2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scangauge II

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM
pb34
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scangauge II

Hello there, I am looking into buying a Scangauge II so I can monitor various different things when towing and in general. My question is are there any risks to buying a used one? I know with the tuners and such they need to be reprogramed but this is just basically a code reader so I shouldn't have any issues if I decide to go the used route correct?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 AM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had a Scangauge I for two F150s now, and use it as a code reader on all the other family cars too. Very useful and versatile.

There is always a risk in buying something used, but you know that already.

The questions I would ask are:

1. Why is the individual getting rid of it? Mounting problems are an acceptable answer. "Too hard to read" is another, it works best with sharp eyes.

2. Where did they have it mounted? Atop the rearview mirror is best. On the dash out in the sun is the worst, unless they made some excellent shade somehow. Just hanging around is not too good, as it falls, gets stuff put on it, et cetera.

If the price is less than half the current selling price, I'd be interested. If more than that, I'd probably avoid it unless I knew the seller personally and they just took good care of their stuff in general. YMMV.

Good luck,

Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Hank. How was it treated? If you decide that it was not treated well. 164 dollars is not that bad to spend on a completely new one. It is your call but whenever buying used stuff be careful and do your homework. Good luck and look forward to hearing about what you do!
~jstnromero