1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

4.6 Mod Motor in 66 F100

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.6 Mod Motor in 66 F100

OKay guys. i found a crown vic front end from an 05 Police Crown Vic (P71). Need to do power steering and disc brakes to make the ride safe and easy for the wife. Lowering the truck is an added bonus.

Also been looking to covert my truck to an auto for sometime (for the wife) and i was able to locate an 04 P71 motor and trans that will bolt right to the new crossmember.

Questions? has anyone done this or a similar swap before? my concern is really the computer situation. I guess this uses an eec V computer stock and im wodering if i will have big issues making the computer work. i can find the computers all day on Ebay. one auction said i may need to have my key reprogrammed to match the computer and obvioulsy i will not have a crown vic key in my truck. just trying to get info, whether specific or general on anyone who has swapped in a fuel injected mod motor and used a factory computer?

Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 PM
phred_47
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, yes the PATS anti theft has to be removed from the confusor. You have a coil on plug engine which is more complex to fire. I finally bought a Detail Zone kit and solved all those troubles. You send them the 'putor, and tthey reproram it and install a "good" chip. They lead yoou by the hand on installing the wires where they ought to go and have all proper clips to fit everything installed on one end AND all wires are marked every few inches. (not a cheap deal,but great). It plugs righ into the trans case,etc. also.regards,phred.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 PM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
Can you give me some idea of cost. Honestly the budget is stupid tight on this and im not committed to the 4.6 if its going to break the bank? damn computer controlled stuff. contact infor for Detail Zone would be appreciated too.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
nver mind. i found detail zones info. thats obscenely expensive. thats more than im paying for the motor and trans with 3,200 miles on them!

i hope there is another way.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes you can cut and paste, spend umpteen hours getting it semi correct then give up and buy Detail Zones harness.

Or you can purchase an edelbrock carbureator intake and stand alone ignition. But you will still need to figure out how to make the electronic transmission shift.

Garbz

Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
IMO, shoving a carb on it is just taking the easy way out and like you said, then you have the issue of the transmission.

Fuel injected systems are really not that complicated once you break them down system-by-system, like sensors, spark, and fuel.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/ has GREAT information on Ford Fuel Injection systems. But the website appears to be going very slow right now

Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 PM
phred_47
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again, use a Baughman trans controller or similar, as advertised in Rod and Custom, etc rodding mags or Google electronic trans controllers. All this is faster and cheaper in the long run. Its what I used in my '40 ragtop with 2001 Interceptor/4r70 system. regards,phred

Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 AM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
so can i use an earlier model ecu without PATS? like a 98 crown vic or mustang and still get the HP the engine is rated for and trans/timing control or will the computer choke it (as they were designed with lower hp motors)

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 AM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by garbz2
Yes you can cut and paste, spend umpteen hours getting it semi correct then give up and buy Detail Zones harness.

Or you can purchase an edelbrock carbureator intake and stand alone ignition. But you will still need to figure out how to make the electronic transmission shift.

Garbz
well in that case i guess ill build a 390 for it and run a C6. as much as this truck is driven its just not worth it to spend that kind of money on a harness and reprogram. if im going to run a carb might as well run it on it what i have sitting in the garage (i have a 73 390 block i can build)

Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Too bad, I have driven a friends 65 with a mod engine from a Lincoln.

That is some engine and he gets 23 mpg to boot.

John

Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 AM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
i hear you, i want to make it work badly. but like i said 1200 bucks for the harness and reprogram is just out of my budget. I only drive the truck maybe 1500 miles per year and it would take 20+ years of gas savings to offset the cost.
Here's a thought.
can i just have Detail Zone reprogram my computer to get rid of the PATS problem? Im not really afraid of the harness, i have a buddy who just made his won harness in his 66 for a gt40p explorer to a earlier 90's mustang computer. It was time consuming but certaily not difficult. In this case i would be using all stock police interceptor parts eninge, harness, and computer... so it really shouldnt be that bad.

another question for jowilker and phred and whoever has done this. are you running catalytic convertors? if so did you run pre and post cat O2 sensors? if not, do you need the post O2 sensors to run without the check engine light on? if they are needed you think i can just weld them into the pipe down from the manifolds?

thansk a lot guys.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I have a FE/C6 in my truck, I would imagine all sensors would have to be in place to run the computer, but that is way over my head.

I am on your side, 1500 miles a year is hard to justify many upgrades. I don't put many miles on mine but it is ready when I need it and for whatever I want it for.

John

Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
If that 4.6 is a 2 valve, you should be able to run it with an earlier ODB-II computer without much problem - plus you could get a tuner to make up for any potentially lost power and even delete the cats out of the programming.

If the engine still has the engine harness all connected, that can make things much easier. Thank fully ford color codes most of their wires, and there are diagrams on fordfuelinjection.com website that tells you what each pin goes to on virtually every sensor as well as the computer. Its pretty much just connecting wires from Point A to Point B, not hard, but tedious.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM
66shortbed
Cross-Country
I was thinking that too, so i started looking at options. PATS computers started in 96 for mustangs, same year they went to the 4.6 so 96 and later mustang computers are out (PATS being the problem) prior to 96 they were 5.0's so 95 and earlier mustang computers arent going to work either. crown vic's didnt go to PATS until like 97 or 98 and had the 4.6 much earlier. Looks like a great option right? Well, no. I have yet to find a tuner for the 92-96 crown vic. considering those motors made like 200 hp, a tuner is definatly needed, not worth swapping a 200hp motor into a go cart much less my truck i guess my grandmother (who owned a 93 crown vic) wasnt into tuning and racing her car

Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Doing some poking around, it looks like the PATS system is wireless. In that case you could get a proper PATS key to go with the computer, and hide the PATS transceiver and the key somewhere under the dash, and just be able to start your truck like you normally would.

BUT: Other places I'm reading are saying that P71 Interceptors were NOT equipped with PATS. So an interceptor computer may work.

Quick Reply: 4.6 Mod Motor in 66 F100