1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Anyone removed a body from a 4th gen?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
davelength
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone removed a body from a 4th gen?

I have a 1994 E150 which is in nice condition, though it is approaching 250k. I also have a 1993 E350 Quigley 4x4 which the body and interior are shot, but is otherwise complete. My thought is to remove the body from the 4x4, clean up the chassis and then install the body from my 2wd. I can't imagine it is all that difficult, though I thought I would see if anyone has done this before.

Thanks!
Dave

Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM
MuddyAxles II
Junior User
Just reading your title...

Made me think of my days on the rescue squad...but I can't joke about that.

Although I have never done what you propose, I'm sure with enough perspiration and persistence you can get it done. Was in at a Ford garage and they had the entire cab lifted from a P/U. Dunno what for.

You prolly wouldn't even consider doing this if you never did anything like it before. Just go slow and have lots of support/lift. You'll be fine.

Of course you'll be separating the junkier body from the frame first, so you'll learn from that. Probably shouly consider a rust preventative product while frame is exposed.

Post pictures as you go, that'll get people involved.

The other way of looking at this would be to make the 150 into a 350 and transfer the drivetrain and suspension. Someone said in another thread that they thought the frames were not that different between E-150's and E-350's. Heck, with all the spare frame and crossmember parts, you could beef it any way you want. Ever see the 6x6 vans on that photo site? I'm just thinkin'.......

Seems quite quiet on some threads these days...I thought people would jump on this thread.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 AM
bubbasinafordf150
Senior User
right on like the ideal of keeping the quigley 4x4 ideal. if they both have the same motors, transmission the swap wont be that hard. if they are both complete not missing anything then you shouldnt have a problem just take your time and do it right. it cant be much harder than a truck except heavier. remember take your time.

you may have to change the steering colum.

if the body bushings are still god on the 4wheel drive van make sure that you reuse them there maybe a slight height difference. if the body mounts are the same the go for it.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 AM
MuddyAxles II
Junior User
You'd have a "RARE" E-150 Quigley!

My Dad has a 2006 and I have looked it over some. One thing you might want to look at is the parts list Quigley sent originally. If you don't have it, I'm sure research can turn up a copy.

Then you'll know what's been used that isn't factory Ford. Quigley uses Ford parts, except for the few they fabricate for the conversion.

Like the gas tank...Dad just had his off. Only difference is they chopped the end and put a different end is to make room for the transfer case.

I don't think you will see any problem with the steering column, but you will see that they modified the main crossmember in the area of the front differential. You'll need a decent cutting torch.

Height differences seem to be accounted fopr in the coil springs/pockets/etc. front and about 3 1/2" lift blocks rear.

Seroiusly, I would get them side-by-side, measure everything that makes sense, compare measurements, and decide if it wouldn't make more sense to move the drive train over to the 150.

If the frames are the same as someone said, all you'll have to do is cut the cross-member, mount the front torque tubes, mount the other gas tank, and swap the running gear.

There'll be a bit of cutting and welding. Since you own a Quigley, there should be no problem getting parts from them if necessary.

The rest will be penetrating oil and wrenching. I'm excited for ya.

Good luck and SHOW US YOUR PROGRESS!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM
davelength
Senior User
Cool, thanks guys. I have done plenty of mechanical work, but I have never taken a body from the frame before. I had originally considered just swapping the drivetrain over, but Quigley made quite a few modifications to the frame. Since the same modifications would need to be done to the new frame, it seems like it will be much easier to just swap bodies. As far as I can tell, there are no differences in the body between the 150/250/350.

There does not seem to be much holding the body to the frame, maybe about 8 large bolts/mounts. Then there is just the steering column, throttle/brake controls, wiring harness, things like that. I also imagine that the body is light enough for maybe 4 to 6 guys to lift and move once everything is disconnected and the doors and interior are removed.

I do not have any original parts diagrams or anything like that from Quigley, though I need to call them to see what is available. Both vans have the 351 with the 2wd version of the e40d transmission, which should help keep things simple.

My plan is to remove the body from the 4wd, roll the chassis into the garage and then spend some time cleaning it up and making any necessary repairs. Yes, I may also apply some type of undercoating to the frame while it is all exposed.

I am hoping to get started as early as next weekend, and I'll definitely be taking plenty of pictures and updating with any progress.

Thanks!
Dave

Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM
davelength
Senior User
and so it begins...

I stripped off most of the body parts that were bolted on, as well as the interior. I have 9 of the 10 body-to-frame mounts removed, though tomorrow I will drop the fuel tank and get the remaining one out. My current plan is to remove the windshield and cut the body at the base of the A-pillar, as well as the narrow area along the driver's and passenger's footwell. That way, I can remove most of the body, with the exception of the area over and around the engine. I want to get the chassis onto the garage where I will have shade and shelter, but I want to take my time figuring out how best to separate the wiring, engine accessories and other things that are currently attached to the engine compartment.

Here is the Quigley as I begin the project:

Here is my current van, which will be donating the body:

The Quigley after day 1:

Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 PM
davelength
Senior User
Ok, fuel tank is out and so is the last frame bolt. I also pulled the dash, which was much easier than I would have expected.

Next on the list is to pull the windshield, then it is time to start cutting.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

What are you doing with the old body? It looks a looks a lot nicer than the one on my 95. Same color too!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
davelength
Senior User
Originally Posted by Boss_358
What are you doing with the old body? It looks a looks a lot nicer than the one on my 95. Same color too!
You are about to see, though it will not be pretty

Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM
davelength
Senior User
Time for a workout! My friend came by to help, bringing his trailer and a few extra powertools.

That was quite a job, taking two of us about four hours to reduce the body to scrap. Amazingly, this is the entire pile of scrap from today (doors and interior were already hauled away).

The next challenge will be getting the chassis into the garage. As you can see, my driveway has a wicked slope which is going to make it interesting. My thought is to get a tow dolly and place the front of the van on it. Then using the front hitch mount on my friend's 4wd suburban, we should be able to bring it out just enough to steer it into the garage.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Hotairjunkie
Senior User
HEY! This looks very similar to what I'm doing right now. I'm taking a '97 15 passenger body and putting it on a '99 Quigley chassis from an extended cargo van. Did you ever finish this project?? Your thread left me hanging! If you are still on FTE, please update us with your progress on this project. If you want to see what I'm up to, check it out here;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...on-a-99-a.html

I am trying to find info on aftermarket replacement body mount bushings. Did you replace yours or did you just reuse the old ones?

Cheers,

Bruce

Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 PM
davelength
Senior User
Hey Bruce, that looks like a fun project you have there. Definitely brings back memories! I did finish mine, though I don't know why this page was never updated. I feel like I was on this forum through the entire project, asking tons of questions.

I just re-used the body mounts and hardware, as I had plenty that were in good condition. I came up with a similar setup to lift the body off the chassis, since I was working with limited space. It looked really sketchy, but worked out just fine. Here are a few pictures from the rest of the project, I can look for the rest.

The stripped chassis in the garage:

The chassis complete with the rebuilt 351 (cam, mild head work, long tube headers, and 3" exhaust).

The body on the Quigley chassis

The completed van

Good luck with the project and just let me know if I can answer any specific questions.
Dave