Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to diesels would like some advice.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
murphym84
Senior User
murphym84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
New to diesels would like some advice.

Hello, I am new to owning a diesel. I have a 1999 F-250, 7.3 Auto. It has 154,000 on it and still going strong. I am looking to get better fuel mileage and would like to know what are some good tips. What air intake should I look at, and what kind of chip should I be shopping for? I would like to get a little more performance but don't want to blow my trans. What are some good upgrades to can do to make it last? I do a little pulling with it but nothing to heavy, just some old muscle cars here and there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Welcome Matt!
Lots of options on intakes. Best bang for the buck is a 6637 filter with a Pete's cover. You can order a complete kit from Clay (Riffraff Diesel) or buy the filters at Fleet Filter.com and order a cover from Pete (TruckMods). AFE Stage 2 is also a favorite here, but more $. If you do a lot of dusty conditions driving, look into the Ford AIS intake.
Chip- DP Tuner, Power Hungry Performance, and Total Diesel Performance are the best options. Again, Clay at Riffraff can get you setup with a DP Tuner, or get direct with Jody (owner).
Trans mods- either a new valve body (JW from ITP Diesel or BTS) are good choices, or you can do a Transgo Tugger or HD2 kit if you don't mind getting dirty. The valve body is just a bolt in and go mod, the shift kits are a bit more involved.
You also need to be thinking about exhaust upgrades and gauges. Again, Clay is probably the best source. At least a 4" exhaust and EGT, trans temp, and boost gauges. I prefer and run Isspro's myself, Autometer and Dipricol are other good options.
Then we get into all the other mods- HPX, in tank mods, CCV delete... but we'll save that stuff for later
Welcome to the forum, be prepared to hear your CC scream for mercy!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE Matt.

Chase did a great job posting this. I can't add anything at the moment. . Do lots of reading and ask before you do anything to your truck. These guys done the trial and error for you, they know what is best for the 7.3. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Riffraff Performance
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
Wow, Chase really covered all the bases. All I can say is welcome to FTE

Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Yep -- start with the basics. Intake, exhaust, gauges, trans mod, tuner. I think you've gotten excellent advice so far, and you can expect to drop about $1000-$1500 depending on what options you go with. If you go aluminized on the exhaust, stick to only two tunes, and go with a 6637, you can get it done for $1000. Do like me and go with SS exhaust, more expensive gauges, and lots of tunes, and you're looking at $1500 or more.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.03_PSD has a great reputation on FTE.
x's 5 what Chase said.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 AM
DieselCamper01
Post Fiend
DieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud of
Yep. Chase nailed it. Welcome

Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster
riverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE...The guys have you modded up

Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
murphym84
Senior User
Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome! I will be working on getting some stuff from Riff Raff. I am very keen on the DP tuner.

What Exhaust systems do you guys recommend? I currently have the stock exhaust without a muffler and a split duel exhaust at the rear diff.

Thanks for all the help!

Matt

Old 05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by murphym84 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome! I will be working on getting some stuff from Riff Raff. I am very keen on the DP tuner.

What Exhaust systems do you guys recommend? I currently have the stock exhaust without a muffler and a split duel exhaust at the rear diff.

Thanks for all the help!

Matt
Anything but Diamond Eye IMO! MBRP, Silverline, and MKO are all good kits. If you want duals, MBRP I think is the only choice other than Diamond Eye (which is what I have and don't recommend to anyone!)

Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM
murphym84
Senior User
What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with your mods?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
All trucks are different, I would be lucky to almost get 16 MPG on the highway, where some are getting 21.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Riffraff Performance
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by murphym84 View Post
What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with your mods?
Depends alot where you live and how you drive also. The mid-west flat landers can see awesome mileage on the freeway. For me I have to climb a mountian no matter where I go. If I set the cruise on 70 and let it do its own thing on the climbs I average 16 with 35's and a 4" lift. But if I would sow down a little I might see better

Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Nothing to add here but Welcome to FTE!!!

Chase covered all of it. We're going to appoint him to be the forum's official Welcome Wagon!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by megawatt00 View Post
Nothing to add here but Welcome to FTE!!!

Chase covered all of it. We're going to appoint him to be the forum's official Welcome Wagon!
"Official FTE Post Wh0re" would be a more fitting title
I don't check my mpg often, I'd venture to guess I'm only in the 15-16 range, even with my DP Tuner in 80 eco and a gentle right foot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to diesels would like some advice.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.