Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Anyone know how I'd go about titling a trailer?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know how I'd go about titling a trailer?

I may have an opportunity to obtain another trailer (sold the last one) in trade for my gas truck. Catch is; there's no title. What's one do in PA about that? I've never dealt with titling a trailer before, and I'm sure this is used and older, as it needs a new floor. Am I just looking at wasting my time, or would this be something relatively easy to do (the titling thing)?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JP, just give Harrisburg a call tomorrow, I'm sure they can give you an answer, or go to the Penn Dot. site and look it up, I believe they're under Pa.gov, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone on here knows exactly where to go.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
I'll probably be making some calls; I can't seem to find out what I need to find out on the pa dmv. Seems like it's going to be a hassle no matter what.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jester try this link.

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform...ed_Vehicle.pdf

You'll need to find a notary or PA inspection mechanic that's qualified to sign off on the form. Not all of them are.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 AM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Right on. Thanks for that info. I'm going to talk to the guy with the trailer today and find out more about it. My biggest concern right now is that it seems it was either a home built, and never titled (by someone else) or mfg'd, and the title and vin have long since been gone. Either way, I'm not going to have the receipts that would have possibly been had during any build, but I'd get a bill of sale for the trailer, so I guess the next step is call the notary, and see what I find out.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Take a good look at the trailer before you close the deal. If it's big enough to haul a vehicle it has to have brakes on all wheels. Some small utility and boat trailers are exempt due to weight limits. If you like post a few pics and maybe I can point out a few things.

I happen to be one of those inspection mechanics I mentioned earlier.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:34 AM
JesterPgh
Elder User
I'm seriously considering passing on this deal. So far as I know, this guy has NO receipts, so I would ONLY have a bill of sale, plus whatever receipts I would get from when I invest in decking, etc.. I'm not sure Harrisburg would be too nice about that. It'll definitely need brakes on all 4, it's supposed to be 10 or 12k rated trailer, and I haven't contacted the guy again yet. It seems like a very big hassle to go through the registration process. I shoulda kept my old trailer, all the brakes and lights worked, already had the break-away, safety chains, ramps...ugh.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
No VIN, no title, no reciepts and needing lots of work sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Lost titles and missing VIN plates are fairly easy to deal with. Both at the same time will have the State Police climbing up your **** as soon as you start the application process. PA used to be pretty lienient on anything smaller than a semi trailer. Not anymore. A few years ago a tree chipper broke loose from a truck on RT. 8 in Gibsonia. The chipper hit a mini van and killed 2 kids. The truck driver was full of booze and pills. His license was also suspended. The hitch lock was found in a tool box and the chipper lacked safety chains. To add to the nightmare the chipper had been stolen from I think Asplund tree corp. After that if you were pulling a trailer you were getting pulled over. Odds were high you were getting a ticket. The law hasn't lightened up in the least.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
JesterPgh
Elder User
Yep, I remember that. I remember getting stopped while pulling my trailer at the time shortly after that as well. Everything was in order, so nothing happened, but they wanted to look. They've really tightened up on things, but that incident truly was a tragedy. I'm going to hold off and wait for the right trailer to come along, I'm not in a big hurry.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 AM
roadwreck
New User
from what i understand pa is super tuff on trailers ( be it home made or re-constructed) I Bought a 79 starcraft popup and took it down to the floor .. its currenty titled in my friends name who resides in del.. I Put new decking , and lights all around on it and it went thru delaware inspection with flying colors . All they do is check the vin plate on the tongue to the orig title and check the lights ,CHAINS. and of course any signs of breakage of the frame . THAT passed- went in the dmv and told them i want to retitle it as a utility trailer . no prob. It will be 10x easier when i go to title it in pa when i 'm ready cause the retitle part is done already.

any trailer inspection stations in lancaster area near lancaster city? i will be doing more trailers as i get them and need to find a local inspection station . thanks.

this is the way i bought it :

i actually took it to inspection like this minus header and side pc .

end product :

Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 AM
first_f250
Junior User
you need to have a cirtificate of orgin or a salavage cirtificate. the easiest way is to buy a cheap one withe a title and transfer the sereial number and then just title the trailer as the one you got cheap

Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Ah Chris, you might want to rethink that. You also might want to rethink posting that on a public forum. Moving a VIN number from one vehicle to another is considered fraud. Fraud is considered a felony offense. A Pennsylvania State Trooper can read this forum just as easily as anyone else.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 AM
first_f250
Junior User
good call i forgot that this is a public forum but its not illegal if you use a part from the trailer with a title and get a reconstructed title.