Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Competition for the the V10

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Competition for the the V10

For sometime now ford has really had the only serious heavy hauler gas engine, dodge dropped there V10 in 03 or so and as did GM with the 8.1L. Well according to this article it looks like dodge is gonna get back in the game.

Sources Say 6.4-Liter V-8 Coming For Heavy Duty Dodge Ram - PickupTrucks.com News

Game on Ford, don't let this market slip away!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If Dodge is around long enough. 450hp-500hp is a lot and if the torque is there it will be a good motor for towing. IMO though the HP and TQ numbers are starting to get out of hand for a light duty truck compared to medium duty and heavy duty trucks. Wonder what all that power will do to mpg while towing and if the motor will run on 87.

Chevy/GMC has pretty good performance out of their current small block/AOD combination. If they stay alive I'm shure they will jump on the power bandwagon as they always try to out HP everyone.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:21 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That would be fine if each of the manufacturers were to bring big power to the table with gas engines for the heavy duties, the consumer becomes the winner in this deal! We have more choices and competition from the other two would only make our faviorite brand pay attention and at the very leat improve enough to keep up.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Offering and selling are two different things. There's a reason why Dodge's V10 and GM's 8.1L are no longer "on the table".

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Offering and selling are two different things. There's a reason why Dodge's V10 and GM's 8.1L are no longer "on the table".
A very good point. I'm shure they could sell a lot more big engine gassers if they actually had them on the lot and advertised them a little. People have the mentality that the gas mileage is absolutely horrible and don't even consider them.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW!!I was going to make a smart comment about Dodge now looking to become part Fiat produced. Of course back in the days of Fiat being sold in the US it was said that FIAT stood for "Fix It Again Tony"
However I did a quick search of everything Fiat owns, and well it could be an interesting future if managed smart.
Heads up Ford, it could be a whole new game.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 AM
bowtied_micky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford - pretty please with sugar on top buy Jeep. I love you both and think it would be a match made in heaven.

sincerely
micky

Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bowtied_micky
Ford - pretty please with sugar on top buy Jeep. I love you both and think it would be a match made in heaven.

sincerely
micky
You know, that was one of my first thoughts.......If Ford would/could purchase the Jeep brand, what a future it could hold. I am a true Ford man, however my second vehicle infatuation has been with the Jeep. There is something about that little CJ-5, CJ-7, Wrangler, with it's rough ride, poor mileage, go anywhere ability, that keeps finding it's way into my garage from time to time. That is up until the price has crept up so high that it no longer makes any sense to pay so much for so little in return for real life applications.
Now if Ford could take Jeep and infuse it with Ford tech, and get the price with in reason, add some dependability to the package...SWEET!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 AM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
Everybody will be competition for Ford. My understanding is beginning with the MY 2011,Ford will have only one gas offering in the Super Duty Series. The 6.2L Boss.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Fiat is actually only interested in purchasing 20% or 30% of Chrysler/GM. I suspect Fiat is probably more interested in Dodges dealerships here in the US more than anything. Since fuel prices shot up and will evetually go up the demand for fuel effcient vehicles will increase. Purchasing interest in a sort of american company with lots of dealerships will help them get into the US market.

If I was Ford no way I'd touch Jeep. Ford can easily make a vehicle like the Wrangler but they choose to only come out with FWD unibody crap. I wouldn't mind having a Wrangler but the price they want for a crude so so vehicle shys me away.

The manufacturers and dealers got a taste of making more money on the diesels so that will be hard to break for a while. They will drag it out as long as they can. With the shape GM and Chrysler/Dodge are in I honestly don't know why anyone would even consider buying a vehicle from them.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Stumpalump
Senior User
I bet we all start calling Dodge trucks Fiats. In Italy ( the worst cesspool of a place I have ever been) the locals call the small Smart cars Dodges because of their Daimler Chryisler origin.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
bowtied_micky
Senior User
heres a thought... continuing with my jeep dream

since ford owns rover, they could base the next models off the same platform. Say a jeep wrangler/LR discovery on the same frame and suspension but keep the bodies totally different. The do the Grand Cherokee/Range Rover on a platform and lastly a Liberty (whatever)/explorer platform.

this way the suspensions and electrical are the same the only thing different is the body which 95% of consumers will never know the difference.

micky

Old 05-14-2009, 12:39 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Ford is trying to unload Rover, if they didn't already.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
If Dodge is around long enough. 450hp-500hp is a lot and if the torque is there it will be a good motor for towing. IMO though the HP and TQ numbers are starting to get out of hand for a light duty truck compared to medium duty and heavy duty trucks. Wonder what all that power will do to mpg while towing and if the motor will run on 87.
Chevy/GMC has pretty good performance out of their current small block/AOD combination. If they stay alive I'm shure they will jump on the power bandwagon as they always try to out HP everyone.
The new Dmax has more power than the 6.4 and cummins.
And we'll see what happens to there vehicles after the government gets through with they, I grantee they will all look like that new Toyota smart car and have more than one battery

Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bowtied_micky
heres a thought... continuing with my jeep dream

since ford owns rover, they could base the next models off the same platform. Say a jeep wrangler/LR discovery on the same frame and suspension but keep the bodies totally different. The do the Grand Cherokee/Range Rover on a platform and lastly a Liberty (whatever)/explorer platform.

this way the suspensions and electrical are the same the only thing different is the body which 95% of consumers will never know the difference.

micky
Ford flushed Land Rover and Jaguar down the Tata toilet about a year and a half ago. They sold Aston Martin a couple of years ago too. They also sold Mazda $550 million +/- of their shares back.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125335

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/03/12...r-925-million/

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=29437

Quick Reply: Competition for the the V10