1992 F-150 odometer limits - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

1992 F-150 odometer limits

Old 05-18-2009, 04:42 AM
renob
Freshman User
renob is starting off with a positive reputation.
1992 F-150 odometer limits

just wondering how many miles will show up on my odometer before it rolls over. I may of got misled by the former owner.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
I believe it is 300 or 399. i cant remember which

Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Virto
Posting Guru
Virto has a good reputation on FTE.Virto has a good reputation on FTE.Virto has a good reputation on FTE.
When I turn the key on in my '93, the odo will flash 399999 very quickly. Given that, I think you'll roll over once you hit 400k.

Dang that's a lot of miles lol.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM
renob
Freshman User
my odometer is mechanical

Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Virto has a good reputation on FTE.Virto has a good reputation on FTE.Virto has a good reputation on FTE.
I didn't know '92 had a mechanical odo, I thought it was digital. Might be a weird holdover thing, or maybe the title has the wrong year on it.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
The 91 and earlier trucks had mechanical speedometers/odometers, and the 92 and up trucks are fully electronic, controlled by the PSOM module.

The 89-91 mechanical speedometer/odometer "module" will physically fit into the 92-96 cluster, so maybe someone swapped it, made the wiring change, and installed a mechanical speedo/odo cable to a non-original transmission. I helped a friend do this swap and it was actually fairly easy.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
renob
Freshman User
You can tell the dash has been apart, the gear indicator does not move and I have no dash lights. Sounds like fun! Thanks for the info!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by frederic View Post
The 91 and earlier trucks had mechanical speedometers/odometers, and the 92 and up trucks are fully electronic, controlled by the PSOM module.

The 89-91 mechanical speedometer/odometer "module" will physically fit into the 92-96 cluster, so maybe someone swapped it, made the wiring change, and installed a mechanical speedo/odo cable to a non-original transmission. I helped a friend do this swap and it was actually fairly easy.
why would some one put an older cluster in a newer truck?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Because the PSOM uses a tone ring (92+) for speed/mileage.

The older clusters use a transmission cable.

Swap in a transmission from an older truck (c6 or something maybe) and you'll need a cable driven speedo.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:31 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by renob View Post
You can tell the dash has been apart, the gear indicator does not move and I have no dash lights. Sounds like fun! Thanks for the info!!!

post a picture so we know for sure what gauges you are working on.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Because the PSOM uses a tone ring (92+) for speed/mileage.

The older clusters use a transmission cable.

Swap in a transmission from an older truck (c6 or something maybe) and you'll need a cable driven speedo.

How would swaping the trans have anything to do w the spedometer. Like you said. it gets its reading off the rear

Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
How would swaping the trans have anything to do w the spedometer. Like you said. it gets its reading off the rear
PSOMs cook all the time, and the tone rings aren't known for being trouble free either, especially not on a truck that could potentially have a swapped out rear end.

PSOMs are still available from Ford but are like 500 bucks, and the dealer won't sell them if you don't come in so they can flash your mileage to the new one. For all we know, someone could have cooked a PSOM, had an older parts truck laying around and said "hey it's cheaper to swap these parts" than pay money to fix the problem.

There are reasons why people would do it, and even if we couldn't think of one, who's to say nobody else came up with one?

The problem in this case is that we have a truck recently purchased by a new owner, who doesn't know what the PO was up to.

I agree with QL, a pic is worth a thousand words.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM
renob
Freshman User
sorry, I'm really dumb. My truck does have a digital odometer. But I still have some stuff to fix. Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
The reason why my friend wanted to swap the mechanical "bits" into his digital cluster, is because he replaced the front and rear F350 axles with rockwells, which do not have a tone ring nor a speed sensor.

Also, the ABS module would be useless with axles of this size and weight (as well as the grossly oversized tires installed afterwards), since the curb weight of his F350 probably doubled (wild guess, rockwells are heavy beasts).

Since he replaced the ZF 5-sp transmission with a well-built C6 modified for manual ratchet shifting, the C6 could be fitted easily enough with a speedo cable and in turn connected to the mechanical speedo/odo module I installed for him.

Doing this was much easier than creating a tone-ring for either rockwell axle or figuring out what kind of speed sensor "might" fit into the C6 and provide a useful signal so the speedometer isn't way off. We found a couple of ford speed sensors off various vehicles but were unable to make gears that would fit the C6. One was pretty close and we actually tried it, but the plastic gear was chewed up within a mile.

Going with a mechanical speedo/odo module and a standard aftermarket cable, we got things to work though even with the gearing adapter between the tranny and the cable, the speedo is off by about 15% at quick glance. The 48" tires and the non-street gearing of the rockwell axles do not help.

His EEC is not feed a speed signal, yet operates reasonably well unless he hammers the throttle from a high rate of speed. While the transmission downshifts instantly the EEC doesn't adjust the timing fast enough for such a sudden increase in RPMs. Or it's giving too much timing to fast. I haven't had time to play with it yet though I've been saying that for almost a year now.

I made a simple circuit that measures the voltage off the TPS in parallel with the EEC and use that to create variable pulses. With more throttle, this circuit simulates more speed. Feeding this to the EEC, there was no difference in performance whatsoever. Idle, slow, fast, didn't matter.

Anyway, that's why we ripped out the digital speedo/odo module and grafted the older mechanical one in. It fit perfectly with minimal effort, except for a hole behind it where the PSOM module used to be to allow the speedo cable to be installed. The cable threaded right onto the aluminum part of the module so other than a hole in the back of the cluster where the PSOM module used to be, this was an easy swap. The hole took 30 seconds with a hole saw

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 PM
droppedf100
Elder User
droppedf100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow my truck has 312,000 on the original, unrebuilt 302/e4od. I was hoping it would show 400,000 but i guess not

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1992 F-150 odometer limits

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.