1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need to pic the minds of you deisel gurus out there...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Need to pic the minds of you deisel gurus out there...

99 F350 PSD Crew Cab - 214K miles - Full stock

Today I was pulling a load of about 4000lbs in a tandem axel motorcycle trailer, (enclosed) and was going up a fairly steep hill...but a short one. The truck performed normally, turbo spooling up and increasing as I acellerated, but as I got to the top, I left off the throttle suddenly as a stupid calf was in the road. As soon as I let off the pedal, there was this sound that was kind of a cross between a whooshing sound and a light metal scraping. So I passed the 4 legged road steak and hit the throttle again, and let off again...same sound. Only happens right after I let off after getting into it and the turbo is spooling up. I unloaded the trailer and was slowly pulling uphill out of the pasture area, (Load of hay), going nice and easy as the gate is a tight squeeze, lightly on the pedal sounded like a slight rattling sound. I dropped the trailer, went uphill up the road getting into it then left off quickly. I could barely hear it without a load.

My first thought is OK 214k miles....idler pulley and new belt are due. Probably the bearings getting sloppy and rattling in the "slack" moments between letting off and idling. It doesn't do it when idling either. Only at the slack point if I let off really quick or barely touch the pedal.

Then maybe thinking...great...turbo bearings. But I am hoping to not go that route.

So I pass it to you oh mighty deisel gurus. Speak to me oh wise ones!

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Normal sound for the stock turbo.

Put an open intake on it, and you'll really hear it loud, even unloaded.

The loudest I've ever heard it was on a truck with dual stacks. He had no chip and no programmer, just hammered it hard, and suddenly let off when the turbo was spooled.

My 38r does it too, just it's a different sounding noise than the stock turbo.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could very well be the turbo bearings starting to wear out. You need to pull the intake tube and chek for in and out shaft play on the compressor wheel. side to side is o.k. ,that slack is taken up by the oil bath that surrounds the turbo shaft when running, but in and out movement means the shaft is moving on the oil seals. You can see my turbo rebuild page at Guzzles, it is really pretty easy.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he's describing that "screech/chuffa" sound the stocker makes when you let off the pedal, Brandon. Could be wrong, so a check for shaft play is a good idea. I kind of forgot about that sound now that I have the ATS...

EDIT: Did it kind of sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSkSDCFb9c

Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I think he's describing that "screech/chuffa" sound the stocker makes when you let off the pedal, Brandon. Could be wrong, so a check for shaft play is a good idea. I kind of forgot about that sound now that I have the ATS...

YouTube - 6.0L Powerstroke SCT Tuned "Turbo Fart"
I think he's been around long enough and had the truck long enough to recognize a new sound. If I am correct, it warrants investigating.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Maybe. Mine only started doing that after a lot of mods...

Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

YouTube - 6.0L Powerstroke SCT Tuned "Turbo Fart"

Nope...No chuffing...I found that one when I was pulling another PSD out of a steep ditch. First time scared the hell out of me.

This doesn't chuf chuf chuf...it is constant for about 1 second as I let off the throttle.

I will definately pull the intake tube off in the morning and check out the wheel play in the turbo.

Anything else to check for while I'm under there? (Other than all the missing mods I want to do)

If I dont get the time to get to it in the morning, then I will record it if I can get it to do it again and post that.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Mine does the same thing... no visible wear on the turbo yet. What I was told is that its an early sign that your turbo is getting tired and will need rebuilt soon.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 AM
gmm
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a stock box, it could be a clip came loose or a problem with intake tubing. Look over your intake tubing and air box really good. I had one at work start making noises like it had a 6637 on it when the box partially popped open.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

OK So it wasn't what I thought...not the turbo, idler pulley or belt. On my way into work this morning, it hit me that i just had the oil changed at a local dealership. They were having a special for oil changes $50. So I had it done cause it was due anyway. Anyhow..... I stopped for fuel and thought...I'll check the oil. HOLY CRAP!!! Luckily the dealership was just a few blocks down the road. The level barely read on the dipstick if at all! So I went to them and very nicely, but letting them know I wasn't happy, what had happened. They checked their records, verified that I was in there about 6 days ago. Checked for oil leaks and didn't find any. So they ran the truck through a few checks, changed the oil again and also threw in a new air filter (it was due too). Before they brought out my truck for me, I was handed a certificate for 2 yrs of oil changes, an apology from the service manager with a letter stating that the engine was checked out and all seems well now BUT!..... should anything happen within the next 90 days because of the lack of oil, (come to find out it was about 6 quarts low), they will repair the damage free of charge and they wanted me to bring it in again in about 2 mounths for another check. ** and I also managed to hear the tech that did it the first time getting his butt chewed out. It wasn't his first time apparently. **

So now no more noise when I let off the throttle, smoother, (go figure), and I feel alot better about driving it around again. I really need to turn the stereo down once in awhile and listen. Had my wofe not been with me the other day, I would of had the tunes cranked and would not of heard it.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
So how low was it, did they ever tell you? So what was the noise? I'm curious. A lot of folks say that these engines can't be hurt by low oil because the injectors quit firing before damage happens.

On another note, I'm not sure I'd want 2 years of oil changes from a place that doesn't put enough in!!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

So how low was it, did they ever tell you? So what was the noise? I'm curious. A lot of folks say that these engines can't be hurt by low oil because the injectors quit firing before damage happens.

On another note, I'm not sure I'd want 2 years of oil changes from a place that doesn't put enough in!!

LOL I am not too worried baout it since the guilty party has been pointed out so I will check myself after its done anyway.
It was about 6 quarts low. they said they only drained 9 quarts out. I didn't think it would fire either but the more i htought about it, the more everything started making sense. It had been a bit ahrder to start sine the first oil change. Well low oil means less pressure sooooo.....

Apparently yhe lack of oil let the parts make a little more contact than they should of at the slack point.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Yeah, that's what you get for not thinking with your dipstick!!!

I hope there was no damage. Metal-on-metal noise would scare the crap out of me though...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Yeah, that's what you get for not thinking with your dipstick!!!

I hope there was no damage. Metal-on-metal noise would scare the crap out of me though...

JIMMY!!!!

They did check for metal filings and showed me and noted on the service log. Nuttin...nada....zip. That was my big worry too. But so far...all seems good to go.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
That's good news then!! Glad it didn't end up as a seized motor! My neighbor's minivan made it about a mile from the quicky-lube place. No oil plug. DOH!!!!

Quick Reply: Need to pic the minds of you deisel gurus out there...