Best overall performance upgrades 03 v10 - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best overall performance upgrades 03 v10

Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 AM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
sorry guys but almost all the junk that can still be found and purchased for a 3 valver, won't help in the real world.

useing my 05 though a shop i used to work as a test mule and a dyno as the prover. we tryed almost every thing out there. what was found to work the best was simply leaving the motor,tune and exhaust dead stock and re-gearing to 4:56's. with the stock sized tires.

ford did thier home work on this motor very well and has it well tuned for being a work horse. try and remember the saying "there is a six for every seat and a seat for every six" same goes for after market parts for this great now gone motor.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 AM
trialnterror
New User
trialnterror is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
sorry guys but almost all the junk that can still be found and purchased for a 3 valver, won't help in the real world.

useing my 05 though a shop i used to work as a test mule and a dyno as the prover. we tryed almost every thing out there. what was found to work the best was simply leaving the motor,tune and exhaust dead stock and re-gearing to 4:56's. with the stock sized tires.

ford did thier home work on this motor very well and has it well tuned for being a work horse. try and remember the saying "there is a six for every seat and a seat for every six" same goes for after market parts for this great now gone motor.
I can tell you that installing the banks power pack ,mikes 5 star tuner, and 456 gears makes my truck feel like a whole different truck, when I first test drove it I put the pedal to the metal n all I heard was a big whirl from the fan! The truck didn't even move! Now it halls *****, keep in mind I have the old 1999 two valve 265 horse! I actually use my overdrive now! And taking off from around 20 mph it moves unlike before where I had to wait for the rpms to rev before it started to move!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Tonka426
New User
Tonka426 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford f250 4x4 v-10 gears and performance

Hmm, ok, I've. Got 2001 ford f250 v-10 super duty 4x4.
I've got Air Raid Intake and hypertech programmer and running 33 inch tires and stock gears. What ever that might be. More then likely 3.73 don't know but back to the question , what gears should I go to..? I pull a 21 ft. Snow Sport enclosed trailer, and any other exhaust Ideas would be appreciated but not interested in headers. O'yeah it does have leveling kit on front end, what do you guyZ think about air baggs for rear end ,waist of money or not..hmm..thanks..

Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I can probably added to whats already been said as I've been through some the stuff mentioned. I too have an 03' CC 4x4 V10 as shown in my signature. I've owned this rig since 05' and know it well. As I've traded and changed trailers over the years I found myself struggling pulling a GVW of around 22k lbs when I had to fight the slightest wind.

My first mod was to reengineer the necked down y-pipe. I don't know if this gave me any seat of the pants gain but for the $50-$75 I spent on it, it certainly didn't hurt developed a vibration around 35k miles and at that time I change all the fluids out with new synthetics which included the differentials, the transfer case, and the trans. Was looking for the vibration and the fluids were simply changed because we had everything apart. The vibration eneded up being a u-joint which was changed a few thousand miles later. Changing all the fluids didn't hurt but probably didn't do anything but lighten my wallet as the shop that drained them said one of there mechanics want to save the fluids and use it in his own stuff because it looked so good! . I then went with the maintence items at around 50k miles with a plug change and I was already on a strict filter change doing the air and fuel every year (about every 6k miles) and was also on a diet of Motor Craft 5w-20 synthetic blended oil and filters every 2-3k miles (twice a year or so) along with a yearly atifreeze change. Next was the 5-star tuner with an 87 octane economy tune, and 89 & 91 octane towing tunes. Now this made a nice impression that I was quite pleased with however I was still looking for more. I don't know if the transmission tuning or the increased power made more of a difference but no matter I felt this was a worth while investment. Next on the list was the gear change and trany freshing; went from 3.73s to 4.56s. All I can say is this is by far and away the most notable increase in performance. I had full master rebuilds done on both axles, Amsoil sever gear oil, both u joints replaced again, and the trans was rebuilt with a heavy duty torque converter and a new/rebuild trans pump. Of course the entire bill set me back about $3,800 but it is truely a different animal when hooked up to a trailer! There are some draw backs which I go over in detail if you look up my old thread however the gains far out weigh the drawbacks. I now can pull the same GCW of more than 22k lbs without much issue.

I would skip most of the so called "Bolt Ons" and spend your money where it will count the most which is on gears, and a tuner. The y-pipe is cheap and has been shown to have some gain as does a CAI however the rest of the stuff yields little in terms of hp or tq. Headers are kind of the last thing on my list but again for a decent set your gonna drop $600-$1,000 and the gains are minimal. If I come across a a reasonably priced set I'll be giving them a try as I have a few broken exhaust manifolds however I'm not gonna break the bank to add them either.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
With 33's, a 4.56 gear ratio will result in an effective ratio very similar to a stock truck with 4.30s which is a good towing combination.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Rosson03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rosson03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
anyone told him that he should try the dual bbk throttle body

Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Gregory M. Walton
New User
Gregory M. Walton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sitting on 40's

Since everyone keeps pointing towards gears and tuning, can someone help me figure out what gears to run in my 2000 cc f250 that's got 12" and running 40-15.5-20 tires. The v10 just don't seem to like getting into overdrive and I'm sitting at 2400 rpm at 60mph

Old 02-16-2016, 09:48 PM
jakgod3
Senior User
jakgod3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Gregory M. Walton
Since everyone keeps pointing towards gears and tuning, can someone help me figure out what gears to run in my 2000 cc f250 that's got 12" and running 40-15.5-20 tires. The v10 just don't seem to like getting into overdrive and I'm sitting at 2400 rpm at 60mph
I'd say that if you have 40's on your truck, you should go with 5.13's

Old 02-18-2016, 12:48 PM
KP1001
Senior User
KP1001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
are the v 10's detuned alot from the factory??
my 06 along with a couple of others seem "doggy", Pretty sure i have 4:10's in the rear also.
is there a good free flowing cat convtr, muffler and tune from 5 star that will provide a significant difference?

Old 02-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Diamnd1
Elder User
Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by KP1001 View Post
are the v 10's detuned alot from the factory??
my 06 along with a couple of others seem "doggy", Pretty sure i have 4:10's in the rear also.
is there a good free flowing cat convtr, muffler and tune from 5 star that will provide a significant difference?

5 Star tuning will bring it to life. Free flowing exhaust will help as well. Check the cats for a clog. Some year models are prone to it. Also how well maintained are these 'dogs'?

I don't understand how a V10 feels 'doggy' especially the 3V engine. I have a 2V engine and will move the #7500 brick very well. They are no diesel, but if a diesel did not have a turbo, they would be dogs too.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:50 PM
KP1001
Senior User
KP1001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ethanol seems to make things worse and 100% gas isnt much better unless the octane rating is 91. ive read quite a bit on the 5 star tunes and everyone seems to be happy with the results. its not a good sounding motor so im thinking about a Thrush "Hush" muffler in addition to the tune.
I also hear that Ford detunes the motor to cut down on warranty work and meet the govt demands.??? any truth to that? also, any suggestions on free flowing catalytic converters?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gregory M. Walton View Post
Is that 60mph what the speedo reads or is it from a GPS? Chances are your speedo is off and probably by a lot.

Here is a calculator you can use to figure out what gears you have without pulling the cover and counting teeth. You will need to know the actual mph you are going (gps) and the rpm at that speed.(with torque converter locked) If you don't know your transmission and transfer case ratios we can help you out.

Gear Ratio Calculator

Ideally you want you want your rpm in OD with the TQ locked to be around 2300rpm at 65 or 70mph.

Originally Posted by KP1001 View Post
Ethanol seems to make things worse and 100% gas isnt much better unless the octane rating is 91. ive read quite a bit on the 5 star tunes and everyone seems to be happy with the results. its not a good sounding motor so im thinking about a Thrush "Hush" muffler in addition to the tune.
I also hear that Ford detunes the motor to cut down on warranty work and meet the govt demands.??? any truth to that? also, any suggestions on free flowing catalytic converters?
Ethanol blows. I don't like it either but it is the turd we are dealt by morons in government. The 5 star tunes work very well, performance and tow tunes. Obviously the more octane you have the more power you can get out with tuning, but higher octane costs more money. It is not that Ford "detunes" anything they just tune it for old ladies that like a smoooooth and soft shifting trans with lots of lag in it. It only got worse when drive by wire was added. I have tried all kinds of mufflers on V10s. I've settled on the stainless Flowmaster 70 BB2 muffler exiting out of the stock location. The FM 50 big block or large HD would work also. When the V10 gets loud it gets annoying and packed mufflers tend to bring out the V6 sound. I have had a Dynatech cat on my truck for like 8 years now. I can't really say it made a whole of difference, main thing is the cat is in good shape and not clogged.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:51 PM
MetalHead_medic333
New User
MetalHead_medic333 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Swap gears to 4.30s (if your running stock tires) and get an SCT tuner with a good towing/performance tune. You can swap out the factory muffler because its fairly restrictive.

I have long tube headers/y pipe, custom exhaust, tuner and intake all the mods combined will not compare to the proper gears. 3.73s suck and I'm going to 4.30s as soon as I can.

just curious with with long tube headers are you guys doing stock cat ? Looking to put long tubes on my 03 v10 f250 and wanted to know if I have to replace the cat or use stock one

Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by MetalHead_medic333 View Post

just curious with with long tube headers are you guys doing stock cat ? Looking to put long tubes on my 03 v10 f250 and wanted to know if I have to replace the cat or use stock one
I would suggest you start a new thread and check some of the Tech folders out.

Headers do not require a cat changing as the y-pipe usually bolts to the cat.