Sponsored by: Moser

Why so much bashing of the 09

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why so much bashing of the 09

I have noticed that a lot of Non 09 F150 owners seem to be giving a lot of advice about the 09 when none of you own it and some of this information is incorrect. Why don't you stop making up stuff about things you clearly know nothing about? This is the only Ford forum i go on when all you see is bashing of the 09. Until you own the truck give it a rest. The 09 is nothing like the last gen and some of the last gen owners seem to have issues with the 09.
Go drive one and spend some time in one before you flood the forum with untrue statements. Nothing like getting 2nd and 3rd hand experience. I don't want to hear my mates, brother's, dad has a sister who is married to a guy who has a 09 F150 and his truck does so and so. Us current 09 owners are extremely pleased with our trucks and hearing other Ford owners bash it down makes me mad. As an example we dont all need 500hp to move our 8k lb's trailer around the mountains so stop saying the 5.4 is no good.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Who's spreading untrue info? And you can't assume that those that don't own them haven't driven them....many of us have

Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Who's spreading untrue info? And you can't assume that those that don't own them haven't driven them....many of us have
Just spend some time reading the thread you edited, and you will find some.

Also, just because somebody has done a test drive doesn't mean they are the authority on what kind of fuel mileage the truck gets and how much weight that truck is capable of towing.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Its frustrating, kinda like the guy making comparisons about other brands to ford, when they have never driven the other brands!

I know this is a ford truck forum, but competition between brands is hot as hell right now, and people need to be aware of the strengths and the weakness's of their new truck, no matter what the brand.

Some of the "bashing" is simply constructive criticism. Some(not all, but some) of the best opinions on the truck are from those who dont own one also, they dont feel they have to justify anything because the purchased the truck!

I personally think the new f150's rock! Do I think they have the best of everything, nope, but they sure are the best overall package (IMO)

Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
Just spend some time reading the thread you edited, and you will find some.

Also, just because somebody has done a test drive doesn't mean they are the authority on what kind of fuel mileage the truck gets and how much weight that truck is capable of towing.
Irronically some of the stuffs been posted by those that actually do own them....

and i don't know that its bashing when they say its got less hp than X brand or gets worse fuel economy than Y brand.......As for the subjective parts....if they don't like the looks or the color or the types of tires on the trucks.....its an opinion....

I've stated numerous times that i think the front ends are ugly....but i've also said they're amazing trucks....well built, capable and tough...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
Apparently real word tests prove the MPG isn't all that great in the new F150 unless they use the 3.15-1 gearing.
Not true.

I think they are pretty right on with their MPG ratings in the test.
Not true.

Why would you want the least power when it has no advantages in MPG.
Not true.

At least they use the 5.7 with the 4.30 gears to get their true MPG unlike Ford cheating with the regular cab and 3.15-1 gears. Let's compare apples to apples.
Not true.

It wont even be close to the gutless 5.4 and that's barely getting 13-17 itself.
Not true.

The engine just isn't capable IMHO. The Tow rating is a joke. There is no way that truck can pull 70% of what it's rated to do on anything but flat ground.
Not true.

And as far as anyone can tell, this individual does not own one:
I have no experience with the new 09.
I think I've made my point.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Rather than just not true...

How are his 1, 3rd, 4th posts untrue?

And....the second to last one he admits its his opinion.....

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000
I have noticed that a lot of Non 09 F150 owners seem to be giving a lot of advice about the 09 when none of you own it and some of this information is incorrect. Why don't you stop making up stuff about things you clearly know nothing about? As an example we dont all need 500hp to move our 8k lb's trailer around the mountains so stop saying the 5.4 is no good.
i may be one that youre talking about here..... my biggest complaint about the new f150 is that it only comes in an automatic and i hate automatics. i dont need to own an 09 to come up with that judgement. i dont care how many gears it has, how much better it shifts, how much more durable it is, etc. its still an automatic and ford has guaranteed that ill never buy one by taking the manual out of it.

my arguments against the 5.4 are from first hand towing experience. its not an 09, but theres really not that big of a difference between my 2000 and the 09. 40 extra horsepower and 15 lbs of torque are not going to make me change my mind from thinking its a dog to thinking its a powerhouse. mine struggles with less than 5k lbs on moderate hills, but im off base for telling someone i think the 09 will be a dog with 8k lbs? is the 40 extra hp going to help it that much?? if youre previous truck was a 4.9 inline 6 then youre going to think the 5.4 is a towing god. if youre other truck is a 7.3, youre going to be cussing the 5.4 every time youre in 3rd gear turning 4k just to make it up a hill.

along those same lines though, go look at how many 5.4 and v10 guys bash the diesel when its obvious by their comments that they have never even ridden in one, much less owned one. like the guy that tried to tell me that the 5.4 will out pull a 7.3 because it has more horsepower. i own one of each and that is one of the most laughable comparison i could think of. so its not like the 09 f150 is the only truck people are making comments about without ever owning one.

kind of off topic from your post, but since we are b*tching about what bothers us on here, this one bothers me lol. lots of times too, people will find a major fault with their truck and then try to justify why its actually an advantage. like the 6.4 guys and how the cab has to be removed to do minor work. they say they prefer that it be like that because it keeps mechanics from getting their fenders dirty when they work on it. really? come back and tell me that when youre warranty runs out and you have to do the work yourself. how quickly would those same guys critisize the dodge if its cab had to be removed and the fords didnt? or the 5.4 guys that say they like that their engine has to turn 4k rpm to make decent power. because its an OHC and "thats what its designed to do."

im still trying to figure out the "thats what its designed to do" part though, because that comes up a lot in the 5.0 vs 5.4 talks. my 5.0 handles 4-5k rpm just as good as my 5.4, has 210k miles on it and still runs like a new one. both have two bolt mains. push rods are good to any rpm you can turn an engine. stock rocker arms are good well beyond the redline of either engine. hydraulic lifters start to float about 6500 rpm and both the 5.4 and 5.0 have them. it doesnt matter if the cam is overhead or in block, they are both going to experience valve float at the same rpm. so im not seeing any advantage the 5.4 has that would make it better or more durable than a 5.0 when turning them both 4k rpm.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
heathk2003
Senior User
We are all looking for that perfect truck and each one of them has its achilles heal. Ford is king when it comes to different cab/ bed/ option configurations. There is no one perfect truck because we all have different needs and tastes, but ford has the chance to get closer than any other manufacturer to make as many perfect configurations as possible for as many people as possible. The only real thing missing is that extra engine option.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
I've stated numerous times that i think the front ends are ugly.......
i agree with you 100% on this one. i think they are the fugliest truck ford has put out in about 40 years. it has nothing to do with the quality of the truck, just my personal opinion on looks. the last f150 that i liked the looks of was the 96 model.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Rather than just not true...

How are his 1, 3rd, 4th posts untrue?

And....the second to last one he admits its his opinion.....
Ok 1st post:
Apparently real word tests prove the MPG isn't all that great in the new F150 unless they use the 3.15-1 gearing.
I have 3.55 gears, and I get much better fuel mileage than they did in the test. Many guys on here have had results like mine (or better), and some guys with 3.73's seem to be doing just as well. So the first post is not true.

3rd post:
Why would you want the least power when it has no advantages in MPG.
Sure the Ford has the least power, but if you go by EPA ratings, it does get better MPG's than the other brands with the premium engines. The one hiccup here is that the GM 6.2 is rated for 13/19 as opposed to the Ford's 14/18, but read on.

Also, if you look at the results from pretty much every other comparitive test done (besides Edmunds) you will find that the '09 Ford usually got the best fuel economy, and the GM 6.2 almost always gets the worst. Therefore, the third post is not true.

4th post:
At least they use the 5.7 with the 4.30 gears to get their true MPG unlike Ford cheating with the regular cab and 3.15-1 gears. Let's compare apples to apples.
It even says in the Edmund's test that Ford uses 3.55 gears for the EPA testing - not 3.15's as he kept insisting. Also, it is my understanding that ford used a SCrew 5.5' for the fuel economy runs (partly because it is the most areodynamic configuration). I may be wrong on the second point, but they did use 3.55 gears. Also, talk to anyone that owns an '09 and most will agree that the EPA ratings are pretty accurate. Therefore, the fourth post is not true.

Second to last post:
The engine just isn't capable IMHO. The Tow rating is a joke. There is no way that truck can pull 70% of what it's rated to do on anything but flat ground.
He says that the "engine just isn't capable" is his opinion. Fine.
However, he states that "There is no way that truck can pull 70% of what it's rated to do on anything but flat ground" as if it is fact. 70% of 11,200 is 7,840lbs (.7x11,200=7,840). I towed over 8,000 lbs with my old '01 F-150 without any problems (I know it was overloaded- shame on me). If it could handle that weight just fine, then there is no doubt that the '09 can as well. Therefore, his second to last post is not true.

There, I have explained myself quite thoroughly.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by phillips91
i may be one that youre talking about here..... my biggest complaint about the new f150 is that it only comes in an automatic and i hate automatics. i dont need to own an 09 to come up with that judgement. i dont care how many gears it has, how much better it shifts, how much more durable it is, etc. its still an automatic and ford has guaranteed that ill never buy one by taking the manual out of it.

my arguments against the 5.4 are from first hand towing experience. its not an 09, but theres really not that big of a difference between my 2000 and the 09. 40 extra horsepower and 15 lbs of torque are not going to make me change my mind from thinking its a dog to thinking its a powerhouse. mine struggles with less than 5k lbs on moderate hills, but im off base for telling someone i think the 09 will be a dog with 8k lbs? is the 40 extra hp going to help it that much?? if youre previous truck was a 4.9 inline 6 then youre going to think the 5.4 is a towing god. if youre other truck is a 7.3, youre going to be cussing the 5.4 every time youre in 3rd gear turning 4k just to make it up a hill.

along those same lines though, go look at how many 5.4 and v10 guys bash the diesel when its obvious by their comments that they have never even ridden in one, much less owned one. like the guy that tried to tell me that the 5.4 will out pull a 7.3 because it has more horsepower. i own one of each and that is one of the most laughable comparison i could think of. so its not like the 09 f150 is the only truck people are making comments about without ever owning one.

kind of off topic from your post, but since we are b*tching about what bothers us on here, this one bothers me lol. lots of times too, people will find a major fault with their truck and then try to justify why its actually an advantage. like the 6.4 guys and how the cab has to be removed to do minor work. they say they prefer that it be like that because it keeps mechanics from getting their fenders dirty when they work on it. really? come back and tell me that when youre warranty runs out and you have to do the work yourself. how quickly would those same guys critisize the dodge if its cab had to be removed and the fords didnt? or the 5.4 guys that say they like that their engine has to turn 4k rpm to make decent power. because its an OHC and "thats what its designed to do."

im still trying to figure out the "thats what its designed to do" part though, because that comes up a lot in the 5.0 vs 5.4 talks. my 5.0 handles 4-5k rpm just as good as my 5.4, has 210k miles on it and still runs like a new one. both have two bolt mains. push rods are good to any rpm you can turn an engine. stock rocker arms are good well beyond the redline of either engine. hydraulic lifters start to float about 6500 rpm and both the 5.4 and 5.0 have them. it doesnt matter if the cam is overhead or in block, they are both going to experience valve float at the same rpm. so im not seeing any advantage the 5.4 has that would make it better or more durable than a 5.0 when turning them both 4k rpm.

Now i'll take a stab at this one....the manual part....no one offers them anymore...so you won't be buying any new trucks if thats the problem...

The 2000 and 2009 are incredably different trucks....not even close

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Ok 1st post:

I have 3.55 gears, and I get much better fuel mileage than they did in the test. Many guys on here have had results like mine (or better), and some guys with 3.73's seem to be doing just as well. So the first post is not true.

3rd post:

Sure the Ford has the least power, but if you go by EPA ratings, it does get better MPG's than the other brands with the premium engines. The one hiccup here is that the GM 6.2 is rated for 13/19 as opposed to the Ford's 14/18, but read on.

Also, if you look at the results from pretty much every other comparitive test done (besides Edmunds) you will find that the '09 Ford usually got the best fuel economy, and the GM 6.2 almost always gets the worst. Therefore, the third post is not true.

4th post:

It even says in the Edmund's test that Ford uses 3.55 gears for the EPA testing - not 3.15's as he kept insisting. Also, it is my understanding that ford used a SCrew 5.5' for the fuel economy runs (partly because it is the most areodynamic configuration). I may be wrong on the second point, but they did use 3.55 gears. Also, talk to anyone that owns an '09 and most will agree that the EPA ratings are pretty accurate. Therefore, the fourth post is not true.

Second to last post:

However, he states that "There is no way that truck can pull 70% of what it's rated to do on anything but flat ground" as if it is fact. 70% of 11,200 is 7,840lbs (.7x11,200=7,840). I towed over 8,000 lbs with my old '01 F-150 without any problems (I know it was overloaded- shame on me). If it could handle that weight just fine, then there is no doubt that the '09 can as well. Therefore, his second to last post is not true.

There, I have explained myself quite thoroughly.

Ford doesn't have the most hp or best fuel economy.....thats just plain facts....is it adaqute for this truck...i think so....but if your going by numbers...gm, dodge, and toyota all out do ford there....

Yes...the mileage test was junk .... but the point remains that fords miles ahead on the trucks....just a bit behind on engines.....can you fathom a 6.2 hooked to the 6 speed......weeeeeee

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM
cpdorroh
Elder User
The 2000 and 2009 are incredably different trucks....not even close
^^^^ 2nd that. I had an '01 F-150, and my '09 is a totally different animal in just about every perceivable way. Not to mention comparing a 2000 SD to the F-150. The SD's a heavier truck, and the 2000 has a 4 speed. The power differences may not sound that big on paper, but I bet the torque curve on the 3V is broader than the 2V was, especially with the VCT.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
this is all relative though. some people consider an engine "capable" if it will tow a weight without breaking down on the spot. even if they are in 2nd gear doing 25-35 mph up a hill. others dont consider it capable unless it can maintain the speed limit up any hill with any weight. all i know is i wouldnt even think about hooking 8k to my 5.4 if i was going anywhere that has decent sized hills. been there, done that, and it did not like it at all. oh, it didnt even know the trailer was hooked to it on flat ground, but it was 3rd gear and wide open on anything even resembling a hill.

Quick Reply: Why so much bashing of the 09