1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is It Necessary to Unplug DP Tuner Before going to Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is It Necessary to Unplug DP Tuner Before going to Dealer?

I've decided to get an AE to diagnose troubles as they pop up, just can't quite swing it yet, or shouldn't anyway (I've spent a lot lately, Tuner and gauges, in tank mod, and replaced K&N with 6637, all in the last month or so). I have an SES light so I dropped it off at the dealer, (oh how it pains me). I thought I had read somewhere (here I'm sure), that you should remove the tuner before taking to dealer, that the test equipment will burn up the tuner, so I did. Do I remember correctly (I am getting old)? Is this true? And if so do scanners i.e. Auto Enginuity, and Scan Gauge do the same thing? Thank you for your support.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC If they are just going to read codes then no problem, if they reflash the PCM then there may be an issue.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can use the AE with the chip in the truck. When I had my CPS recall done, I gave them strict instruction not to flash or do anything but the CPS.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

better safe than sorry. The dealer/tech may decide you need an update and think hey are doing you a favor...

Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
89BlackBeauty
Senior User
AE is MUCH more powerful than I Scangauge. AE uses a laptop, so you will need that. It is just a connection device and software. Scangauge will give you the data on the screen, no laptop needed (at least from what I understand). AE can monitor the same stuff as Scangauge, and I think do a few more tests, but the main power is the data logging, and multiple readings at multiple times.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
No need to pull the chip... If you want to and get a warm feeling by doing it, go for it, but its not nessasary.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've always done if for the simple fact that I didn't want to give any of them an excuse for why the pickup is leaking brake fluid.

It seems that in the past if I've taken it to the dealership with something wrong, in the initial conversation, the question comes up "Do you have it chipped?" When I reply with "Yeah, it's got a chip in it." They aways set down their tools and say, "Well, that's got to be what it is. Those chips are notorious for causing problems!"

Doesn't matter if it's a turbo, injectors, leaky brake line, or a stuck valve stem on the tire. The dealer is going to claim it's the chip.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
First mistake... Taking it to the dealer for anything...

Second mistake... telling them you have a chip.

I leave mine on the race file... It really confuses them.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD

Agreed on #1 and #2. For #3, all I can say is

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was years ago, I was in college away from home, and didn't know where else to take it to at the time. Now the only time I'll go there is if I need a module or something replaced and they are the only place that can program it.

Again refer to my 1st sentence above. Now I don't care.

I'll have to try the race tune if I ever have to take it in.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I had my Superchips tuner I used to set it back to stock just so there was no problems. I think they ended up reflashing my comp. because my running lights used to come on when I unlocked my truck with the remote, doesn't light up no more except the interier lights, incompitant idiots...So my answer would be what Diane said below..Paid way to much not too..

Last edited by big poppa; 05-21-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Continued..
Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
No need to pull the chip... If you want to and get a warm feeling by doing it, go for it, but its not nessasary.
FYI-We get calls several times weekly that a dealership/shop has zapped one of our customers chips. If they reflash the PCM to update the code or program it with something else, it will KILL the chip and or PCM. Don't chance it. TAKE OUT THE CHIP before you go to the dealership. PCM's are getting hard to get as well.

Just reading for codes is fine, but if they reflash the PCM for any reason it will toast it.

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Thanks All, I appreciate the help. I honestly don't know what I would do without the help I get here.

Check out my follow up thread. Amazing how much help you are, and how much money you have saved me, no I take that back, I have PMS because of you as well so you have cost me dearly (but it is a lot of bang for the buck :-).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...sor-480-a.html

Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
A little trick I picked up from a Lightning board I frequent: Drill a hole in the plastic housing lip of the OBD II port and attach a small lock to it. Something small enough to be unobtrusive, but large enough to keep the dealership tech from attaching their cable connector to the port.

That will keep them from flashing your PCM without your knowledge (which they will do), without your prior approval (which they don't need), or against your specific instructions (which they have been known to do).

Just make sure it's a combo lock, or at the very least, if it's a key'd lock, don't keep the key in your truck or on your key ring.

Stewart

Old 05-22-2009, 08:14 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
A little trick I picked up from a Lightning board I frequent: Drill a hole in the plastic housing lip of the OBD II port and attach a small lock to it. Something small enough to be unobtrusive, but large enough to keep the dealership tech from attaching their cable connector to the port.

That will keep them from flashing your PCM without your knowledge (which they will do), without your prior approval (which they don't need), or against your specific instructions (which they have been known to do).

Just make sure it's a combo lock, or at the very least, if it's a key'd lock, don't keep the key in your truck or on your key ring.

Stewart
Very good info Stewart, thanks for sharing...