1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Where to route exhaust on a 48 F-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:41 PM
bryanswens
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to route exhaust on a 48 F-4

I just purchased some center dump headers and am wondering where to route them so my truck looks good. I was kind on thinking straight back with a pipe on each side but im not sure. The other option is to do the same with the pipes shooting out to the side. what have other people done for there larger truck exhaust. also I kind of want a really snappy raspy note how can I achieve that ??glass packs and small tubing?? I dont want cover the noise of this this flatty 8. below are some pics of my truck, what would you guys do to make it sound good with my centerdump headers. I am kind of working with a tight budget also.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What a handsome truck!

I would be tempted to run pipes straight back, then turn them to exhaust out behind the running boards--- maybe about 3 to 4 inches aft of the cab. With a chromed tip!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:41 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I have cherry bomb mufflers on my panel and they're just starting to deteriorate enough the truck is starting to develop a nice rumble. I have read on the flathead site that a lot of guys use the cherry bomb, glass pack mufflers and either remove the glass packing or dump diesel fuel in them to help the process. There is also another flat head trick to get a nice rapping sound when you let off the gas. I've also read about this and talked to some old flathead guys, they put pennies in the two holes under the intake. The holes are perfect for the penny to fit but it has to be an old penny, before they reformulated them with more zinc(?), wheat back pennies for sure.

I am thinking of possibly putting stacks on my F-4 if I was ever get it done. If not stacks I think I'd run them out the back. JMO

Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM
bryanswens
Senior User
I think i like the idea of running them straight back and shooting one out each side then i can hear it better too. Ill probably go with dual 24" glass packs so it wont be so loud in the cab there isn't much insulation in there and the wife has to be able to ride along and not get annoyed. I kind of mocked it up a bit but it looks like a really tight fit with the driver side header and the steering box. has anyone else had to deal with this. the headers stick out a bit farther than the original manifold. how could I aviod this clearance issue without putting stock manifolds back on.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
I am running stacks on my F6 I have pics in my gallery if you want to see them. I am running 1 3/4 pipe to 3" about a foot before the back of the cab with no mufflers. sounds good and I should have a video on you tube theis summer when I start hauling hay again. I had dual 1 3/4 turned down just past the running board and I did not like the way it sounded. If you do run them that way I would recommend at least a two foot section of 2.5-3" at the end of the line to deepen the tone. And of course no mufflers. Its about as loud as a small block with glass packs. It would look pretty damn tough with a pair of three inch chrome turndowns poking out the running boards

Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
BTW nice looking truck. I am running stock manifolds so cant help you with the header issue.