Modular V10 (6.8l)  

dare to be different...V10 on a dragster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:42 PM
mavman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dare to be different...V10 on a dragster?

Ok here's the deal....

I picked up a dragster a while back. I don't want to have the "normal" dragster, you know, big block chevy, powerglide, yaddya yaddya. I want a Ford V10.

Basically I know I need to upgrade rods and pistons. I have that covered. Let's take budget out of the question, for the most part. I can TIG up parts if I need to. Has anyone ever seen a sheet metal intake on a 6.8? This thing doesn't have to make any more than about 500 HP....it's my first rail (but I have door cars) and I want it to be different. I will make headers. That is no problem. Doesnt' have to turn a million RPM either. What I want is alcohol injection (no EFI or carb) for it's simplicity. What about ignition? Is there anything simple that can be done for ignition control? The rest, I think I have covered.

Oh, another question. Would it be possible to use 3V heads on an older 2V short block? Would they be any better or easier to work with?

Trying to keep it as simple as possible...if that's even possible with a Modular

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
save this to your favorites, and have fun man, keep us posted!!

Ford 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L Modular Performance Parts

Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
Sounds like something I would LOVE to do. I've been catchin' trash for wanting to get an old muscle car or a hot rod to put a V10 in.

Will definitely be following this thread. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN WITH IT!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the classifieds here, there was a hotrodded V10 for sale pretty recently.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
WOW that sounds like a cool project!

The usually problem with the 3V heads on the 2V short block is intake and PCM/wiring.

What are you thinking/planning on doing about the intake? I haven't heard of or seen a metal intake. You would probably have to make a one off if you went that route. In fact in one of the other threads recentlly there was some talk about the plastic 3V intake and what it can take. There was even some general talk about fabbing a metal intake that would hold up to a turbo.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...m-upgrade.html

PCM/wiring shouldn't be a problem in your case but I really don't have any idea about ignition control. Someone smarter than me (not hard to do) will surely have some ideas.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
dew the thunder
Elder User
I have not personally seen a sheet metal intake but judging from the thread that Monster-4 posted, its been done. You'll get this thing goin' and you'll love it. I know I would.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am 99% positive the 3V heads will bolt onto the 2V block. I did the opposite with NO problems whatsoever. The only difference I found between the blocks is that the 3V block had two more knock sensor bosses added. The 2V uses a single sensor in the middle of the "valley", the 3V uses one sensor on each bank.
Pistons were slightly different as well.
Other than that, everything I checked and measured was identical.

If you look at the heads side by side, you will see immediately that you want the 3V for your application! It is a true cross flow head with the shorter ports and much better flow paths that come with that. The 2V uses the archaic side by side style valves.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Spike Engineering
Senior User
Originally Posted by mavman
Ok here's the deal....

I picked up a dragster a while back. I don't want to have the "normal" dragster, you know, big block chevy, powerglide, yaddya yaddya. I want a Ford V10.

Basically I know I need to upgrade rods and pistons. I have that covered. Let's take budget out of the question, for the most part. I can TIG up parts if I need to. Has anyone ever seen a sheet metal intake on a 6.8? ...
I would have posted sooner but whenever I log in, I get nothing but errors or blank pages. As a result, it's next to impossible for me to post replies. But, this sounds like a cool project and I'll just deal with the typical problems until I'm finally able to make this post... (seven attempts and nothing but errors, etc. so far)

Try this guy for a sheet metal intake:

John Marcella
Marcella Manifolds
ph.248-259-6696

Here's a link to some of his work:
Yellow Bullet Forums - View Single Post - need sheetmetal intake for 481x

Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
mavman
Senior User
Yes I will agree, it is nearly impossible to post a reply. For that matter, everything I try to view on this site is SLOOOOOW.

Anyway...

Yes the sheet metal is the route I want to take. It will be an alky-injected engine (mechanical injection) for sure and building the intake will be fairly easy. I've made them before, both steel and aluminum. Not for a V10 though. I have made them for V-4's, 6's and V8's of course...and made a couple for friends, both of those were for V twin (Kawasaki 620cc) Mule engines.

My biggest concern is camshafts...I "think" we found someone who will make us cams. Not too much aftermarket stuff for the 6.8 modulars, unless it is simple "bolt on stuff" like exhausts, tuners, etc. And heads. Haven't really decided whether to use the 2V heads or spend a little cash on a set of 3V heads, specifically, is it worth spending $750-$1000 for the 3V heads? Will they support theoretically 500-600 HP? Headers are no problem, neither are pistons and rods. The crank will be the stocker...no telling how long it will last but it's worth a try. Ignition will be a bit of a booger too. We are trying to keep this thing as simple as possible (hence using methanol injection as opposed to a carburetor or EFI). Noone that I know of has any sort of ignition control that is somewhat "simple". I'd be tickled if I could just "lock" it out at a particular setting, say, 22-25 deg or whatever. most everything else we can handle, oil pans, etc. Planning on about 12.5 compression with a set of custom Wiseco's or JE's, good rods (stockers are supposedly junk for a performance application, just like on the 5.4 Lightning engines) and a cam to match.

If anyone has any suggestions on ignition controls, I am all ears, so to speak.