1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperDuty: 30 mpg by 2016 ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM
ironmine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperDuty: 30 mpg by 2016 ??

Optimum Online - News - AP News - Obama's new rules will transform US auto fleet

More aluminum ? new technology ? Fairy Tale ?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ride 16 miles and tow next 20 miles = 36 MPG!!!! or more!!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the 3/4 and up trucks will probably be exempt from the standard. Currently the window sticker is not required to give factory MPG figures on an SD.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have a diesel/electric that can haul 18K (or more). It would also be nice to have a gas/electric but I think the diesel would be a certainty to develop the torque required for a hefty DC coil. Heck, I think I could survive on a 1/10 scale down of a CSX locomotive powertrain. Would be cool.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no chance...

unless someone develops a miracle cure for bad MPG vs. emisions...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
don't think we will ever see unless there is some serious degrading of the SD capabilites...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
The 30 mpg is an average efficiency from all trucks(and probably suv's as well)sold. Not just the Super Duty.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I would image that those numbers will be based on CAFE like they are now. Like ruschejj said they will probably still exempt 8500+ GVWR vehicles anyway. If not it would be intresting to see a hybrid SD once you got over the intial shock of the idea.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
People should be able to drive whatever suits them. If you want people to buy smaller, more efficient cars, put them on the market, and let the people decide. Just look at MINI these days.

Last edited by krewat; 05-20-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Removed political rant.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
People should be able to drive whatever suits them. If you want people to buy smaller, more efficient cars, put them on the market, and let the people decide. Just look at MINI these days.
How dare you! It's so clear why these new CAFE standards are needed... "We the people" are so stupid that we need to be told what is good for us... and the future generations that will need those resources to work to repay all of the current multi-trillion dollar government spending. This is what will make us "one big happy family" when we will ALL have nothing in our bank accounts and are standing in food-lines for our daily rationing.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
There is probably a reason the Ford built an F450 pickup. I expect the government will apply these standards to all light trucks. That means 1 ton and less. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see short bed crew cab and single wheel rear axle F450s in the future. They would technically be rated at 1.25 tons in order to avoid federal regs.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Furian
How dare you! It's so clear why these new CAFE standards are needed... "We the people" are so stupid that we need to be told what is good for us... and the future generations that will need those resources to work to repay all of the current multi-trillion dollar government spending. This is what will make us "one big happy family" when we will ALL have nothing in our bank accounts and are standing in food-lines for our daily rationing.
Yep, Andrew there are still way too many folks who feel they have an inalienable right to squander every last drop of precious finite natural resources regardless of the global effect. You can usually observe them throwing the grease stained wrappings of their McDonalds happy meal out of the window driving at 80mph.
SIGN ME UP for a 30mpg SD as soon as they become available. I don't care if it burns pig intestines and costs $5k more.
-Ed

Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
Yep, Andrew there are still way too many folks who feel they have an inalienable right to squander every last drop of precious finite natural resources regardless of the global effect. You can usually observe them throwing the grease stained wrappings of their McDonalds happy meal out of the window driving at 80mph.
SIGN ME UP for a 30mpg SD as soon as they become available. I don't care if it burns pig intestines and costs $5k more.
-Ed
Wow! For a minute there I thought that you were talking about me... but I don't eat at McDonalds. As for higher MPG in all vehicles, there has been technology to make this a reality for the past 20 years. My 5.4L engine could be getting 30 MPG and have another 100 HP/TQ.

My issue is that the government is mandating only one aspect of social responsibility (going green) at the demise of our freedom to choose what we want to drive. The free market will work these issues out if the government will only get out of the way!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Exactly. In reviewing my previous posts on TPMS and other federally mandated "protections from ourselves" I lean way left when it comes to buckling up in my SD with the Feds every morning. If the powers that be would just get it thru their thick, lobbyist supported skulls that it takes much more than broad stroked blanket legislation to accomplish often well intended change, we would all be a lot freer and safer.
-Ed

Last edited by LMS Residential; 05-20-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: misspellt werd
Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I usually won't go into this in open forum (the Club is a different story), and I already had to edit some comments in this thread, but ...

Originally Posted by Furian
My issue is that the government is mandating only one aspect of social responsibility (going green) at the demise of our freedom to choose what we want to drive. The free market will work these issues out if the government will only get out of the way!
The original CAFE ratings were not for going green, it was for saving fuel.

If the original CAFE ratings were not put in place, auto manufacturers would NEVER have gotten the efficiency up as high as it is now.

This latest step is way overdue.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like this part:

"Car companies are rewiring vehicles so components such as air conditioners and power steering pumps are powered by electricity rather than by the engine, saving fuel."

THE ENGINE MAKES THAT ELECTRICITY YOU MORONS!

Quick Reply: SuperDuty: 30 mpg by 2016 ??