2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2008 Nav. Brake Bleeding advice, Please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:18 AM
00 Nav
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Nav. Brake Bleeding advice, Please...

Hi there, i was wondering if you guys can give me some pointers on how to properly bleed the brakes after changing out some brake pads. I know the order is RH rear, LH rear, RH Front and last is LH front. Longest to shortest routes get bled first....

I have a few questions...

1.Does the veichle have to be on or off when doing this...?

2. Can someone give me their way of doing this with my son at the brake pedal pumping and holding...? How many times to pump before holding with steady pressure?

3. Approx. how much brake fluid should i buy to change it out during the bleeding process....? I don't think it's been done ever, fluid looks like coke, really dark brown.

I tried this evening, but still had that mushy feeling....I had my boy pump 3 times, hold on the fourth pump, i would then open the bleeder screw until no fluid came out, then tighten....

Please, someone shed some light.....? Thanks

***** I just edited the tittle i meant 2000 and not a 2008. *******

Old 05-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 00 Nav
Hi there, i was wondering if you guys can give me some pointers on how to properly bleed the brakes after changing out some brake pads. I know the order is RH rear, LH rear, RH Front and last is LH front. Longest to shortest routes get bled first....

I have a few questions...

1.Does the veichle have to be on or off when doing this...?
OFF is fine

2. Can someone give me their way of doing this with my son at the brake pedal pumping and holding...? How many times to pump before holding with steady pressure?
10 pumps

see my personal method below

3. Approx. how much brake fluid should i buy to change it out during the bleeding process....? I don't think it's been done ever, fluid looks like coke, really dark brown.
get at least 1 qt of the stuff. the biggest quantity is the reservoir itself...but you've got probably 30-40 ft worth of brake line to flush out.

I tried this evening, but still had that mushy feeling....I had my boy pump 3 times, hold on the fourth pump, i would then open the bleeder screw until no fluid came out, then tighten....
you just put air back into the system

after your boy pumps up the brakes, have him hold the pedal with pressure.
then you crack that bleeder valve slightly. be ready to shut it immediately

warn your boy to tell you prior to the brake pedal hitting the floor so you can shut the bleeder.

DO NOT ALLOW THE BLEEDER TO BE OPEN WITHOUT FLUID FLOWING OUT...this means the fluid isn't displacing air...so air is going back inside the line

basically, the process will be like this:
1. Empty Reservoir, clean out, and refill with new fresh brake fluid.
Make sure to use a brand new bottle.

Brake fluid absorbs water from the air...so if it has been opened, it is basically no good unless you opened it just a very short time ago

also, be sure to get that Reservoir Cap back on good...it makes quite a mess if you don't
2. pump 10 times (if possible)
3. keep constant pressure on brake pedal
4. at wheel, crack bleeder valve
5. shut bleeder valve when the following occur:
5a. Clean Fluid arrives
5b. Brake pedal approaches floor
5c. You feel you've done enough venting
Whatever you do, keep that valve shut unless fluid is flowing out...otherwise air gets in
6. Check and refill your reservoir (ensure the cap is on tight afterwards)
7. Repeat as necessary for each wheel...and until you get fresh new fluid at each wheel

Please, someone shed some light.....? Thanks
hope I am able to help you some
several issues here...my stuff in bold mixed in with yours

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL YOU HAVE PROPERLY BLED THE BRAKES. YOU CURRENTLY HAVE AIR IN THE LINES.
The sponginess is the air getting compressed with each brake useage. It's not safe to be driving until bled

Hopefully the air stayed at each wheel, and hasn't migrated to your ABS proportioning block. If the air makes it to your ABS block, you'll have to visit a Dealership. There is no DIY way to bleed that F'ing block that I know off....so lets just hope nothing moved around.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:08 AM
00 Nav
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the same for a 2000 model, i accidently put 2008, i have a 00 model...? I will buy some dot 3 tomorrow and retry this using this method if infact is the same for a 2000 Nav. model. Any more advice or suggestions, im all ears and thanks!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:17 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

yeah man, this should be pretty much what you'll do for any car on the road.

I found out about that damn proportioning block on my 1993 Bronco that had 4 wheel ABS...nightmare. caught on fire, ran me about $200 for repairs

But the basics of every single brake system are the same.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:17 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
When you go buy the fluid do yourself a favor and grab a one-man brake bleeder. It makes the job MUCH easier and takes the guess work out of it.

Here's another option for future reference. Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder

Old 05-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

well hell

completely forgot about those things

good suggestion Monsta