Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SES and blinking overdrive "off" light

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SES and blinking overdrive "off" light

Is something bad wrong? It seems to be running ok. Owner's manual says blinking overdrive light means trans failure could occur. I recently installed the DP Tuner, could that have anything to do with it? I don't have the diagnosis equipment, and I don't know of a good shop to take it to, should I take it to a tranny shop? Thanks for any suggestions.

Howard, 99.5 CC Dually, 4x4, DP tuner, 6637,

Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if every thing shifts good ,, runs well and the speedo works..it could be a short under the column..it is common to happen..if you cant pull codes. the only way to find out is take it apart and fallow the wires..
<LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachment --><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD>ShiftLever.pdf (97.8 KB, 190 views)</TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_attachment --></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
Thanks for the reply Ron. I have been working 12 hour night shifts and have not had time to look in the column for a short. I have been driving it though, and have noticed a couple of things. The SES light does not always come on, but usually does; it comes on as soon as the truck is started, but goes off after a few minutes of operating. The overdrive "off" light has not come on the past 5 or 6 starts but when it does is the other way around; it comes on after driving a bit (it seems speed triggered) and continues to flash until shut down.
Do you or anyone reading this know of the symptoms of that common short? It doesn't really seem like a short to me, but it could be. I know nothing.
By the way (kind of) are the destructions you gave me from a service manual on CD? Wher can I order one?
Thanks for the helping the idiot with the idiot lights.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparkplugless
Owner's manual says blinking overdrive light means trans failure could occur.

I recently installed the DP Tuner, could that have anything to do with it?
It could mean anything. Is it a rhythmic blinking or just random blinking? If it is random, I would think that the wire in the shifter is broke. If not, get the codes read.

Don't think so. Might be coincidental but that is doubtful.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Sparkplugless
Tuned
It is a steady blinking. Where can I get codes read besides the dealer? Do most shops have the capability to read codes off of our trucks? Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparkplugless
It is a steady blinking. Where can I get codes read besides the dealer? Do most shops have the capability to read codes off of our trucks? Thanks.
Probably the dealership since most places don't have a code reader that will read it. Either that or you can try throw a VSS at it and see what happens.