Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Need a Ford TECH

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
snipinu
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Ford TECH

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer with 200,000 miles on it. The explorer is a v6 with Control Trac. Recently whenever the truck is moving either in reverse or forward I would hear a clunk clunk sound almost sounded like something was dragging this would stop around 10 mph. After 10 miles an hour, You could feel vibration in the steering wheel but no noise except for sometimes I would hear a squeak sound. After 40 MPH, VIbration increased through out the entire drivers compartment, at 60 the vibration decreased but was still there in the wheel. Today, driving home was like driving a housedrawn buggy. But after going about 20 miles it stopped and there was hardly any vibration in the wheel and none in the drivers compartment. Unfortunately it started back up a few moments later. The whole truck was vibrating like it was gonna fall apart. RPMS were about 2,000 the entire time. I have no idea what it is sounds like either a universal? or the transfer case? or both. Please post any input, thanks for your help!