1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk When Starting or Stopping - 2008 F-250CCSB4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 PM
CorkyNM
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 F-350 XL is doing it. Has from the day I drove off the car lot. Can't remember if all the trucks I test drove did it. Seems as if it may be normal to me. But I am watching it closely.

One thing I've noticed, if I stop and then take my foot off the brake and let it inch forward then stop again, the next time I hit the gas it doesn't do it. Try that and see if you have the same thing.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 PM
drperformance
Freshman User
Yep, we have the same issue. I believe by inching forward one of the following occurs making the thump not apparent:

1. The rear axle stays loaded taking the slop out of a loose bushing or bad shock
2. You keep the pinion/ring gears tight so the excessive back lash is not felt
3. You keep force on the slip joint not allowing any movement

Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
CorkyNM
Junior User
I just found the following at ODI - Office of Defects Investigation but I am not sure if this is exactly what we are talking about here. Seems likely - what do you think?

<table class="searchBorder" align="CENTER" border="0" width="95%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Make / Models : </td> <td valign="top">Model/Build Years: </td></tr> <tr> <td valign="top"> FORD / F SUPER DUTY </td> <td valign="top"> 2008-2010
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top"> FORD / F-250 SD </td> <td valign="top"> 2008-2010
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top"> FORD / F-350 SD </td> <td valign="top"> 2008-2010
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="nav"> Service Bulletin Number : </td> <td class="navBlue"> TSB-09-20-5 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="nav"> NHTSA Item Number : </td> <td class="navBlue">10032625 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="nav"> Summary Description : </td> <td class="contentText"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="contentText" colspan="2"> FORD: SHUDDER OR VIBRATION ON ACCELERATION, ESPECIALLY WHEN LOADED. SOME SUPER DUTY VEHICLES WITH SINGLE REAR WHEELS (SRW) AND DUAL REAR WHEEL (DRW) MAY EXHIBIT AN EXCESSIVE DRIVE AWAY SHUDDER OR VIBRATION UNDER MODERATE TO HEAVY ACCELERATION FROM A STOP, ESPECIALLY WHEN HEAVILY LOADED. *PE </td></tr></tbody></table>

I have a call in to the service manager where I bought it. I'll post here what the SM says about this TSB.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM
drperformance
Freshman User
Interesting! I will shove this TSB up their AS* on Monday. The tech I took for a drive yesterday told me that a tsb was out for that same thing on their rangers but this issue was never seen on the super duty.

Its like ground hogs day. I traded in my last car (subaru impreza) because they would not address a clearly present issue (1500rpm surge) so I traded it in.

I let the sales and tech bull ***** me then after the fact I tell them my background, I was a tech for 10+ years, I have built multiple drag cars from the ground up and now I have a degree in mechanical engineering. I wonder if they are so ignorant that they do not even feel stupid?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
That TSB is not the same thing...that refers to when you load the truck down and you accerate with a load.

The changing of the driveline angles loaded vs unloaded.

When you have a high TQ engine with a load and you are putting that much TQ to the wheels..that is what is causing that shudder.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I experience the hard accel. shudder every day. It's just a hard pull and the driveline dealing with it in my opinion. There is a LOT of force being placed on the torque converter, understandable in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 PM
VTX1800rider
Senior User
I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the exact same problem but mine has a clunk or more like a soft thump when I stop after forward or reverse. It comes from the middle of the truck. It's also slightly delayed after stopping. I took it over a shop I go to. He jumped in and I went in reversed then stopped. It did it. Also going forward. He said it was the yoke slightly hanging up. He said like others I read here to dropped and grease the spline. He said that he has few come in with that problem. Like I said I'm not sure if it's the same but mine looks like has to do with the spline and lack of grease..........I hope

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
CorkyNM
Junior User
Bloody heck. I tried to show my wife the issue and it didn't do it one time in about 20 miles and 20 stop/starts.
Does it all the time to me, and it is under no load at all. Moderate acceleration is about all I ever do, not hot-rodding it at all.
This is a shudder that happens as soon as I press the accelerator. Definitely never did that in my old Dodge. It isn't a big deal, but it ain't right either.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
bottle98
New User
let big brother know

Just like all of you I have the same issue and told the same by service dept that it was normal. Being fed up I decided to let big brother know and lean a little on there service dept. Go to the hyper link below. Then at the very bottom click on contact us. Then under where it says, "E-mail Us About Vehicles And Service", click on Ford. This will take you to the proper form. I sent mine in, two days later got an e-mail from Ford that they contacted the service manager and that "I needed to take my truck back in to further inspect". I'm sure we all can agree if we complain directly to Ford than our chances are better of getting results. I'm tired of excuses from that service dept. This is the most important tool I own and they need to get r' done.
Ford - Cars, SUVs, Trucks & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles

Old 05-02-2010, 10:43 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My driveshaft spline was binding when I bought the Ex and it clunked when stopping and starting so I guess that is why I got is so cheap. It quit clunking shortly after I bought it.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Wildcat Fan
Junior User
drperformance - any update from the dealer today? We're anxious to hear how you made out (and hopefully they fixed the issue).

Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
drperformance
Freshman User
No fix as of yet. I took their tech for a ride last Friday and I dropped it off today. I am know driving a 2010 F150 STX as a loaner and they are dam lucky that I have no towing or heavy hauling to do this week. I will keep you updated.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
CorkyNM
Junior User
I finally got in touch with the service guy at my dealer. He knows about the TSB and they will re-lubricate the splines I guess. I don't know what else they do but will report here once it's done. I am taking my truck in on 5/10 and will have a loaner vehicle for 48 hours.

I also found out that this dealer shop will perform a DPF Delete and still warranty the truck. They have done many apparently. But I must not modify the intake system with a CAF as the computer evidently cannot handle the change in MAF. Sketchy info but I'm happy about the DPF Delete anyway. Cost unknown at this time but he said I can buy the parts but they have to do the install. 4.5" turbo back and they set the computer up.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by CorkyNM
I finally got in touch with the service guy at my dealer. He knows about the TSB and they will disassemble, clean, and re-lubricate the splines of the main and front drive shafts. I am taking my truck in on 5/10 and will have a loaner vehicle for 48 hours.

I also found out that this dealer shop will perform a DPF Delete and still warranty the truck. They have done many apparently. But I must not modify the intake system with a CAF as the computer evidently cannot handle the change in MAF. Sketchy info but I'm happy about the DPF Delete anyway. Cost unknown at this time but he said I can buy the parts but they have to do the install. 4.5" turbo back and they set the computer up.
Not all intakes will cause a code. I have been running my banks now for will over 15K and no codes BTW.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
drperformance
Freshman User
Update: I dropped my truck off Monday night and they have had it for 2.5 days now. Well it apears that after contacting Ford and speaking with their engineers they decided to take the slip joint apart remove a grease and repack it. They updated me with this yesterday afternoon and told me they would contact me when it was complete.

I am now thinking that this did not fix the proble and they are at a loss because I have yet to here from them since.

Correct me if I am wrong but the slip joint clunk would feel more like it is coming from the mid part of the truck not the rear.

Quick Reply: Clunk When Starting or Stopping - 2008 F-250CCSB4x4