The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

whats your worst offroading damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:44 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats your worst offroading damage?

was looking alittle abandoned around here so hopefully this'l change that.

since i know that the younger generation tends to be harder on our vehicles, and, especially when offroading, i ask you, whats the worst damage to you or your truck youve sustained while offroading?

my truck burnt up the front axle bearings a few years ago but that was before i owned it. no damage since its been mine.

my friends Yota has had battery tray demolished, and has blown a tire

and ive rolled a suburban while mudding

other than that, the group that i wheel with has been largely undamaged.
how bout yours?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 PM
zpmps2
Senior User
Me and a friend blew both of his axles on the way home from getting unstuck in his 78 F-250, we actually broke the spider gears and it blew the rear one so we stuck it in 4 wheel dr. and bout a 1/2 mile we blew the front, PRICELESS!!

Taylor

Old 08-19-2007, 01:56 AM
aaronlockhart
Senior User
Gone muddin a few times, sure is fun... Luckily I've never broken an axle or anything like that, but so far I've broken the bracket that holds the coolant tray, and the hanger for the exhaust...

I've fixed them both very white trash esq lol, used chain link fencing wire as a replacement for the exhaust hanger, and a bungee cord to hold the coolant resovour...

Ok, maybe now on second thought... lol

Was going to see a friend who lived in very rural Iowa, and got lost somewhere... I was at the top of a steep hill, and shifted into reverse, but I didn't have my foot on the brake, and the truck rolled forward... Since then whenever I'm in reverse the truck makes a momentary ratcheting sound... Probably screwed something expensive up there, but don't have the money to get it looked at... For now it runs fine...

Old 08-19-2007, 03:32 AM
Foxxx
Senior User
i was wheelin in a purpose built CJ-7 that we had just put back together and was following a friend of mine on some trails, we were goin up a pretty steep hill when i realized that i shouldnt have been in third...the next few seconds seemed like forever, as soon as i hit first, i hit a rock and my foot slipped off the clutch, and caused the CJ to lurch REALLY hard and brought the front end up, next thing i know im on the worst rollercoaster ever...i went end over end twice before ending up upside down against a tree at the bottom. it took about 15 minutes to winch it back over because of the slope on the hill...lol and took about 4 hours to hammer everything straight (read driveable) on the body

Old 08-26-2007, 05:08 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've rolled my 88 150 2 times onto its side. Had a time where it slid down an embankment into a creek and managed to crumple some of the frame horns. fixed that by hooking to a tree with a chain and slamming it in reverse. Dropped off of a ledge and punched a hole in the rear gas tank. Ripped both mirrors off on trees. Ripped the orginal exhaust from teh cat back off on a tree stump.
On the Bronco, I backed off of a rock ledge and mangled the front stock bumper pretty bad. Got stuck REALLY bad and had to use a cat bull dozer to pull it out and bent my hitch up and twisted the frame. Sunk it in clay and the header collecter was resting on the ground. The header was holding so much weight that it cracked the back exhaust port of the drivers side head.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
I don't really off road truck too much because I have an ATV, but I had a stock '95 Ranger 2WD that I used to bang around in. I knocked off the mirrors and hit a rut so hard the battery fell into the engine bay destroying both battery cable. I took it off an ATV jump at about 35 MPH. Needless to say I nose dived it. Broke the front bumper, blew out both front tires, and some undercarriage stuff. It really wasn't as bad as I thought. A weekend of work and it was as good as new. I sold it for $1500 the next week.

Last edited by cdrmotorsports; 08-26-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My worse damage was to my 82 F100, it was about 5 years right after I bought the truck at age 16.

I ramped a set of railroad tracks about a mile away from my buddies house. Theres a divided highway that runs next to the tracks, there is a gravel road that crosses the highway and then crosses the tracks. The gravel road rises about 4 feet were it crosses over the tracks, this little hill makes the perfect ramp.

To do this jump I had to friends with flash lights standing along the highway, i had another buddy sitting in his truck at the end of the gravel road. When everything was clear on the highway they flashed their lights at my buddy in his truck, he yelled "GO!" over the CB and I floored it. I flew down the gravel road, blew the stop sign and dipped across the highway, I hit the ramp going about 65 mph. They said I got about 6 feet of air, the truck slammed down flat on the gravel road, the passenger side was sitting real low and I could hear the tire rubbing, I came to stop and got out to see the damage.

I destroyed the passenger side leaf spring, the main leaf was still there but the others had shattered and were throw all over the road. One Ubolt was gone the other was bent to hell. The shock mounts were fine but the bottom of the shock was gone, it blew out. I hobbled the truck back to my buddies house, the rear tires were off track so bad that the truck was going sideways down the road. The passenger side was sitting about 6 inches lower, and the tire was rubbing on the front of the wheel well.

I got the truck to my buddies house, called my dad and he came over he laughed like hell, and the next day I got a set of junkyard leaf springs for a early birthday present. I ended up sitting the rear of the frame on jack stands, dropped the rear end down and put the new leafs in place. The spring and shock mounts survived in one piece. I didn't get the rear end centered perfect, but its close enough.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 AM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheelin through a cornfield in the middle of the night..... musta took out a fence, i didn't have any tires left and all my rims were bent when i came out.
by the time i noticted it was too late... i came through a ditch over the curb and my whole frame was sitting on the ground when i dropped off the curb.

not only did i have to buy new tires and rims.... i had to pay $1000 to the apartment complex i came up into for sod repairs

Old 09-22-2007, 12:32 PM
96onefifty
Senior User
I had a 93 150 regcab long bed 4x4, Smashed the passenger door and ripped the mirror off sliding sideways down hill. Ripped out both motors mounts and the tranny mount climbing a short hill out of a mudhole. Blew drivers side axle ujoint apart and destroyed the inner and outer shafts. clutch, blew out a brand new 33x12.50 in a creek sharp peice on metal. Ripped a rear bumper off of a 3 day old dakota( the kid wrapped the chain around the bumper and said to yank him). Blew the motor up and wiped the trans out in my buddies fiero going wheeling it. blew out 2 rearends and 2 transfer cases in my buddies 89 f150. 2 trannys in my other buddies B2. Proably some more but thats what I can remember right now.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
You guys need to take it easy. I've done my share of 4 wheeling but at least I've always made it home with out an expensive repair bill. Except for the head on crash but that wasn't considered off road.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:53 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
We're only testing the limits of our machines off road .................................................. ......... and then breaking the limits in cool moments of romping on the skinny peddle........

Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 AM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
ellaboration on my damage: as mentioned in the OP i rolled a suburban, i figure i'l explain that more now.
my buddies suburban we use on the farm, about a... 94? or so with the diesel engine, stock everything. now we beat the crap out of this rig on the farm roads and through the fields enough just doing our jobs let alone when we go out for fun. we were going down what is usaully a very poorly built dirt road (more or less on the road) in the middle of a rainstorm, when this thing gets wet there is 12-24 inches of mud on it, and with all the dips and holes in it its like a 3 mile long mini-mud bog, specially in a stock suspensioned burban. anyways, cruisin through at about 60-65 in the middle of the night in a heavy rainstorm (heavy enough that it flodded out the county road later that night) and since the ground all looked the same, i missed a turn and ended up rompin through one of the unused fields, as i turned it to get back to the road we slid into an irrigation dicth and hit the passenger rear panel into the opposite side, slammed the entire passenger side into the enbankment and the suburban rolled up the ditch and rolled onto its side in the process.
we climb out and push it back over and after some manuvering in the flooded dicth, get out.
long story slightly less long, there is a small dent in the rear door and rear quarter panel, and a cracked tailight cover. near as i can figure, the side of the ditch must have been so soft from all the rain that we more of mushed into it, and didnt get any damage.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:59 PM
fattmann
Tuned
Man, the most i've had is a little fender damage trying to get unstuck, then again i do only have a two-wheel drive van (does a hell of a lot more than you'd think it would..).

However i did get hit in the face (jaw) with a high-lift jack fully loaded with my van off the ground, shattered a wisdom tooth. Remember to lube your tools, Before you use them...

Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,327 Posts
Other than some scratches here and there, I bent my front crossmember on my truck when I bottomed out on a trail. There was a 1' deep hole that was dug out by a large tire, and my damn IFS started bouncing and the x-member came down on the edge of the rut. It's not bent too bad, but enough to notice with the trained eye. Another big reason I want a SAS...

Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 AM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Old Rust Bucket
You guys need to take it easy. I've done my share of 4 wheeling but at least I've always made it home with out an expensive repair bill. Except for the head on crash but that wasn't considered off road.
then your not trying hard 'nuff

i saw the pics of the headon truck in your gallery...looks like a sh** your pants type of moment!

Quick Reply: whats your worst offroading damage?