted......a nasty little habit I have been putting a stop to.

Last edited by Orin Martin; 06-05-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: First links did not work correctly.

Quick Reply: Official Wyoming June BS thread- Let the jabbering begin!!